Official 2023-24 MVCfans.com Prediction - 9th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 9th place during the 2023-24 MVC mens basketball season?

Poll ended at October 17th, 2023, 8:59 am

Belmont
No votes
Bradley
2%
Drake
2%
Illinois St
31%
Indiana St
2%
Missouri St
2%
Murray State
9%
SIU
44%
UNI
7%

Total votes : 45

Postby MVCfans » October 14th, 2023, 8:59 am

Every couple of days we will open a poll for users to predict the end of season finish for the MVC 2023-24 basketball season. We will work in reverse order, concluding with the predicted MVC champion chosen by our users between the last two teams remaining.

UIC was recently selected as the likely 10th place finisher (results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6073 )

Poll 4 - Who will finish in 9th place during the 2023-24 MVC men's basketball season?
-You are choosing the team that you believe will finish in 9th place for this regular season.

Official MVCfans.com - Predictions:
12th Place - Valparaiso
11th Place - Evansville
10th Place- UIC
9th Place .....
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Official 2023-24 MVCfans.com Prediction - 9th Place

Postby Birdfan2018 » October 14th, 2023, 11:06 am

Is there a way you can keep track of everyone’s votes so that at the end of the season you can show who had the most accurate prediction?
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SalukiWorld » October 14th, 2023, 6:32 pm

Between ISU Red and SIU for me and I'm going SIU. Think Illinois State had a better offseason.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sivert » October 14th, 2023, 8:35 pm

I agree. ISUr recruited well and I also picked SIU here.

Ok. Really? Who picked UNI? Is that just animosity? Or what’s the thought process?
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » October 15th, 2023, 7:54 am

sivert wrote:I agree. ISUr recruited well and I also picked SIU here.

Ok. Really? Who picked UNI? Is that just animosity? Or what’s the thought process?

I didn't pick them there , but I don't think you can totally dismiss the thought process for someone who did. I always give UNI a + bump for the Jake factor, but anyone looking at the basic data could defend their position.UNI was 14-18 , with 8 home losses and finished the year going 2-9 down the stretch. They were relatively young and return most everything and get some returning injured, but really didn't make any big impact additions. Hutson was a nonfactor for Loyola the last 2 years, but will probably help more than that, but still I could understand someone looking at the basic data and not being impressed.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » October 15th, 2023, 2:41 pm

Birdfan2018 wrote:Is there a way you can keep track of everyone’s votes so that at the end of the season you can show who had the most accurate prediction?

Yeah, let me know so I can go change my vote!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » October 15th, 2023, 3:16 pm

I think Murray is being given too much credit going into the preseason by many, considering:

1). They got blown out of the water in several games with this core group last year. Why? Something ain't quite right ... chemistry, coaching, leadership? Not sure, but something seems off.
2). They have one of the weakest frontcourts, on paper, in the league.
3). Their best player, Perry, is definitely a scorer, but is he a winning player/leader?

I am not one of those Murray-hating SIU people ... they definitely have a nice backcourt, but I see them as likely to be a bottom-half team, possibly in the 9th/10th range.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SalukiWorld » October 15th, 2023, 3:36 pm

siudawgs wrote:I think Murray is being given too much credit going into the preseason by many, considering:

1). They got blown out of the water in several games with this core group last year. Why? Something ain't quite right ... chemistry, coaching, leadership? Not sure, but something seems off.
3). Their best player, Perry, is definitely a scorer, but is he a winning player/leader?

I am not one of those Murray-hating SIU people ... they definitely have a nice backcourt, but I see them as likely to be a bottom-half team, possibly in the 9th/10th range.

Murray might have the best group of guards in the Valley. I worry about their frontcourt but I think they have enough to be middle of the pack.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » October 15th, 2023, 3:47 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:
siudawgs wrote:I think Murray is being given too much credit going into the preseason by many, considering:

Murray might have the best group of guards in the Valley. I worry about their frontcourt but I think they have enough to be middle of the pack.

I think that depends on what kind of year Wood has. He was pretty up-and-down last season. Maybe he bounces back.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RacerJoeD » October 15th, 2023, 4:55 pm

Anybody who says they know what Murray will do this season is full of it. That’s including Racer fans. But in my opinion last season, the biggest problem is that you saw a team completely build a roster, a coaching staff, a team culture. That’s a big ask for any coach.

My thoughts on Murray this season-

Questions about frontcourt depth are well founded. Abdelgowad was a rotation big on a really good JUCO team. In my experience as a fan, most JUCOs need at least a semester to get their feet under them in D1. His production will be a key part of how good the Racers are.

Second question is “who makes the leap”. Last season, the Racers were trying to ease a couple four star freshmen into D1 basketball. Sam Murray show really flashes and so did Justin Morgan. Murray at 6’9” is freaky athletic. Morgan at 6’7” has it in him to be a great shooter and isn’t afraid of defending the 4. Those guys will be looked at to make an impact.

Lastly, the newcomers. John McCrear is recovering from a knee injury during his senior year. Alden Applewhite will be redshirting. Nick Ellington will be looked at to be a tough guy in the post almost immediately. Shawn Walker transferred from Mercer who will be looked at to be an outside shooter (40% career from 3). Freshman 4 star pg was a scoring machine in high school and could add some skillset depth.

Strength is at the 1-2-3 for the Racers. Integrating Moore, Wood, and Perry better will make a huge difference. Wood is a very good outside shooter as is Perry, but wear and tear caused problems last season. A full off-season and a good grasp of the playbook should help. I have the Racers higher than this.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball