Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Preseason Mags

Postby BCPanther » September 20th, 2023, 12:37 pm

I see 4 pretty clear tiers:

Tier I: UNI, Drake, Bradley, Missouri State
Tier II: Belmont, Murray, Indiana State
Tier III: Illinois State, SIU, UIC
Tier XXXVIX: Evansville, Valpo

Belmont might be able to get to Tier I and Illinois State might be able to get to Tier II but the rest feels pretty solid to me
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » September 20th, 2023, 12:54 pm

Grabbed Lindy's last night, but have only looked at it a couple minutes and don't remember much. But I did see they had Belmont in the top 4 (4th) and Bradley outside it (but can't remember if they were 5th or 6th) - will update this tonight.

No surprises on the first-team either.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » September 20th, 2023, 1:44 pm

BCPanther wrote:I see 4 pretty clear tiers:

Belmont might be able to get to Tier I and Illinois State might be able to get to Tier II but the rest feels pretty solid to me

Don't see Indiana St and Belmont as having less than the top 4 do and they're well coached as well, but all the top 6 have some real question marks to answer.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » September 21st, 2023, 8:57 am

Honestly, I don't see clear separation from your Tier 1 and Tier 2.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » September 21st, 2023, 9:37 am

I wouldn't be surprised if one of those Tier III teams breaks into the upper half: all have enough intriguing ingredients to outperform expectations.

For Illinois State and UIC, they're going to need to figure out some more physicality/toughness on the interior, but both have pretty talented backcourts/wings. SIU actually has a lot of physical ingredients going for them and will be an impressive walking-through-the-airport team but the question is will enough scorers materialize.

I won't go into full predictions just yet but I think I like Drake-UNI as my top two and am most intrigued by Indiana State beyond that.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Birdfan2018 » September 21st, 2023, 2:52 pm

siudawgs wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if one of those Tier III teams breaks into the upper half: all have enough intriguing ingredients to outperform expectations.

For Illinois State and UIC, they're going to need to figure out some more physicality/toughness on the interior, but both have pretty talented backcourts/wings. SIU actually has a lot of physical ingredients going for them and will be an impressive walking-through-the-airport team but the question is will enough scorers materialize.

I won't go into full predictions just yet but I think I like Drake-UNI as my top two and am most intrigued by Indiana State beyond that.

Illinois State added some Physicality/toughness with 6’7” 235 lbs Monmouth transfer Myles Foster and 6’9” 290 lbs Freshman Chase Walker. 7’1” 230 lbs Illinois transfer Brandon Lieb may not be real physical, but he has spent the last three seasons going up against 7’0” 285 lbs Kofi Cockburn and 6’9” 270 lbs Dain Dainja in practice, so doubt that he will be shell shocked by anyone in the MVC.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bulldog4life24 » September 22nd, 2023, 10:13 am

Birdfan2018 wrote:
siudawgs wrote:

Illinois State added some Physicality/toughness with 6’7” 235 lbs Monmouth transfer Myles Foster and 6’9” 290 lbs Freshman Chase Walker. 7’1” 230 lbs Illinois transfer Brandon Lieb may not be real physical, but he has spent the last three seasons going up against 7’0” 285 lbs Kofi Cockburn and 6’9” 270 lbs Dain Dainja in practice, so doubt that he will be shell shocked by anyone in the MVC.

*Darnell has entered the chat*

All seriousness though I am intrigued to see what ISUr does with some actual interior presence this year
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball