Roger Powell To Valpo

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Roger Powell To Valpo

Postby BCPanther » April 12th, 2023, 9:43 am

Good news guys,

He's going to develop a culture and play fast.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 12th, 2023, 10:06 am

BCPanther wrote:Good news guys,

Mullins mentioned playing fast at his introductory presser.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 12th, 2023, 11:56 am

BCPanther wrote:Good news guys,

And ALSO play hard nosed, half court man to man defense!

He won opening press conference BINGO in five minutes.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby So iLL 24 » April 12th, 2023, 12:03 pm

I loved the Press Conference! I get to hear the Valpo Administration promise for at least a second time that they were going to build a new basketball arena.....
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby just ducky » April 12th, 2023, 4:08 pm

Lottich took over when Valpo had never been better. Powell takes over when Valpo has almost never been worse. That is a big difference. So yes Roger Powell was the first man offered when Bryce Drew left but I can understand him now viewing this as being a fun challenge instead of a burdensome responsibility to continue past success.

In keeping with the Easter Season the Valpo message board has arisen from the dead.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 18th, 2023, 12:25 am

Powell said in his Father Harry interview he has an assistant lined up who was an assistant in a program dominating the Valley. Wonder who’d that be. Has to be from Wichita or Loyola’s heyday.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 18th, 2023, 7:40 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Powell said in his Father Harry interview he has an assistant lined up who was an assistant in a program dominating the Valley. Wonder who’d that be. Has to be from Wichita or Loyola’s heyday.

It would have to be from one of Marshall's staffs. Loyola never 'dominated' The Valley in any way, shape or form.

Greg Heier is available...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » April 18th, 2023, 7:57 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Powell said in his Father Harry interview he has an assistant lined up who was an assistant in a program dominating the Valley. Wonder who’d that be. Has to be from Wichita or Loyola’s heyday.

Best guess is it's hyperbole on the media tour.

I'm sure others will have different criteria, but the only dominant runs I've seen in the Valley in the past 20ish years were from Wichita State from 2011-2017 and Southern Illinois from 2001-2007.

Both won five of six regular season titles. SIU's run, when you consider the state of the MVC at the time, was very, very impressive.

I can't see any of the WSU assistants from that era joining the Valpo staff. The only possible option is Isaac Brown and I'm guessing a guy from Mississippi who WSU just fired isn't going to Valparaiso.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 19th, 2023, 9:34 am

The assistant Powell told Father Harry "was an assistant on an MVC team dominating the Valley" ended up being Matt Gordon from Loyola. I remember he followed Porter to Oklahoma but I'm guessing Porter had to fire assistants after the last 2 years.

The assistant Powell told Father Harry "was a former head coach" ended up being Milwaukee's Pat Baldwin, who was the top assistant on the 2017 Northwestern team that clinched the school's first NCAA Tournament and won a game before losing to Gonzaga.

Pretty strong staff by Powell.
https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketb ... ing-staff/
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 19th, 2023, 10:14 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:The assistant Powell told Father Harry "was an assistant on an MVC team dominating the Valley" ended up being Matt Gordon from Loyola. I remember he followed Porter to Oklahoma but I'm guessing Porter had to fire assistants after the last 2 years.

The assistant Powell told Father Harry "was a former head coach" ended up being Milwaukee's Pat Baldwin, who was the top assistant on the 2017 Northwestern team that clinched the school's first NCAA Tournament and won a game before losing to Gonzaga.

Pretty strong staff by Powell.
https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketb ... ing-staff/

Yes. Very strong. Good job by him. Cleary Valpo gave him some $$$$ for his assistant coach pool.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball