Secret Scrimmage scores

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Secret Scrimmage scores

Postby tribecalledquest » October 29th, 2023, 8:25 pm

bluestreak wrote:Never meant for these secret scrimmage scores to be a prediction of the season - can't we all just have some fun? Good grief.

I understand that.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BuBrave2006 » October 30th, 2023, 9:50 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Even posting final scores is misleading. I know we all want information on our teams and what not - but these results tell us nothing.

They don't tell us "nothing." Yes, we all know they need to be taken with several grains of salt. But when I see Indiana State "beat" Cincinnati, Ryan Conwell scored 19 points and Robbie Avila didn't play, those pieces of information are meaningful to me.

If absolutely nothing else, It means I can probably expect Ryan Conwell to be a contributor for Indiana State. We he for sure? Who knows (cue Tyrone Cole-Scott comparisons). But its at least a positive indicator. Seeing that they "beat" Cincinnati is whatever, but it sure feels a lot better to see that they "won" without Avila than it would feel to see if it was reported that they lost by 40 an Avila played the whole game.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SycamoreBLUE02 » October 30th, 2023, 11:07 am

While I agree, you don't take them for full face value, these games can show you an idea of what you've got. It is encouraging that Indiana State won without what coach Schertz calls his best all around player. However, I am mostly excited to see Conwell emerge as a high level scoring threat. Conwell was heavily recruited by our staff in HS, but he ultimately chose USF. Coach has mentioned several times he was really happy to be able to get him after he hit the portal because "he fits our system so well." 2 scrimmage games in and that seems like an understatement. Conwell scored 30 against Northern Kentucky and now 19 against Cincy. I was hopeful we could get a bulk scorer to replace McCauley, but wasn't sure we would.....so this is very encouraging.
SycamoreBLUE02
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby ISUSOX13 » October 30th, 2023, 11:54 am

Not a secret scrimmage, but ISUR looked solid in an exhibition game against crosstown foe Illinois Wesleyan.

The Redbirds look to have a lot more depth than they've had in quite some time. Going to be an interesting squad.
ISUSOX13
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TylerDurden » October 30th, 2023, 12:11 pm

Illinois beat Kansas in a secret scrimmage, 82-75. Bill Self loved being there and Marcus Domask scored 11.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » October 30th, 2023, 1:58 pm

TylerDurden wrote:Illinois beat Kansas in a secret scrimmage, 82-75. Bill Self loved being there and Marcus Domask scored 11.

I was watching that secret scrimmage on tv. Homecoming for Bill Self.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » October 30th, 2023, 2:37 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Even posting final scores is misleading. I know we all want information on our teams and what not - but these results tell us nothing.

They don't tell us "nothing." Yes, we all know they need to be taken with several grains of salt. But when I see Indiana State "beat" Cincinnati, Ryan Conwell scored 19 points and Robbie Avila didn't play, those pieces of information are meaningful to me.

If absolutely nothing else, It means I can probably expect Ryan Conwell to be a contributor for Indiana State. We he for sure? Who knows (cue Tyrone Cole-Scott comparisons). But its at least a positive indicator. Seeing that they "beat" Cincinnati is whatever, but it sure feels a lot better to see that they "won" without Avila than it would feel to see if it was reported that they lost by 40 an Avila played the whole game.

I hear you - but the "games" aren't played exactly like a regular game. I assure you what reports come from the Cincinnati staff are different than what the Indiana State staff reports. It's all state run information :)
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jturner38 » October 30th, 2023, 2:56 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:

I hear you - but the "games" aren't played exactly like a regular game. I assure you what reports come from the Cincinnati staff are different than what the Indiana State staff reports. It's all state run information :)

Secret scrimmages are not all run the same but Cincinnati report is not going be different. They are either ran in segments or like a scrimmage. Example UNI-Wisconsin they played 3 segments and it was reported as such. INSU-Cincinatti was a scrimmage.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » October 30th, 2023, 5:32 pm

Reported by who? No outside, neutral sources are allowed.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby racernation » October 31st, 2023, 6:09 am

Murray beat Jacksonville State at a neutral site in a 40 minute game. Biggest concern was JSU had 21 offensive rebounds. Racers are small.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball