MVC Schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Schedule

Postby BCPanther » September 22nd, 2023, 1:13 pm

E-Villan wrote:As crappy as most of the non-con schedules are, at this point, I am in favor of playing everyone twice. Plus, there are too many natural and potential rivalries being affected.

We don't need to guarantee the league an extra 12 losses.

We're a 1 bid league that needs to maximize seeding for whoever wins the bid.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ColonialBulldog » September 26th, 2023, 2:54 pm

BCPanther wrote:
E-Villan wrote:As crappy as most of the non-con schedules are, at this point, I am in favor of playing everyone twice. Plus, there are too many natural and potential rivalries being affected.

We don't need to guarantee the league an extra 12 losses.

We're a 1 bid league that needs to maximize seeding for whoever wins the bid.

I agree on not expanding the conference schedule. Actually, I'd vote to go back to 18 (and I prefer 16 conference games to 20 conference games.) Here's the numbers on how grueling 20 conference games are for teams:

A few conferences started playing 20 conference games about six years ago (and some have already stopped doing so). To date, there have been 23 separate 20-game conference schedules played. Of those 23 seasons, only SFA (19-1), FAU, UCLA, and Arizona (18-2) have reached 18-2 in conference. And only Marquette, Toledo, and Iona (x2) have gotten to the 17-3 mark. You're talking about national title/final four type squads that can survive/excel a 20-game conference schedule. If we're looking to get back to multi-bid league status, expanding conference play would be a bad idea.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball