Trip to Terra Haute

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Trip to Terra Haute

Postby tribecalledquest » January 28th, 2024, 11:56 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Those people are still paying ancillary revenues by attending.

I understand. I am semi joking. But we can also be intellectually honest as well.

Call it a full house. Call it full capacity. But it's not a "sell out" either. They did a LOT of work and had a lot of giveaways to help yesterday. Good for them. That's what marketing is for. But they also didn't sell 8,000+ tickets either.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bluestreak » January 28th, 2024, 2:15 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Those people are still paying ancillary revenues by attending.

I understand. I am semi joking. But we can also be intellectually honest as well.

Call it a full house. Call it full capacity. But it's not a "sell out" either. They did a LOT of work and had a lot of giveaways to help yesterday. Good for them. That's what marketing is for. But they also didn't sell 8,000+ tickets either.

Boosters and local businesses purchased the tickets. Call it what you will, The Haute has been hungry for good basketball for a long time, and the school is betting that once fans see this team play they'll be back. Some people seem pretty anxious to find a reason to denigrate the efforts. When is the last time another school had 8,300 in attendance. I call that smart marketing and no amount of smarmy remarks can take away from that game atmosphere.
bluestreak
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BUFanatic » January 28th, 2024, 4:55 pm

bluestreak wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Boosters and local businesses purchased the tickets. Call it what you will, The Haute has been hungry for good basketball for a long time, and the school is betting that once fans see this team play they'll be back. Some people seem pretty anxious to find a reason to denigrate the efforts. When is the last time another school had 8,300 in attendance. I call that smart marketing and no amount of smarmy remarks can take away from that game atmosphere.

Statement of fact…
Bradley-Drake 10,500 paid and in the building.
Bradley-Loyola 8,500 paid and possibly in building.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » January 28th, 2024, 6:12 pm

bluestreak wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I understand why it was done. It created a great atmosphere for a game that lived up to the billing. Hopefully the 3K or so that got tickets for free will find it worth it to purchase them next time. That’s the bet INST took.

I get it. It’s smart. But that doesn’t make it more than it was either.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Billyb60046 » January 29th, 2024, 8:45 am

isumvc1 wrote:You're going to have a great time next Saturday! Expect even more people to show up at a sold out Hulman center, the place will be rocking!

We are really excited about the trip. I am glad that Indiana St is playing such awesome basketball. Drake has definitely had some slip ups and shown some weaknesses as of late, but I am extremely excited to see how this game unfolds. Also I am hearing nothing but positives from Indy State people, so I think it will be a great away game trip. We will have our blue sequin blazers on so I am sure we will be easy to spot in the sea of black!

Also, just a quick shoutout, I reached out to the Drake Athletic Dept. a few weeks ago. Told them we were coming in for the game, etc etc and they are getting us seats in the Drake family and supporter section! So, major shoutout to Brian Hardin and his team. One of the many benefits of being an MVC fan!

Looking forward to a great weekend -
Billyb60046
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby GoSIU88 » January 29th, 2024, 9:29 am

Downtown Terre Haute has vastly improved over the past decade. Plenty of good watering holes and restaurants near campus. If you want a good piece of pie, try the Grand Traverse Pie Company on the west side of campus across the highway from the big courthouse. You won't be disappointed.

Hulman Center seems cavernous to me when it's empty. The crowd last Saturday vs Bradley was pretty impressive. Expect a huge, loud crowd. Safe travels.

p.s Make sure you get a good pic of the Bird statue outide the main entrance.
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TylerDurden » January 29th, 2024, 9:49 am

Indiana State is as fun of a team to watch as there is in college basketball. Enjoy it.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » January 29th, 2024, 11:38 am

TylerDurden wrote:Indiana State is as fun of a team to watch as there is in college basketball. Enjoy it.

100%.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » January 29th, 2024, 3:02 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:Indiana State is as fun of a team to watch as there is in college basketball. Enjoy it.

100%.

I told multiple friends of mine that missed the game to go back and watch the 2nd half of the Bradley Indiana State as it was just high level basketball, both teams just going back and forth. I mean how many times is the largest leads in a game only 5 points on 1 side and 7 points on the other in regulation? I wonder what the lowest spread that ever has been in a game.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Birdfan2018 » January 29th, 2024, 5:31 pm

GoSIU88 wrote:Downtown Terre Haute has vastly improved over the past decade. Plenty of good watering holes and restaurants near campus. If you want a good piece of pie, try the Grand Traverse Pie Company on the west side of campus across the highway from the big courthouse. You won't be disappointed.

Hulman Center seems cavernous to me when it's empty. The crowd last Saturday vs Bradley was pretty impressive. Expect a huge, loud crowd. Safe travels.

p.s Make sure you get a good pic of the Bird statue outide the main entrance.

Been probably 20 years since I attended an Illinois State @ Indiana State basketball game. Stayed at Larry Bird’s hotel. Got some nice stuff from the souvenir shop.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball