MVC Games Week 2 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 2 2023-24

Postby BUFanatic » November 17th, 2023, 8:50 pm

Well it was fun while it lasted. Took IL 20 minutes to figure out they could put bodies on Valpo. SIU take care of business and on to Belmont in about an hour.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ValleyFAN » November 17th, 2023, 9:37 pm

Nice win for Missouri State over FGCU. 70-61. Led by as many as 20. Chance Moore (ankle) did not play. Another chance against a quality opponent in Kent State on Sunday.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BUFanatic » November 17th, 2023, 9:40 pm

So IL will have played Eastern, Western, and Valpo this month. What do they have against scheduling in state Valley members like Bradley, ISU, and SIU?
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jsaluki080 » November 17th, 2023, 9:54 pm

BUFanatic wrote:Well it was fun while it lasted. Took IL 20 minutes to figure out they could put bodies on Valpo. SIU take care of business and on to Belmont in about an hour.

I couldn't watch the games. Just saw the score updates. What do you mean they could put bodies on Valpo? I'm just curious what happened in the game as this was definitely a tale of 2 halves.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Chuck A » November 17th, 2023, 10:08 pm

BUFanatic wrote:So IL will have played Eastern, Western, and Valpo this month. What do they have against scheduling in state Valley members like Bradley, ISU, and SIU?

They have recruits to lose (so they fear). They haven't played us since 2015. With 4 other Illinois schools in a tough conference, their chances of losing increases with each game. With losses, the winning school could use that against Illinois and in their favor. Illinois is not like a Duke, North Carolina or Kansas, which sell themselves. UIUC needs a decent to good coach to recruit. In reality, they are not that far ahead of the aforementioned Valley schools.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BUFanatic » November 17th, 2023, 10:30 pm

jsaluki080 wrote:
BUFanatic wrote:Well it was fun while it lasted. Took IL 20 minutes to figure out they could put bodies on Valpo. SIU take care of business and on to Belmont in about an hour.

I couldn't watch the games. Just saw the score updates. What do you mean they could put bodies on Valpo? I'm just curious what happened in the game as this was definitely a tale of 2 halves.

I’m down in Chambana now so I listened to it on the radio. IL has a size advantage and for some reason they played some weird soft D in the first half and didn’t go in the paint early on. Jacked up 3s and mid range jumpers. They got into foul trouble early but I’m not sure how.

On radio it just sounded like they played soft first half and played a lot tougher in the second half. That being said I was having a hard time telling if IL wasn’t using the size advantage or if Valpo was just the better team.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BUFanatic » November 17th, 2023, 10:34 pm

Chuck A wrote:
BUFanatic wrote:So IL will have played Eastern, Western, and Valpo this month. What do they have against scheduling in state Valley members like Bradley, ISU, and SIU?

They have recruits to lose (so they fear). They haven't played us since 2015. With 4 other Illinois schools in a tough conference, their chances of losing increases with each game. With losses, the winning school could use that against Illinois and in their favor. Illinois is not like a Duke, North Carolina or Kansas, which sell themselves. UIUC needs a decent to good coach to recruit. In reality, they are not that far ahead of the aforementioned Valley schools.

Fair point I guess, at this stage I wouldn’t even mind doing a twofer going to Champaign. Remember that 2015 game well. Vegas + Maniscalco + Free Throws must still give IL fans nasty feelings.

I remember several years ago when Loyola was in the conference the top four teams in the state were Loyola, Southern, Bradley, and ISUr (somehow). IL was 5th. Understand from their perspective but I hate it.

If I understand correctly this matchup with Valpo happened because their new coach played for IL.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » November 18th, 2023, 3:08 pm

Chuck A wrote:

Potentially losing recruits has nothing to do with it. They have played most of the other schools at times over the years. There aren’t that many games on the schedule for Illinois to play everyone.

It’s a no win situation for the Illini to host a decent-good MVC team.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » November 18th, 2023, 3:12 pm

Evansville crushed Ball St by 24. Wow.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BigMacAttack » November 18th, 2023, 3:35 pm

UE led 30-27 at the half then went on a 17-1 run the first 7 minutes of the 2nd half. Strawbridge 13, Hughes 12, Humrichous 12.
"Most rock journalism is people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read."- Frank Zappa.
BigMacAttack
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball