Colorado/Utah/Arizona/ASU to XII; Washington/Oregon to B1G

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Colorado to Big XII; Washington/Oregon to B1G

Postby unipanther99 » August 4th, 2023, 2:27 pm

So if the four corners schools go to the Big-XII and the remaining PAC-whatever schools raid the Mountain West and AAC, thinking ahead a little here...

PAC-10
Cal, Stanford, Wazzu, Oregon St...
San Diego St, Boise St, UNLV, SMU, Fresno St, Colorado St.

MWC
Air Force, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose St, Hawaii (FB Only), Utah St, Wyoming...
NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Montana St, and...
Probably at least one more, right?

Does the AAC need to replace SMU?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 4th, 2023, 8:33 pm

Colorado Washington\Oregon are gone but also Arizona Arizona State Utah and Colorado. And rumors are that the BIg XII is considering two more. Not sure if it's going to be football members or olympics only. If it's footballl one has to believe that Cal and Stanford are the frontrunners if they can stomach the academic hit which they apparently can't with San Diego State Memphis and maybe USF and SMU I suppose being possibilities albeit highly unlikely. Some of the strongest rumors have it being UConn and Gonzaga Olympics only. Which would be an absolute disaster for UConn football given the increased travel costs for their Olympic sports. This would be an incredibly interesting test for Gonzaga's program one I fully expect them to pass. That conference will be an absolute meat grinder every game. Apparently Oregon and Washington are getting extremely low partial shares until the next TV deal where they will get full shares and the number starts out as less than the Four Corners are getting from the Big XII which is a full share for that conference even though it is the right long term play for the Ducks and the Huskies that has to be hard to stomach. I have to wonder how the remaining PAC schools are going to recover. Latch on to the Mountain West? Pick and choose from the best of the G5? ACC Invites? (probably only realistic for Stanford and Cal). And the ACC would need a stronger western pod for that to work. I used to think "No way The geography just doesn't work." But clearly nobody cares about any of that anymore.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » August 4th, 2023, 8:35 pm

With the most recent news tonight, I bet the PAC 12 is now going to destroy the Mountain West, just like the Big 12 did to the AAC when they lost Texas and Oklahoma .
Last edited by Kyle_Saluki_17 on August 4th, 2023, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Re: Colorado/Utah/Arizona/ASU to XII; Washington/Oregon to B

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 4th, 2023, 9:27 pm

There's talk of an outright merger between the two conferences. And as I said talk that the Big XII isn't done. Seems odd that the XII would go without any California presence or West Coast presence. But at a certain point it goes beyond adding value and becomes adding just to add. What I'm most interested in seeing is what (if anything) the Big East and WCC do to respond if UConn and Gonzaga leave those conferences. Is Dayton\SLU and (possibly but not likely) more enough to answer the loss of UConn for the BE? Is a St Mary's led WCC stronger than the current MVC? Would a merger between the PAC and MWC be enticing enough to Gonzaga assuming they don't have an offer from the Big XII? Would\should the MVC look to be aggressive and strengthen itself to improve its place in the new pecking order? I think a lot of this question is going to be answered by what UConn and Gonzaga do. If they both go to the Big XII it may be pointless to add anyone because the Big XII is going to eat up every conceivable at large bid. I'd still be interested in building a stronger and deeper conference to better prepare our champion for the tournament but I totally get the too many mouths to feed argument. If they stay and the next move from the Big XII is some combination of MWC or AAC schools then I think it would definitely pay for the MVC to be aggressive. One has to believe that the Big XII may want to look back to the eastern part of its footprint to balance out this large westward push. Though their commissioner seems to really value the ideas of being in all four time zones and making the strongest possible basketball conference so UConn and Gonzaga Olympics only is probably the play here.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » August 4th, 2023, 10:22 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:There's talk of an outright merger between the two conferences. And as I said talk that the Big XII isn't done. Seems odd that the XII would go without any California presence or West Coast presence. But at a certain point it goes beyond adding value and becomes adding just to add. What I'm most interested in seeing is what (if anything) the Big East and WCC do to respond if UConn and Gonzaga leave those conferences. Is Dayton\SLU and (possibly but not likely) more enough to answer the loss of UConn for the BE? Is a St Mary's led WCC stronger than the current MVC? Would a merger between the PAC and MWC be enticing enough to Gonzaga assuming they don't have an offer from the Big XII? Would\should the MVC look to be aggressive and strengthen itself to improve its place in the new pecking order? I think a lot of this question is going to be answered by what UConn and Gonzaga do. If they both go to the Big XII it may be pointless to add anyone because the Big XII is going to eat up every conceivable at large bid. I'd still be interested in building a stronger and deeper conference to better prepare our champion for the tournament but I totally get the too many mouths to feed argument. If they stay and the next move from the Big XII is some combination of MWC or AAC schools then I think it would definitely pay for the MVC to be aggressive. One has to believe that the Big XII may want to look back to the eastern part of its footprint to balance out this large westward push. Though their commissioner seems to really value the ideas of being in all four time zones and making the strongest possible basketball conference so UConn and Gonzaga Olympics only is probably the play here.

There is no one we could add that would make a difference. The realignment around us isn't going to leave a worthwhile addition Our games are on ESPN+ and sometimes CBS and we don't make money off tv deals. If something viable happens in the future we should be proactive and not like Doug Elgin, but until then just sit tight. Maybe watch for Missouri State to jump.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » August 5th, 2023, 6:16 am

Can MWC schools really afford to move to the PAC? They'd have to pay a $34M exit fee to join a conference without a TV deal.

Meanwhile UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston each paid $18M to the AAC to leave for the Big XII early.

Personally I think Stanford and Cal would rather go independent in football than be in a league with a bunch of MWC schools, whether that's with the PAC tag or the MWC tag. Honestly Cal and Stanford joining the WCC and going the "BYU Route" could make sense for them. Oregon State and Washington State on the other hand are perfect fits for the Mountain West.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby IllinoisState » August 5th, 2023, 8:40 am

mvfcfan wrote:Can MWC schools really afford to move to the PAC? They'd have to pay a $34M exit fee to join a conference without a TV deal.

Meanwhile UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston each paid $18M to the AAC to leave for the Big XII early.

Personally I think Stanford and Cal would rather go independent in football than be in a league with a bunch of MWC schools, whether that's with the PAC tag or the MWC tag. Honestly Cal and Stanford joining the WCC and going the "BYU Route" could make sense for them. Oregon State and Washington State on the other hand are perfect fits for the Mountain West.

They only need 9 teams to vote to dissolve the GOR. If nine teams get an invite then there's no problem.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » August 10th, 2023, 3:53 pm

Cal/Stanford rejected by ACC after their 10/15 votes fell short of the required 12/15 for membership.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 14th, 2023, 11:00 am

Some speculation that the ACC is holding off until after tomorrow to see what happens with their membership before moving forward. Not sure how warranted that is but there's still a part of me that thinks Cal Stanford and possibly SMU will eventually get in. For student and athlete recruiting purposes as well as cable revenue and academic association this move just makes too much sense. Why would a conference not want a California presence if they can get if it potentially comes at partial shares?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby racernation » August 14th, 2023, 11:18 am

Feeling bad for the non-revenue sports who have to fly across the country to face conference opponents.

The 60-something football teams from the Power 5/4/whatever just needs to break off the NCAA and away from conference affiliation and do their own thing.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball