MVC Games Week 12 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 12 2023-24

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 28th, 2024, 10:09 am

siudawgs wrote:I’m curious to see how Sycamore fan turnout looks in St. Louis this year with as much as Terre Haute loves that team.

I’ve always stayed at the Westin, which has rotated teams through the years, but has been Indiana State’s the past few.

When I went to book a couple weeks ago, not only was the MVC Fan Block discount soldout, the hotel was soldout for Saturday night. That’s never happened in all the years I’ve booked there…and I’ve booked late February in some years.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 28th, 2024, 10:15 am

siudawgs wrote:I would say Murray’s 20-point collapse against SIU was even worse than SIU’s 23-point collapse against Bradley because at least Bradley was pretty much hitting everything in sight in their comeback, which wasn’t totally the case for the Salukis, who had several dry possessions at key times in the last 5 or so minutes. Wild for Southern to be on both sides of those meltdowns in like a 10-day span.

Scottie Ebube was a classic case of the box score not telling the story yesterday (though he had eight rebounds and a few blocks and steals). His extra effort and energy was the catalyst for the comeback. That win at least keeps Southern in the mix for a top-4 spot for a while longer but they’re going to need to play better ball for longer spurts to stay there.

Murray had 3 points in the final 14 minutes. That’s 9 points pro-rated.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BUFanatic » January 28th, 2024, 11:35 pm

Non-MVC news but hilarious. Flipped on ESPNU for a re-run of SMU-Wichita. Idk the result yet but Wichita’s record is 8-11 (0-6). Koch Arena mostly empty.
PSA to the new guys (UIC, Murray, Belmont, and yes, even you Valpo!) this is something you now find gut busting hilarious and extremely satisfying.

Since we’re here the Team Formerly Known as The Fightin’ Moser’s Jackets is a respectable 13-7 (5-2) (4th in A-10), but worse overall record than MVC 1-3 +SIU.

Creighton is far and away the most accomplished defection at 16-5 (7-3) good for 2nd in Big East and Rank 17 nationally. Losses are UConn (1), UNLV (whut?), Nova (OT), Marquette (10), & Colorado St (whut?). Oh, and they beat LUCy 88-65 early on.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TylerDurden » January 29th, 2024, 7:03 am

BUFanatic wrote:Non-MVC news but hilarious. Flipped on ESPNU for a re-run of SMU-Wichita. Idk the result yet but Wichita’s record is 8-11 (0-6). Koch Arena mostly empty.
PSA to the new guys (UIC, Murray, Belmont, and yes, even you Valpo!) this is something you now find gut busting hilarious and extremely satisfying.

Since we’re here the Team Formerly Known as The Fightin’ Moser’s Jackets is a respectable 13-7 (5-2) (4th in A-10), but worse overall record than MVC 1-3 +SIU.

Creighton is far and away the most accomplished defection at 16-5 (7-3) good for 2nd in Big East and Rank 17 nationally. Losses are UConn (1), UNLV (whut?), Nova (OT), Marquette (10), & Colorado St (whut?). Oh, and they beat LUCy 88-65 early on.

Colorado State is good. They have wins over Creighton, Colorado, Washington, Boston College and was ranked No. 24 in the 1/22 AP Poll. They've been as high as 13th this year. They lost two last week, so they'll fall out, but that's not a "Whut?" loss.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » January 29th, 2024, 3:58 pm

I watched most of the Indy State and BU game on Saturday. Man, what a fun game. I hope the Birds can be a part of something like that again sometime soon. One thing was abundantly clear, the Birds aren't even in the same weight class as those teams. Feels like the top three or four are in a league of their own at this point.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 29th, 2024, 4:53 pm

Two outstanding games that really showed how good the top of this league is. Just unfortunate that they both were played at the same time.

Looking forward to UNI-Bradley I on Wednesday and Drake-Indiana State II on Saturday.

A real renaissance year for the league that I hope we can continue to build on!
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BUFanatic » January 29th, 2024, 11:08 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
BUFanatic wrote:Non-MVC news but hilarious. Flipped on ESPNU for a re-run of SMU-Wichita. Idk the result yet but Wichita’s record is 8-11 (0-6). Koch Arena mostly empty.

Colorado State is good. They have wins over Creighton, Colorado, Washington, Boston College and was ranked No. 24 in the 1/22 AP Poll. They've been as high as 13th this year. They lost two last week, so they'll fall out, but that's not a "Whut?" loss.

Ah! Thanks for the info, had no idea.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball