New NCAA Subdivision Proposal

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby unipanther99 » December 5th, 2023, 11:25 am

https://theathletic.com/5114092/2023/12 ... lie-baker/

Still a lot of unknowns here, and big time football is driving this, but it seems problematic for the MVC.

1. The well funded schools/conferences that do this would be at a significant advantage over mid-majors who do not do this. It's already a widening gap, but how do we compete? How do we keep our talent from being immediately poached? Maybe that ship has already sailed and we're just living through it.

2. What if one or more of the MVC schools who don't sponsor scholarship football decide they can afford to do this, and implement it. Those with scholarship football in the MVC would never be able to afford to do this. How does the conference deal with the disparity, or does it collapse? Do some schools move to non-scholarship FCS?

This seems more about the NCAA trying to stay relevant in a process that is already occurring than anything that has been thought out and beneficial to all member schools.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New NCAA Subdivision Proposal

Postby Drakey » December 5th, 2023, 11:30 am

Does it say WHO has to be paid? Presumably just full ride athletes, or everybody who is on any team?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » December 5th, 2023, 11:37 am

To me, this feels like the tipping point where UNI, Illinois State and Missouri State start seriously looking at the proposed 'Snow Belt League' to make sure there's a seat at the table and I absolutely hate it.

Football drives the bus and I hate it.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 5th, 2023, 11:42 am

Drakey wrote:Does it say WHO has to be paid? Presumably just full ride athletes, or everybody who is on any team?

If I was reading correctly, schools who opt in would have to pay at least half of their student athletes $30K/year, on an equal gender basis.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » December 5th, 2023, 12:21 pm

unipanther99 wrote:This seems more about the NCAA trying to stay relevant in a process that is already occurring than anything that has been thought out and beneficial to all member schools.

100% This.

The NCAA is in an awful position. They have power over 95% of NCAA D1, D2, D3 schools. But the 5% they DON'T have control over has and controls all the money.

If they aren't catering to that 5% - they will be cut off at the knees.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GR4 » December 5th, 2023, 7:29 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
Drakey wrote:Does it say WHO has to be paid? Presumably just full ride athletes, or everybody who is on any team?

If I was reading correctly, schools who opt in would have to pay at least half of their student athletes $30K/year, on an equal gender basis.

Baker said he wants the association to create a new tier of NCAA Division I sports where schools would be required to offer at least half their athletes a payment of at least $30,000 per year through a trust fund.

Half of their scholarship athletes in all sports? :huh:
GR4
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby IllinoisState » December 5th, 2023, 10:52 pm

BCPanther wrote:To me, this feels like the tipping point where UNI, Illinois State and Missouri State start seriously looking at the proposed 'Snow Belt League' to make sure there's a seat at the table and I absolutely hate it.

Football drives the bus and I hate it.

If that's the case then maybe we would have the Dakotas join us.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » December 6th, 2023, 1:16 pm

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of this. It's the biggest news in college sports ever. What's going to happen to the MVC?
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » December 6th, 2023, 1:57 pm

racernation wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more talk of this. It's the biggest news in college sports ever. What's going to happen to the MVC?

Belmont, Bradley, Drake (drops football) and UIC are going to opt in and find other non-football schools to partner with and keep the Valley name. Football schools are going to opt out and the big split happens. Evansville is on the fence. Valpo either has to drop football and opt in or they opt out.

SIU, Murray and Indiana State head to what will be a remade OVC and Missouri State, Illinois State and UNI will head to a newly formed 'Snow Belt League' with the 4 Dakotas, 2 Montanas, Idaho, Weber State and Sacramento State.

It's doomsday right after we were finally stable and it sucks for everybody.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » December 6th, 2023, 3:10 pm

BCPanther wrote:
racernation wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more talk of this. It's the biggest news in college sports ever. What's going to happen to the MVC?

Belmont, Bradley, Drake (drops football) and UIC are going to opt in and find other non-football schools to partner with and keep the Valley name. Football schools are going to opt out and the big split happens. Evansville is on the fence. Valpo either has to drop football and opt in or they opt out.

SIU, Murray and Indiana State head to what will be a remade OVC and Missouri State, Illinois State and UNI will head to a newly formed 'Snow Belt League' with the 4 Dakotas, 2 Montanas, Idaho, Weber State and Sacramento State.

It's doomsday right after we were finally stable and it sucks for everybody.

Could this be done for just football or do you think it has to be an "all or nothing" type of deal?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball