Official 2023-24 MVCfans.com Prediction - 4th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 4th place during the 2023-24 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at November 3rd, 2023, 5:13 am

Bradley
24%
Drake
2%
Indiana St
26%
UNI
48%

Total votes : 42

Re: Official 2023-24 MVCfans.com Prediction - 4th Place

Postby tribecalledquest » November 1st, 2023, 9:57 pm

I’m not saying Bradley should be picked to win or that I would pick them to win. But they are the defending league champions with most of the roster back. Dismissing them as a potential champion seems shortsighted.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bigdawg » November 3rd, 2023, 5:51 am

Glad to see that you all finally got this right.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » November 3rd, 2023, 8:15 am

tribecalledquest wrote:I’m not saying Bradley should be picked to win or that I would pick them to win. But they are the defending league champions with most of the roster back. Dismissing them as a potential champion seems shortsighted.

I would say that picking Bradley in the top 3-4 is hardly ruling them out of title consideration.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » November 3rd, 2023, 8:49 am

Not sure we're going to beat the buzzer of the season at the pace this poll is going.

I hope Indiana State's results against Saint Mary-of-the-Woods on Monday doesn't skew the outcome too heavily ... :P
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ColonialBulldog » November 3rd, 2023, 10:06 am

It is basically impossible to replace the intangibles that Penn, Sturtz, and Wilkins brought to Drake. I think Drake is counting on Brodie and Tucker to step-up in leadership.

But there are two reasons I'm personally very optimistic about the Bulldogs this year. First, the guys that transferred in were elite offensive players in their respective conferences. None of those conferences were on the same level as the Valley, I get that. Plus, what I saw last night from true freshmen Kevin Overton and Colby Garland suggests this team could be an offensive juggernaut. I would be shocked if this team isn't better offensively.

Second, Drake has basically had the same roster for 5 years now. While Brodie improved massively and Tucker took a big step last year, there just wasn't a lot of room for growth with all of the 24-year-olds. Really, Drake's improvement last year was due to being mostly healthy throughout the year. It's been forever since we've injected this much new blood into the rotation. I think that pays off big time by the time February rolls around. By the way, I am in no way trying to disparage Penn, Sturtz, Wilkins, or the Murphy's. Those guys are forever legends in Des Moines.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TylerDurden » November 3rd, 2023, 11:56 am

siudawgs wrote:Not sure we're going to beat the buzzer of the season at the pace this poll is going.

I hope Indiana State's results against Saint Mary-of-the-Woods on Monday doesn't skew the outcome too heavily ... :P

Just need to be finished by Thanksgiving :)
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » November 3rd, 2023, 12:25 pm

Drakey wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:I’m not saying Bradley should be picked to win or that I would pick them to win. But they are the defending league champions with most of the roster back. Dismissing them as a potential champion seems shortsighted.

I would say that picking Bradley in the top 3-4 is hardly ruling them out of title consideration.

Of course not. But the discussion thus far has really only focused on Drake and UNI. Unless I've missed something.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » November 3rd, 2023, 1:01 pm

Drakey wrote:

I would suggest that saying Drake and UNI are the top 2 teams and no one else is close, is pretty much ruling Bradley and everyone else out.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » November 3rd, 2023, 2:50 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Drakey wrote:

I would suggest that saying Drake and UNI are the top 2 teams and no one else is close, is pretty much ruling Bradley and everyone else out.

Please note that was a UNI fan making that statement. I think 5-6 teams have a shot.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » November 3rd, 2023, 3:30 pm

I know, i was just supporting the comment by tribe that indeed a statement had been made dismissing Bradley's chance at a championship. I would imagine especially post noncon, that any UNI losses will be duly noted. But that shouldn't happen , given no other team sans Drake is "close" to UNI's level.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball