C Jacob Hutson (6-11 250)...

BC probably knows more than I do - but I like:
Jacob Hutson
Tytan Anderson
Michael Duax
Nate Heise
Bowen Born

Not that Trey isn't great. But to compare:
Basically equal in minutes last year. Duax has an edge in points, steals, Box+/-, and (fewer)TOs. Trey is quite a bit better at FTs (0.786 vs 0.557). So I lean toward wanting Duax at the start and Trey at the end.

This is the first time that Campbell has spent as a basketball player full time (he was a P5 football recruit as well) and I've heard nothing but people raving about how he's looked over the summer and fall.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: 2023-24 Sarters?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BigMacAttack » October 11th, 2023, 10:09 am

UE held their fan fest last night on campus. The following teams consisted of these player who more than likely be the starting five (Orange) and the next five up (Purple).
Orange:
- Antonio Thomas 6'0" PG Bradley/KY Wesleyan grad transfer
- Cam Haffner 6'2" SG soph EIU transfer (won 3pt contest hitting 41/50 shots in 2 rounds)
- Kenny Strawbridge Jr. 6'6" SG 5th year senior 3rd team All-MVC
- Ben Humrichous 6'9" F senior transfer with 2 yrs eligibility
- Yacine Toumi 6'9" F senior

Purple:
- Tanner Cuff 6'6" PG junior Juco transfer
- Gage Bobe 6'0" SG 5th year senior
- Chuck Bailey III 6'4" combo G true freshman All Detroit metro
- Gui Tesch 6'9" F true freshman from Brazil
- Sekou Kalle 6'9" C junior

Josh Hughes 6'11" C was in a walking boot and did not play but is expected to see playing time.
"Most rock journalism is people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read."- Frank Zappa.
BigMacAttack
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jturner38 » October 12th, 2023, 2:59 pm

INSU
Potential Starters
Swope - 5'10 Transfer Quick, McCauley 2.0 shot-maker
Larry - 6'3 Has improved every season, Good defender
Conwell - 6'4 Transfer Big guard, can shoot, drive and finish
Kent - 6’9 Needs to up his shooting %, Good Cutter and Defender
Avila - 6’10 Expect a jump from last season

Top Reserves
Bledson - 6'6 Can be a starter but love his energy off the bench.
Gray - 6'7 Transfer Athletic Wing who avg 12.4 and 4.5 rpg last season at Niagara
Wolfe - 6'5 Transfer Glue Guy and can do everything
Daughtry - 6'7 freshman with a college body and should see the floor
Vorst - 6'10 Backup Freshman Center
Last edited by jturner38 on October 12th, 2023, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby siudawgs » October 12th, 2023, 6:22 pm

jturner38 wrote:INSU
Potential Starters
Kent - Needs to up his shooting %, Good Cutter and Defender
Avila - Expect a jump from last season

Top Reserves
Gray - 6'7 Transfer Athletic Wing who avg 12.4 and 4.5 rpg last season at Niagara

Read a couple weeks ago that Gray was in a boot and also still needed a waiver to be eligible. Curious about his status because he would be a key piece.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jturner38 » October 12th, 2023, 8:02 pm

siudawgs wrote:
jturner38 wrote:INSU
Potential Starters
Kent - Needs to up his shooting %, Good Cutter and Defender
Avila - Expect a jump from last season

Top Reserves

Read a couple weeks ago that Gray was in a boot and also still needed a waiver to be eligible. Curious about his status because he would be a key piece.

He’s fine, they were just being cautious. If you have X (formerly Twitter) you can see him practicing in the videos from Indiana State basketball account. Still waiting on NCAA to approve. They should know within the next week or two.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Adunk33 » October 17th, 2023, 12:43 pm

For the Redbirds, there are a lot of question marks right now. Having seen some practices and scrimmages, the team has a lot more depth than a season ago. In a perfect world, you probably want to get to a rotation of 9. I think these 9 will change based on personnel they're facing. I could see a couple different starting lineups.

Small:
1: Dalton Banks, SIU xfer, 6'2, 190
2. Darius Burford, 6'0, 175
3. Jordan Davis, Wisc xfer, 6'4, 200
4. Kendall Lewis, 6'8, 210lb
5. Myles Foster, Monmouth xfer, 6'7, 235lb

Foster is a physical forward with a 7'+ wingspan. He could match up with another team's five.

Now, if they wanted to go with a "more traditional" line up, that would move Lewis or Foster to the bench with 7'1, Brandon Lieb, Illannoy xfer taking his spot.

Now for the bench, 6'3 Malachi Poindexter is a name Valley fans will remember from last year. The Virginia xfer was forced to play PG last year when he has even said he's more comfortable off the ball. Now, he'll be able to spell Burford and play off the ball. Pedon brought in two legit PGs in Banks and Mr. Basketball Wisconsin, 5'11 Johnny Kinziger. I watched him a lot in HS and he's a baller and in complete control of the game. Johnny and Banks have been battling and it wouldn't surprise me to see JK take over the reigns by the end of the year. Spelling Jordan Davis will be K-State xfer, 6'5 Luke Kasubke. He started some games for the Birds last year but really seemed to find his rhythm coming off the bench. Lewis and Foster will spell each other at the 4. Assuming he can get and stay healthy, giving Lieb a breather will be 6'9, 290lb freshman, Chase Walker. Walker was my biggest question going into this season, thinking he would be a good RS candidate but the kid is ready. He is a physical force that can move and shows touch around the rim but his best aspect is his passing. During a recent scrimmage, he had assists on 3 or 4 consecutive possessions.

Right now, I would say those are the top 10. A name I haven't mentioned yet is freshman, 6'6 Ty Pence. He 100% absolutely will play. He just looked like a freshman compared to the other two in his class. He's versatile, can score and defend at a high level but there will be a learning curve. Offensively he'll be a 3 or small 4 but can guard 1-4.

The others that are left are 6'10, Ryan Schmitt who is a really sound, fundamental player but at times he's physically outmatched. Then there's returner Harouna Sissoko, fans were a little surprised he decided to return after going through senior day activities last year. He's is ultra-athletic and made the game saving block in the Return to Horton game last season. You might be thinking, hasn't he been at ILST forever? Why yes, he has. Sissoko got to ILST for the 2019-20 season and redshirted the '21-22 season. With the COVID year, he actually has this and next season of eligibility.

There is an event Thursday night this week and the exhibition is a week from Sunday. We made it folks, basketball is back!
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » October 21st, 2023, 10:28 am

I sometimes think "depth" is one of the most overrated things in sports. What it often means is a team has a bunch of average guys who are all the same.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » October 21st, 2023, 11:44 am

tribecalledquest wrote:I sometimes think "depth" is one of the most overrated things in sports. What it often means is a team has a bunch of average guys who are all the same.

I assume you're suggesting that Bradley doesn't have much depth?
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bcg » October 22nd, 2023, 5:35 pm

Everybody says they have depth in September/October.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » October 23rd, 2023, 8:05 am

hot nuts wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:I sometimes think "depth" is one of the most overrated things in sports. What it often means is a team has a bunch of average guys who are all the same.

I assume you're suggesting that Bradley doesn't have much depth?

I’m not suggesting that at all.

After the Red White game many fans are touting the depth and how BU could go 12 deep. I doubt it. While there are expectations you need probably three dudes who are clearly better than everyone else and they get 33-35 minutes a game. Not that many minutes to go around after that.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball