Colorado/Utah/Arizona/ASU to XII; Washington/Oregon to B1G

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » July 26th, 2023, 3:16 pm

Another big domino falls for the 3rd straight summer. Wow.

BCPanther, you were right.
Last edited by MissouriValleyUnite on August 4th, 2023, 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Colorado to Big XII

Postby ColonialBulldog » July 26th, 2023, 4:22 pm

I'm watching two dominoes with the same name as far as relevance to MVC basketball - SDSU. The Fargo Forum has really been pushing an NDSU and SDSU to the Mountain West to replace San Diego State.

The WCF Courier suggests that St. Thomas would be the first candidate to "replace" ndsu/sdsu in the MVFC. Obviously that's clear speculation, but the small town newspaper journalist made some solid points on why that move makes logical sense. I would assume an invite for all sports to the mvc would accompany that move.

All of the above is 90% speculation. But it seems the most obvious path towards expansion that would affect MVC basketball.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » July 26th, 2023, 8:30 pm

ColonialBulldog wrote:I'm watching two dominoes with the same name as far as relevance to MVC basketball - SDSU. The Fargo Forum has really been pushing an NDSU and SDSU to the Mountain West to replace San Diego State.

The WCF Courier suggests that St. Thomas would be the first candidate to "replace" ndsu/sdsu in the MVFC. Obviously that's clear speculation, but the small town newspaper journalist made some solid points on why that move makes logical sense. I would assume an invite for all sports to the mvc would accompany that move.

All of the above is 90% speculation. But it seems the most obvious path towards expansion that would affect MVC basketball.

Here's where it gets interesting. If the P12 tv offer was inadequate enough that Colorado left, then why it would be good enough for Arizona or whoever? Especially as the already-inadequate tv offer is now weaker without Colorado than it was with Colorado. So if an Arizona follows Colorado and secures the $31.7 million, then an ASU asks the same question with an even weaker P12 tv offer than the already-weak offer with Arizona, and so on and so forth. That is all to say, more schools will likely follow Colorado one-by-one.

So that leaves a depleted P12 replenishing MWC/AAC schools and leaving the MWC, in particular, very diminished. This thing has the potential for a massive ripple effect. The MVC may move above a pillaged MWC and into the top-10 by default.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby racernation » July 27th, 2023, 7:05 am

Conference mergers or conference extinctions are coming. The days of 32 conferences are coming to an end.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » July 27th, 2023, 8:23 am

racernation wrote:Conference mergers or conference extinctions are coming. The days of 32 conferences are coming to an end.

I agree with this.

Here are my best guesses for this round if this is the true blowing up point (don't hold me to them :D )

--Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Washington, UConn to the Big 12. Oregon and Washington have a handshake agreement with the Big 12 that they are leaving as soon as the Big Ten comes calling so that we don't have a Texas with wandering eyes situation. The Big 12 is at 18.

--The remaining PAC schools (Cal, Stanford, Utah, Wazzu, Oregon State) keep the PAC name and invite Fresno State, San Diego State, Colorado State, SMU, Boise State, UNLV and Tulane to form the new PAC 12.

--The AAC grabs Air Force and Texas State to stay at 14 football and 15 basketball.

--The remaining MW schools (Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose, Utah State, Wyoming) after being turned down by multiple Sun Belt members, add Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State and Idaho as all sports members.

--The Sun Belt finally unseals the envelope and invites Missouri State to replace Texas State.

--UNI and Illinois State desperately look for an FBS life raft but don't find one and remain in the Valley after the MAC says no and CUSA says all sports or nothing.

--The Valley realizes that St Thomas isn't ready. Kansas City and Omaha haven't changed since the last time and there aren't any viable alternatives. The league reluctantly adds Oral Roberts to get back into Tulsa.

--The Summit is unable to convince anyone other than Augustana to jump and loses all of its autobids and folds.

--The Summit leftovers scatter. St Thomas to the Horizon. Denver, Kansas City and Omaha to the WAC. The Horizon reluctantly takes North Dakota and South Dakota to get to 14 and goes with a hard east/west division split (West: North Dakota, South Dakota, St Thomas, Green Bay, Milwaukee, IUPUI, Purdue Ft Wayne/ East: Cleveland State, Detroit, NKU, Oakland, Robert Morris, Wright State, Youngstown State)

--The Big Sky is down to 7 and is on life support. They call up Western Washington to get back to 8 but it's just a matter of time until Northern Arizona decides it doesn't want to be in a NW league anymore.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » July 27th, 2023, 9:09 am

BCPanther wrote:
racernation wrote:Conference mergers or conference extinctions are coming. The days of 32 conferences are coming to an end.

I agree with this.

Here are my best guesses for this round if this is the true blowing up point (don't hold me to them :D )

--Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Washington, UConn to the Big 12. Oregon and Washington have a handshake agreement with the Big 12 that they are leaving as soon as the Big Ten comes calling so that we don't have a Texas with wandering eyes situation. The Big 12 is at 18.

--The remaining PAC schools (Cal, Stanford, Utah, Wazzu, Oregon State) keep the PAC name and invite Fresno State, San Diego State, Colorado State, SMU, Boise State, UNLV and Tulane to form the new PAC 12.

--The AAC grabs Air Force and Texas State to stay at 14 football and 15 basketball.

--The remaining MW schools (Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose, Utah State, Wyoming) after being turned down by multiple Sun Belt members, add Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State and Idaho as all sports members.

--The Sun Belt finally unseals the envelope and invites Missouri State to replace Texas State.

--UNI and Illinois State desperately look for an FBS life raft but don't find one and remain in the Valley after the MAC says no and CUSA says all sports or nothing.

--The Valley realizes that St Thomas isn't ready. Kansas City and Omaha haven't changed since the last time and there aren't any viable alternatives. The league reluctantly adds Oral Roberts to get back into Tulsa.

--The Summit is unable to convince anyone other than Augustana to jump and loses all of its autobids and folds.

--The Summit leftovers scatter. St Thomas to the Horizon. Denver, Kansas City and Omaha to the WAC. The Horizon reluctantly takes North Dakota and South Dakota to get to 14 and goes with a hard east/west division split (West: North Dakota, South Dakota, St Thomas, Green Bay, Milwaukee, IUPUI, Purdue Ft Wayne/ East: Cleveland State, Detroit, NKU, Oakland, Robert Morris, Wright State, Youngstown State)

--The Big Sky is down to 7 and is on life support. They call up Western Washington to get back to 8 but it's just a matter of time until Northern Arizona decides it doesn't want to be in a NW league anymore.

Why would UNI and Illinois State look for an FBS life raft when the MVC appears to be the most stable conference in all of this “plan”?
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » July 27th, 2023, 9:33 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

I agree with this.

Why would UNI and Illinois State look for an FBS life raft when the MVC appears to be the most stable conference in all of this “plan”?

Football is separate from All Sports. They stay because CUSA won't let them just move football. They'd have to inquire about the MAC to cover all the bases but the MAC appears closed for anybody not named WKU and MTSU.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PretzelDawg » July 27th, 2023, 10:32 am

I expect some of the minor conferences in the FBS come back to the FCS. With all the money the big boys will get and the need for more TV time for all of them, there won't be money for the MACs of the world. They can also cut back on scholarships and such by stepping back down. It would make for a new, exciting world at the FCS level when this happens.

I like all the scenarios that were thrown out there, but I expect Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington to eventually end up in the Big 10. This gets them to 20 teams which is a good settling number and eases some of the travel for USC and UCLA.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » August 3rd, 2023, 11:01 am

Arizona Board of Regents (jurisdiction over both UA & ASU) has called a special executive meeting tonight for 8pm Mountain Time.

Washington Board of Regents has also called a special executive meeting tonight for 9pm Pacific Time.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby racernation » August 3rd, 2023, 11:10 am

Does the Pac 12 fold or survive and go after others?
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball