new SIU assistant

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: new SIU assistant

Postby Barkeep1967 » April 16th, 2023, 2:48 pm

I am stunned SIU pulled this off. Last week Illinois fans were pretty sure Jerrance was going to Illinois. If he gets the guys his reputation says he can SIU hit a home run. Nothing is guaranteed ever.

I am trying to set up an Interview with Coach Howard. I can’t wait to hear what he has to say.
Barkeep1967
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Salukimadness86 » April 16th, 2023, 4:46 pm

Barkeep1967 wrote:I am stunned SIU pulled this off. Last week Illinois fans were pretty sure Jerrance was going to Illinois. If he gets the guys his reputation says he can SIU hit a home run. Nothing is guaranteed ever.

I am trying to set up an Interview with Coach Howard. I can’t wait to hear what he has to say.

Big time hire. Hearing he has outstanding connections across the recruiting landscape. Huge commitment from SIU and strong showing of support for Coach Mullins. Next couple of weeks could prove very exciting. News coming soon. :D
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » April 16th, 2023, 8:14 pm

Still holding my excitement for now. I’m still pretty down about what we’ve “Built” for 4 years seemingly being ripped apart in a matter of about 3 days. But this hire gives me optimism that we can bring in some serious talent to compete this year. But I need to see a big signee or two to really get my excitement back.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PretzelDawg » April 17th, 2023, 8:21 am

Barkeep1967 wrote:I am stunned SIU pulled this off. Last week Illinois fans were pretty sure Jerrance was going to Illinois. If he gets the guys his reputation says he can SIU hit a home run. Nothing is guaranteed ever.

Agreed! I would love to see the angle that SIU used to get him to SIU. I hope it isn't a 3-month piece of being here and then jump to a Top 25 school who dangles more money.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » April 17th, 2023, 11:30 am

PretzelDawg wrote:

Agreed! I would love to see the angle that SIU used to get him to SIU. I hope it isn't a 3-month piece of being here and then jump to a Top 25 school who dangles more money.

He wasn't in coaching this last season. I understand the hire from SIU's perspective but the shine is off Jerrance quite a bit.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » April 19th, 2023, 9:48 am

Congrats to Saluki Insider who had this scooped 8 days ago:
https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status ... 8wqRSA0LoA
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby quatros_saluki » April 19th, 2023, 3:41 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
PretzelDawg wrote:

He wasn't in coaching this last season. I understand the hire from SIU's perspective but the shine is off Jerrance quite a bit.

He wasn't coaching because he was going to try his hand at being a sports agent, then had a change of heart. Its not like he was fired or something. The shine is not off at all.
quatros_saluki
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby quatros_saluki » April 19th, 2023, 3:42 pm

PretzelDawg wrote:

According to the article in the southern, when he heard SIU had an opening, he contacted them and applied, sounds like he made first contact about the job, not SIU.
quatros_saluki
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Barkeep1967 » April 21st, 2023, 9:55 am

Barkeep1967
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TylerDurden » April 21st, 2023, 10:19 am

I don't know about shine wearing off or not, who reached out first, etc., but generally speaking, one does not go from Illinois, to SMU (Larry Brown), to Kansas, to Texas, to SIU (or similar) without some concerns, regardless of trying his hand at being an agent or not.

I hope he's great for SIU. A good SIU is a win for the MVC.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball