Does Belmont Actually Exist?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Does Belmont Actually Exist?

Postby E-Villan » January 23rd, 2024, 12:08 pm

I am certain the Nashville media has no idea if they exist. In regards to college athletics, the Nashville media cares about UT, Vandy, other SEC programs, repeat. It doesn't help that there are 8 D-1 programs within an hour of Nashville either.

Not only do they get ignored by the local media, it appears they only have a streaming option for their games. I have no idea how you can develop fans if you are completely out of sight.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » January 23rd, 2024, 7:41 pm

squirrel wrote:For starters they probably have pretty good jobs and social lives.

Presuming Belmont is real, this could make some sense. The Boot City Opry in Terre Haute isn't quite the same as the original in Nashville.

E-Villan wrote:Not only do they get ignored by the local media, it appears they only have a streaming option for their games.

Seems like a catch 22. No one will want to broadcast your games if there isn't a proven fanbase to monetize.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby freddycat68 » January 23rd, 2024, 9:19 pm

I'd love to see what Belmont fans or coaches or media types think about the loss to ISUr this evening, but alas ...
freddycat68
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bradley_townie » January 25th, 2024, 8:40 am

The fact that this post has been up almost 4 days and no Belmont fans have chimed in says all we need to know.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ValleyFAN » January 25th, 2024, 9:27 am

E-Villan wrote:I am certain the Nashville media has no idea if they exist. In regards to college athletics, the Nashville media cares about UT, Vandy, other SEC programs, repeat. It doesn't help that there are 8 D-1 programs within an hour of Nashville either.

Not only do they get ignored by the local media, it appears they only have a streaming option for their games. I have no idea how you can develop fans if you are completely out of sight.

What do you mean by this exactly? Missouri State's home games are only on ESPN+ now with no local tv option any longer. I didn't think this was uncommon across the league but of course I could be wrong. If you mean something else entirely then I apologize.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby E-Villan » January 25th, 2024, 10:53 am

ValleyFAN wrote:
E-Villan wrote:I am certain the Nashville media has no idea if they exist. In regards to college athletics, the Nashville media cares about UT, Vandy, other SEC programs, repeat. It doesn't help that there are 8 D-1 programs within an hour of Nashville either.

What do you mean by this exactly? Missouri State's home games are only on ESPN+ now with no local tv option any longer. I didn't think this was uncommon across the league but of course I could be wrong. If you mean something else entirely then I apologize.

Should have clarified radio. I assume everyone else still has OTA radio for their games.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby hot nuts » January 25th, 2024, 11:02 am

This is a real mystery...like when there were no Rambler fans at Ballpark Village during Arch Madness. I don't recall if there were many Bruin fans in St. Louis last year...I know they lost their first game so maybe not.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ValleyFAN » January 25th, 2024, 11:10 am

E-Villan wrote:
ValleyFAN wrote:

Should have clarified radio. I assume everyone else still has OTA radio for their games.

Gotcha. Missouri State is on a different station now after the radio station ownership changed, and the signal strength isn't nearly as good as it used to be. But ya, if you're in the Ozarks you can likely find an affiliate station to pull up the games. Plus stream it through the varsity app. And excellent newspaper coverage.

I guess from the Missouri State perspective its frustrating that the team doesnt draw better because we do have the infrastructure built into the community with radio, newspaper, television coverage each night on the local etc. The community for whatever reason doesn't want to come to the games right now. I am hopeful that with the rights things in place that can change at some point.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bradley_townie » January 25th, 2024, 11:15 am

hot nuts wrote:This is a real mystery...like when there were no Rambler fans at Ballpark Village during Arch Madness. I don't recall if there were many Bruin fans in St. Louis last year...I know they lost their first game so maybe not.

I saw at least 1 Belmont shirt walking around the concourse. UIC, Valpo, and Belmont probably combined for about 20 fans total.

When I went to the Belmont/Bradley game in Nashville last year, I struck up a conversation with a Belmont fan. The guy looked perplexed when I told him that he should check out the conference tournament in St. Louis. Like the concept of traveling to watch Belmont basketball was not something he had ever considered.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Birdfan2018 » January 25th, 2024, 11:27 am

hot nuts wrote:This is a real mystery...like when there were no Rambler fans at Ballpark Village during Arch Madness. I don't recall if there were many Bruin fans in St. Louis last year...I know they lost their first game so maybe not.

Actually there were two at BallPark Village. And Todd Thomas gave them a bunch of crap. But after Loyola beating Illinois State for the Championship, those two Loyola fans got the last laugh.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball