Trip to Terra Haute

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Trip to Terra Haute

Postby Billyb60046 » November 30th, 2023, 11:10 am

One of my best friends and I are both Drake grads (2007 for him, 2011 for me). We now live in Pittsburgh and decided to hit the road for a Drake game this year. Closest one to us out here that was on a weekend was in Terra Haute February 3rd. Never been so figured we'd take the 6 hour road trip. Already booked our hotel, but looking for recommendations from some of the Sycamores in the group for bars/restaurants/post game/etc. Much appreciated!
Billyb60046
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Trip to Terra Haute

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Trip to Terra Haute

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » November 30th, 2023, 12:02 pm

In my experience, the fans/workers in Hulman Center have always been among the nicest in the MVC to visitors.

Parking -- there's a parking garage next to Hulman Center that could not be a shorter walk.

Bars/Restaurants -- Copper Bar and the Ballyhoo were good. As a salmon addict, I just stick to the chain Outback whenever heading to Terre Haute.

On a related note, I tried Tap 216 on Murray State's campus and that place instantly became one of my all-time favorites.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » November 30th, 2023, 8:14 pm

No fans, no atmosphere, best place to eat is a place called 7th and elm. Hotel near the arena was clean, ugly arena
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » November 30th, 2023, 8:52 pm

here is a link to a post on our message board discussing the best of Bar food in Terre Haute, it will give you a few suggestions

https://sycamorepride.com/threads/best- ... ost-355844
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SycamoreBLUE02 » December 1st, 2023, 5:53 am

jackwagon wrote:No fans, no atmosphere, best place to eat is a place called 7th and elm. Hotel near the arena was clean, ugly arena

I can tell its been a little while since you've been to Terre Haute. Hulman Center is the best looking facility in the MVC and now that we have a fun and exciting brand of basketball the atmosphere inside is much better. 7th and Elm is now called the TreeHouse as it was sold a few years ago. Haven't been since it changed.

Billyb60046 wrote:One of my best friends and I are both Drake grads (2007 for him, 2011 for me). We now live in Pittsburgh and decided to hit the road for a Drake game this year. Closest one to us out here that was on a weekend was in Terra Haute February 3rd. Never been so figured we'd take the 6 hour road trip. Already booked our hotel, but looking for recommendations from some of the Sycamores in the group for bars/restaurants/post game/etc. Much appreciated!

The best places to eat within walking distance to Hulman Center are The Terminal, Copper Bar, (J-Gumbo's, Scout's Pizzeria, The Patty Shack, Chava's).....all these last 4 sit right next to eachother on Wabash Ave just west of 7th st. Those are you close options to Hulman Center. I suggest checking out the link provided a couple post above to the discussion on our fan forum about other options further from the arena. Hope you have a good safe trip. You'll enjoy Terredise!
SycamoreBLUE02
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby E-Villan » December 1st, 2023, 9:38 am

As an out of towner who goes to Terre Haute quite a bit, two of my favorites are Moggers and Sonka Irish Pub. Sonka has a fantastic beer selection and Moggers has good food in a nice setting. There's a locals bar, Charlies Sports Pub I believe that has great food and prices.

For hotels, hopefully you are at the Hilton Garden or Candlewood Suites. Both are downtown and within a block or two of Hulman. Can't go wrong with either one. For whatever reason, the hotels at the 41-70 interchange are prone to vehicle break-ins.

Terre Haute gets a lot of crap but they have drastically improved the downtown area in the last 10 or so years. I will also add, IMO, Pittsburgh may be the most under-rated city in the country.

Have a good trip.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Billyb60046 » December 1st, 2023, 1:33 pm

This is awesome, everyone - thank you!
We are only doing one night in Terra Haute; we decided to stop in Indianapolis Friday night - got a hotel right across from the Gainbridge Fieldhouse so going to see the Pacers play Friday, then drive the rest of the way Saturday morning. Never been to a Pacers game but excited to check out downtown Indy.
We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, so probably do Terminal and Copper Bar before the game, then maybe do Moggers for dinner and find a dive bar to close out the night. Will depend on how poorly or how well the bulldogs decide to play!
Looking forward to the trip.
Billyb60046
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby isumvc1 » January 28th, 2024, 10:04 am

You're going to have a great time next Saturday! Expect even more people to show up at a sold out Hulman center, the place will be rocking!
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 28th, 2024, 11:51 am

isumvc1 wrote:You're going to have a great time next Saturday! Expect even more people to show up at a sold out Hulman center, the place will be rocking!

Sold out or full capacity?

Is it a sell out when 1/3 of the tickets are given away free?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 28th, 2024, 11:54 am

Those people are still paying ancillary revenues by attending.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball