John Higgins hanging up the whistle

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: John Higgins hanging up the whistle

Postby PretzelDawg » May 25th, 2023, 10:25 am

I always thought Higgins was a good referee. Sure, he missed some calls at times, but who doesn't? He was just easier to be noticed than others with his hair. John Higgins' Hair was a great twitter follow for a long time.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » May 25th, 2023, 12:02 pm

BigMacAttack wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
BigMacAttack wrote:

You've got it backwards. We get the good guys during the week and the dregs on the weekends.

There's a reason that 'Saturday Night in the Valley' is a thing.

It's an awful thing for college basketball that guys like HIggins and Mark Whitehead and Chris Rastatter and Terry Wymer have decided to leave the floor in the past couple years. Those guys were fantastic and hopefully they're allowed to have real influence in the next generation of officials from their administrative positions.

I am curious. Who do you and other posters think are the good guys? During the 2022-23 MVC season UE had 33 different officials work their home and away conference games. Out of those officials 13 of them also worked at least one game during the NCAA tournament. So give me your opinions on who the good league officials are.
For the record I realize UE has been at or near the bottom of the league since 2017 and that may factor into the high amount of officials assigned them. 13 of the 33 officials only worked a UE conference game one time.

Of the guys that work the Valley, minus Higgins now--

Kipp Kissinger
Gerry Pollard
Marques Pettigrew
Antinio Petty
Jeb Hartness
Ray Natili
Brooks Wells
Chance Moore
Amy Bonner
Bert Smith

Just below that group but still solid--
Rick Crawford
Darron George
Gary Maxwell
Ed Crenshaw
Brad Ferrie
Tyler Kumpf
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BigMacAttack » May 25th, 2023, 5:34 pm

Impressive list. I had to revise the officials total from 33 to 34. Who knew there is a Bert Smith and Bret Smith working the MVC.
So all the referees on your list except Darron George worked the NCAA tournament. Neither Higgins, Kissinger, nor George worked UE games last season.
Petty and Crawford worked 4 MVC games each. Maxwell worked 3 and Arch Madness. Pollard and Bonner worked 2 and Arch Madness. Pettigrew and Kumpf worked 2. The rest of the list worked 1 each.
Non-list multiple MVC games officials were: Gene Grimshaw 4; Bret Smith, Roland Simmons and Ervin Wilson 3; and Craig Murley, Brad Gaston, Brian McNuff, Winston Stith, and Rick O'Neill 2.
"Most rock journalism is people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read."- Frank Zappa.
BigMacAttack
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » May 26th, 2023, 7:35 am

BigMacAttack wrote:Impressive list. I had to revise the officials total from 33 to 34. Who knew there is a Bert Smith and Bret Smith working the MVC.
So all the referees on your list except Darron George worked the NCAA tournament. Neither Higgins, Kissinger, nor George worked UE games last season.
Petty and Crawford worked 4 MVC games each. Maxwell worked 3 and Arch Madness. Pollard and Bonner worked 2 and Arch Madness. Pettigrew and Kumpf worked 2. The rest of the list worked 1 each.
Non-list multiple MVC games officials were: Gene Grimshaw 4; Bret Smith, Roland Simmons and Ervin Wilson 3; and Craig Murley, Brad Gaston, Brian McNuff, Winston Stith, and Rick O'Neill 2.

Darron George got hurt during the CUSA Tournament otherwise I'm sure he'd have gotten the call.

The bottom part of your list are the 'Saturday Night in the Valley' guys that are a combination of older guys winding down (Stith, Murley, O'Neill, McNutt), guys that have been 'Saturday Night in the Valley' guys for a long time because they live in the footprint (Simmons, Grimshaw, Wilson, Gaston) and then you have some guys that are new to DI that are getting a taste of higher level (Shane Staggs, Kevin Driver).
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby achrist70 » May 30th, 2023, 7:12 pm

I'm not sure if he really officiates much anymore, I haven't seen him lately, but to me the worst official the Valley has had in recent history is Zelton Steed.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » May 31st, 2023, 12:26 pm

achrist70 wrote:I'm not sure if he really officiates much anymore, I haven't seen him lately, but to me the worst official the Valley has had in recent history is Zelton Steed.

He left the floor 3 or 4 years ago to be the SoCon Director of Officials.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 30ASaluki » June 5th, 2023, 2:08 pm

Birdfan2018 wrote:Can he take Gerry Pollard with him?

AND Referee Barbie.
30ASaluki
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball