Overly Excited Early Season Assessment

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Overly Excited Early Season Assessment

Postby usmcsaluki » November 16th, 2023, 5:30 pm

These conversations are always fun, but ultimately it's just too early since these ranking systems are built off preseason or even last year's data; there will be so much variability here so league rankings will really fluctuate as reality of this season hits and teams either rise above or fall below preseason expectations.

But regardless, totally agree with others on some very promising developments so far with the Valley, particularly with Evansville and UIC. I'd have to look back through KenPom the last few years, but it would be cool to have the entire league < 200 or somewhere around there (with of course a handful of teams in the top 75 or better).
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby municup14 » November 17th, 2023, 5:09 am

I dont think it really matters anymore on where the conference stands.The way the NCAA changed the teams they pick for the NIT its irrelevant. MVC will probably be a one bid conference. No NIT
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BuBrave2006 » November 17th, 2023, 8:27 am

municup14 wrote:I dont think it really matters anymore on where the conference stands.The way the NCAA changed the teams they pick for the NIT its irrelevant. MVC will probably be a one bid conference. No NIT

I agree. Why even play the season? I'm not even paying attention until we get to St. Louis.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » November 17th, 2023, 12:05 pm

It's always fun to conjecture and you can identify any number of ways the MVC might get multiple bids, but in reality it 's a simple numbers game and the odds are very stacked against it. To begin with there are only 36 at large bids and 32 conferences . The p-6 generally average between 6-8 bids per overall , meaning on the low side they'll get 30 of those , on the high side probably 35 most years. That means for conferences 7-32 there are usually 6 at most and often 3-4 bids available. That will become even less with re-alighnment as teams used to getting an at large from non p-5 conferences now will be in those conferences, so teams like Cinn, Houston, BYU, will be in even better position. As that happens , look for several p-6 to average 8-10 bids .
Will there be years that are exceptions , probably, but the likelihood of the Valley ever being a consistent multiple bid league under the current format is pretty remote.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » November 17th, 2023, 3:08 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:It's always fun to conjecture and you can identify any number of ways the MVC might get multiple bids, but in reality it 's a simple numbers game and the odds are very stacked against it. To begin with there are only 36 at large bids and 32 conferences . The p-6 generally average between 6-8 bids per overall , meaning on the low side they'll get 30 of those , on the high side probably 35 most years. That means for conferences 7-32 there are usually 6 at most and often 3-4 bids available. That will become even less with re-alighnment as teams used to getting an at large from non p-5 conferences now will be in those conferences, so teams like Cinn, Houston, BYU, will be in even better position. As that happens , look for several p-6 to average 8-10 bids .
Will there be years that are exceptions , probably, but the likelihood of the Valley ever being a consistent multiple bid league under the current format is pretty remote.

And it's not just a Valley issue. The A10 is in the same boat. The AAC will be in years Memphis wins the league tournament and the Mountain West will be in years San Diego State wins the tournament.

The Mountain West doing absolutely nothing with all the extra bids the past couple of years is going to hurt us all.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 17th, 2023, 11:44 pm

UIC and Evansville are definitely better than last year. Even Valpo if you can believe it is better. I hoped against reason that the Beacons were going to pull off that win against Illinois but it seems like it will be a long first year for Roger Powell with hopefully things to build on for year 2. It pains me to see my school as such a drag on a conference I have dearly loved since I was young and had always wished Valpo could be a part of. I hope one day VU will truly earn its place in this league. I remain faintly cautiously hopeful but that hope really wavered after the IUPUI loss. I fear that the program really might be a one family program that is nothing without the Drews who are not walking back through that door. I dearly hope I'm wrong. Also I have to give some serious love to UIC. I gave them a lot of crap (undeservedly and unjustifiably as I am a Valpo fan given what Valpo has been to the MVC in basketball) and they got the conference a nice win over Loyola an A-10 opponent. I know Loyola is down but it's still great to see that a school that thought it was too good for the MVC lost to its direct replacement. The Flames absolutely ooze potential athletically. If they can make good on it (and they are already showing signs) they may one day become one of the strongest adds the MVC has ever made.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » November 18th, 2023, 3:05 pm

BCPanther wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:It's always fun to conjecture and you can identify any number of ways the MVC might get multiple bids, but in reality it 's a simple numbers game and the odds are very stacked against it. To begin with there are only 36 at large bids and 32 conferences . The p-6 generally average between 6-8 bids per overall , meaning on the low side they'll get 30 of those , on the high side probably 35 most years. That means for conferences 7-32 there are usually 6 at most and often 3-4 bids available. That will become even less with re-alighnment as teams used to getting an at large from non p-5 conferences now will be in those conferences, so teams like Cinn, Houston, BYU, will be in even better position. As that happens , look for several p-6 to average 8-10 bids .

And it's not just a Valley issue. The A10 is in the same boat. The AAC will be in years Memphis wins the league tournament and the Mountain West will be in years San Diego State wins the tournament.

The Mountain West doing absolutely nothing with all the extra bids the past couple of years is going to hurt us all.

Good point on the MW.

They were always just good enough to get beat once they stepped on the big stage.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby So iLL 24 » November 19th, 2023, 10:10 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:UIC and Evansville are definitely better than last year. Even Valpo if you can believe it is better. I hoped against reason that the Beacons were going to pull off that win against Illinois but it seems like it will be a long first year for Roger Powell with hopefully things to build on for year 2. It pains me to see my school as such a drag on a conference I have dearly loved since I was young and had always wished Valpo could be a part of. I hope one day VU will truly earn its place in this league. I remain faintly cautiously hopeful but that hope really wavered after the IUPUI loss. I fear that the program really might be a one family program that is nothing without the Drews who are not walking back through that door. I dearly hope I'm wrong. Also I have to give some serious love to UIC. I gave them a lot of crap (undeservedly and unjustifiably as I am a Valpo fan given what Valpo has been to the MVC in basketball) and they got the conference a nice win over Loyola an A-10 opponent. I know Loyola is down but it's still great to see that a school that thought it was too good for the MVC lost to its direct replacement. The Flames absolutely ooze potential athletically. If they can make good on it (and they are already showing signs) they may one day become one of the strongest adds the MVC has ever made.

Valpo better? No way! How do you lose Ben Krikke (IMO the most valuable player in the valley last year) and somehow get better? Krikke is destroying defenders at IOWA right now.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jsaluki080 » November 23rd, 2023, 8:48 am

I don't want to jump on the hype train yet but, Is MVC pretty good this year? Bradley, MSU, ISUb getting some nice wins. Evansville doing better than expected. No major victory yet, though, ... right? Come on MVC keep getting those Ws!! I would love to jump on the hype train.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Chuck A » November 25th, 2023, 1:16 pm

jsaluki080 wrote:I don't want to jump on the hype train yet but, Is MVC pretty good this year? Bradley, MSU, ISUb getting some nice wins. Evansville doing better than expected. No major victory yet, though, ... right? Come on MVC keep getting those Ws!! I would love to jump on the hype train.

Come on, quit your waiting and jump on! The Valley is halfway through the non-con (about 5 games). That's a pretty decent barometer. The league has some good wins, some tough losses and has shown improvement throughout. So far, UIC & Evansville are doing their part to remove the stigma of Conference anchor from their names.

Right now, I think the excitement is clearly warranted!
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball