Trip to Terra Haute

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Trip to Terra Haute

Postby isumvc1 » January 29th, 2024, 6:05 pm

as others have posted, Wabash Avenue, just south of Hulman Center, has many updated places to eat and drink, many choices there

Also, the mayor of Terre Haute has announced there will be a big tailgate before the Drake game Saturday, no details have been announced yet, but should be soon. I am guessing it will be along the restaurants along Wabash Avenue as well, I'll post more when details are released

Regardless it's going to be a huge day in Terre Haute with the game starting at 6pm (EST) and being nationally broadcast on ESPN2, you can't buy the amount of attention ISU is receiving this year

now if only our administration would take advantage :roll:
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby isumvc1 » January 29th, 2024, 6:30 pm

well, details were released

Rally the Valley tailgate before the 6pm ISU-Drake game begins at 3pm at the Terminal Bar parking lot at 9th and Wabash, just south of the Hulman Center

Beer garden and family friendly activities will be there

So come on out all ISU and Drake fans! It might be bigger than our football tailgaits!
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 30th, 2024, 8:27 am

Majik45 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:Indiana State is as fun of a team to watch as there is in college basketball. Enjoy it.

100%.

I told multiple friends of mine that missed the game to go back and watch the 2nd half of the Bradley Indiana State as it was just high level basketball, both teams just going back and forth. I mean how many times is the largest leads in a game only 5 points on 1 side and 7 points on the other in regulation? I wonder what the lowest spread that ever has been in a game.

Kenpom actually tracks this. He calls it "Window."

The smallest "Window" in a game this year 8 was Auburn @ Mississippi St. Auburn's largest lead was 2 and Mississippi State's was 6. Belmont-Morehead State had a window of 6 back in 2015 (lowest I could find).
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Billyb60046 » January 31st, 2024, 8:56 am

isumvc1 wrote:well, details were released

Rally the Valley tailgate before the 6pm ISU-Drake game begins at 3pm at the Terminal Bar parking lot at 9th and Wabash, just south of the Hulman Center

Beer garden and family friendly activities will be there

So come on out all ISU and Drake fans! It might be bigger than our football tailgaits!

That sounds awesome! We will definitely check that out!
Billyb60046
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Billyb60046 » February 5th, 2024, 10:02 am

Billyb60046 wrote:One of my best friends and I are both Drake grads (2007 for him, 2011 for me). We now live in Pittsburgh and decided to hit the road for a Drake game this year. Closest one to us out here that was on a weekend was in Terra Haute February 3rd. Never been so figured we'd take the 6 hour road trip. Already booked our hotel, but looking for recommendations from some of the Sycamores in the group for bars/restaurants/post game/etc. Much appreciated!

So, although I am still recovering today from the weekend in Terra Haute, I wanted to just drop a quick recap of the trip, in case anyone else would consider a Valley away day in TH.

We got into town around 11 am (spent the first night in Indianapolis and watched the Pacers get pounded by Sacramento). We were the second and third people into Show Me's on Saturday morning for lunch and beers. Bartender was super kind and got the rugby six nations game on for us. We hung out there for a few hours and chatted with people at the bar. Really good vibes and it filled up quite a bit while we were there (Hoosiers were on as well).

Checked out the record store Headstone Friends (buddy I went with is a big vinyl guy and this place was recommended). Cool shop and nice to do something that wasn't centered around sports and drinking (needed at least a 30 minute break!), but not really my thing. But if you are into that stuff, definitely worth checking out. Checked into the Garden Inn (highly recommend - clean, wonderful location). Ran into a couple Drake players and staffers when we got there.

Went over and checked out the Indiana State tailgate party. What a great idea and great vibe. Only two lines for beer slowed some things down, but it was an awesome event. Got to talk to a lot of people and everyone was very friendly. Got interviewed for the news but the music was so loud I doubt they could use anything I said in that tent. Also chatted with the mayor for a bit. Bounced over to the Copper Bar for a drink and same thing - everyone was awesome to us.

Stadium was incredible. So loud. Great atmosphere for a college basketball game. After a few initial playful exchanges with the student section before the game, we settled in for the basketball and as I have said and will continue to say, people around us were really good. There was some playful jeering, especially around some foul calls, but all in all, Drake made a great game of it and I found Indiana State to be as impressive live as they appear on TV.

After the game we stumbled across the parking lot and some fans steered us into Bally Hoo, and let me tell you, after about 15 Miller Lites and having no voice left, it's a wonder we were able to make it back to the hotel. Got to talk to some great alumni and people who couldn't believe we made the trip from Pittsburgh to see the game, but everyone was just awesome. People buying each other drinks. At one point, after a conversation with a current junior, I bought him a beer and when I handed it to him, a college student yelled "F*CK DRAKE" and then about five kids turned around and started screaming at him "NO! These guys are cool and we don't act that way!" And that's when I knew we made it. lol As I made my way back to the hotel, I walked right past the Larry Bird statue and it was like a religious experience, like he was pointing me home in that moment lol

All in all, I can't say enough awesome things about the weekend. Of course I wanted Drake to win, but the overall experience was top notch, and something we will definitely be doing again. Indiana State fans were awesome the whole weekend, and deserve a ton of credit. I only hope you get the same hospitality from other fans as well. The blue sequin blazers will be back again at some point, I promise that.

Go Drake -
bilyb60046
Billyb60046
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball