CheeseheadCrusader
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Roger Powell To Valpo

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Roger Powell To Valpo

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 7th, 2023, 10:26 am

Didn't Powell turn down Valpo 7 years ago? Valpo was in a much better spot then.

Roger Powell Jr adds to the list of famous Jolietians.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 7th, 2023, 11:13 am

And I'm back baby! Super excited about this! If Powell does what we expect him to do we will show what a great addition we were to the league and as Belmont Murray and UIC get up to speed become a really strong perennial multibid league again! I'm so excited! It's long past time for Valpo to pull its weight in the MVC!
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » April 7th, 2023, 11:17 am

Hope he does better than the Gonzaga assistant Drake hired about 10 years ago.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 7th, 2023, 11:21 am

DUBulldog wrote:Hope he does better than the Gonzaga assistant Drake hired about 10 years ago.

Gonzaga is a much better program now than it was ten years ago. I realize that's Mark Few's doing but still it also speaks to the quality of his assistants. That team this year was not nearly the same level as the Final 4 teams Gonzaga has put together recently and that staff still got them to the Elite 8. I think Valpo and Powell will be just fine.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 7th, 2023, 11:47 am

DUBulldog wrote:Hope he does better than the Gonzaga assistant Drake hired about 10 years ago.

Shows what a crapshoot hiring assistants can be. Arizona and Boise St hire Gonzaga assistants and hit home runs. Drake hires a Gonzaga assistant who’s made a S16 and the program plummets into the 300s.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 7th, 2023, 12:02 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:

Shows what a crapshoot hiring assistants can be. Arizona and Boise St hire Gonzaga assistants and hit home runs. Drake hires a Gonzaga assistant who’s made a S16 and the program plummets into the 300s.

It has a helluva lot more to do with the financial commitment of the hiring university than it does the quality of the assistant. It's not a surprise that Drake got better when they hired Nico, and then Darian, and built a practice facility and started spending money.

I'm sure Powell is very good but if he doesn't have the financial or institutional support, it won't matter.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » April 7th, 2023, 12:39 pm

BCPanther wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:

It has a helluva lot more to do with the financial commitment of the hiring university than it does the quality of the assistant. It's not a surprise that Drake got better when they hired Nico, and then Darian, and built a practice facility and started spending money.

Practice facility was built during Giacoletti's time.

He did make a sweet 16 at Utah, with somebody else's players, then his record got worse each succeeding season.

Similar at Drake. His first season (with someone else's players) was by far his best, and then each season got worse.

Anyway, hope this works out for Valpo.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Drakey » April 7th, 2023, 3:58 pm

I think it has more to d with the coach than the financial commitment At least that is what I thought before NIL. Now it has to do more with money, but money with a bad coach won't get you too far.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jsaluki080 » April 8th, 2023, 11:19 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:And I'm back baby! Super excited about this! If Powell does what we expect him to do we will show what a great addition we were to the league and as Belmont Murray and UIC get up to speed become a really strong perennial multibid league again! I'm so excited! It's long past time for Valpo to pull its weight in the MVC!

Glad to have you back on the board. Hope Powell works out well for Valpo.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball