0-0-1 UIC
0-1-0 UE
0-0-0 VU
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: MVC preseason poll

Postby BuBrave2006 » October 18th, 2023, 9:30 am

Why do we need 6 people on 2nd and 3rd teams. Was there really two ties for the last spot on each?
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TBS_20 » October 18th, 2023, 10:16 am

its just feels like uni will not show up again.
TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby sivert » October 18th, 2023, 11:05 am

TBS_20 wrote:its just feels like uni will not show up again.

Yeah, I get that people feel that way. Last year, UNI suffered from not having a true big. Basically played small-to-medium-ball all year. So my expectation/hope is that having Hutson will make everyone better. That and healing from last year's injuries (Born, Heise, Henry) has us pretty hopeful in Cedar Falls. We will see.
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby So iLL 24 » October 18th, 2023, 12:43 pm

sivert wrote:

Yeah, I get that people feel that way. Last year, UNI suffered from not having a true big. Basically played small-to-medium-ball all year. So my expectation/hope is that having Hutson will make everyone better. That and healing from last year's injuries (Born, Heise, Henry) has us pretty hopeful in Cedar Falls. We will see.

Hutson is definitely a huge body that had a lot of hype coming out of High School. But he averaged 6 minutes a game for an abysmal Loyola team that probably would have finished only above UE, UIC, and Valpo last year in the valley. His presence will potentially make UNI better on defense, however, Anderson flourished down low all season due to his athleticism compared to other school's bigs.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » October 18th, 2023, 1:40 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:
sivert wrote:

Hutson is definitely a huge body that had a lot of hype coming out of High School. But he averaged 6 minutes a game for an abysmal Loyola team that probably would have finished only above UE, UIC, and Valpo last year in the valley. His presence will potentially make UNI better on defense, however, Anderson flourished down low all season due to his athleticism compared to other school's bigs.

The coaching change screwed Hutson. He and Valentine didn't exactly see eye to eye on a lot of things. Seems to have happened to a bunch of Porter's guys there.

He's also now dropped 20 pounds and looks great. He doesn't have to be great for UNI to be good. He has to be decent defensively and be enough of a threat around the bucket to give Anderson some more space to operate.

We'll know early. That first month of the schedule is an absolute bitch.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » October 18th, 2023, 2:14 pm

I fully respect Jake, and UNI has some nice pieces, but I really have a hard time understanding why so many people are picking an 8th place team that was 14-18 with 8 home losses and ended the season 2-9 and really haven't added much, as high as they are. Jake factor I guess . Not that the teams they've jumped ahead of don't have some question marks as no one in the Valley is a sure bet this year. Drake, while the favorite, is looking for a lot of contribution and quick cohesion from at least 3 new starters , and everyone else has some significant holes to fill, but teams like Bradey, Indiana St , Belmont, and even MSU were just better last year than UNI and return some solid rosters despite the holes.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bulldog4life24 » October 18th, 2023, 5:37 pm

If UNI can stay healthy, their group of guards and wings will compete with anyone. Thats what matters in February and March. Lots of teams with new backcourt groups that need to gel (including Drake). UNI doesn't really have that issue.

I don't think its hard at all to see UNI competing for the top. They aren't besting the Bulldogs at season's end of course, but they'll be up there :dance:
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball