FOY/All-Freshmen Team

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: FOY/All-Freshmen Team

Postby Birdfan2018 » January 25th, 2024, 7:26 pm

ColonialBulldog wrote:
Birdfan2018 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Overton is averaging 12.3 ppg as the #3 option on a good team. Not sure any freshman in the league is averaging more.

Schwieger:
12.44 PPG
7.11 RPG (Tied for 4th)
.857 FT% (Tied for 4th)
.531 FG% (7th)
1.0 BPG (9th)

Overton is not listed in any of the categories.

Where are you getting those numbers? Those are pretty off from what I'm seeing.

MVC-Sports.com
Statistics
Pages 37/38
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby usmcsaluki » January 26th, 2024, 11:09 am

DUBulldog wrote:Overton is averaging 12.3 ppg as the #3 option on a good team. Not sure any freshman in the league is averaging more.

Yeah, I don't agree with previous comments that Cooper is a "lock" for FOY; IMO I think Overton is the frontrunner, but Cooper is certainly close. Both are locks on the fresh team if they keep it up.
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » January 26th, 2024, 12:14 pm

Reminder (well, maybe more of my own pet peeve) - let's stick with MVC Only games when using statistics for any all-league awards. I may have missed someone but here are the current MVC Freshman scoring leaders.

Schweiger - 12.4
Bailey - 10.6
Overton - 10.1
Hughes - 6.9
Williamson - 6.4
Burch - 6.0
Kramer - 6.0
Pock - 4.8
Kizinger - 4.6
Rogers - 3.2
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 26th, 2024, 12:24 pm

usmcsaluki wrote:

Yeah, I don't agree with previous comments that Cooper is a "lock" for FOY; IMO I think Overton is the frontrunner, but Cooper is certainly close. Both are locks on the fresh team if they keep it up.

Cooper is definitely far from a lock, but he's absolutely the frontrunner. Cooper has been emerging while Overton's game has stagnated a little bit. His numbers are boosted a little bit from big non-con games. Overton is benefitting from playing on a good time and having people know his name, while people probably haven't seen Cooper Schweiger as much, but they definitely should. He's every bit playing like the best freshman in the conference right now.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheDrake » January 26th, 2024, 1:25 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
usmcsaluki wrote:

Cooper is definitely far from a lock, but he's absolutely the frontrunner. Cooper has been emerging while Overton's game has stagnated a little bit. His numbers are boosted a little bit from big non-con games. Overton is benefitting from playing on a good time and having people know his name, while people probably haven't seen Cooper Schweiger as much, but they definitely should. He's every bit playing like the best freshman in the conference right now.

I would argue that Overton's numbers are lower than they would be if he played on a bad team like Valpo. At Drake he's generally the fourth scoring option on the court whereas Schweiger is a feature of the Valpo offense.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bulldog4life24 » January 26th, 2024, 2:10 pm

I think if you look at the award as “most impactful on their team” it’s definitely Schwieger.

As a Drake fan I love KO and think he deserves accolades, but I don’t think you can make the argument that Drake falls off as much without him (though we would definitely fall; he’s important!) as Valpo would without Cooper.
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Drakey » January 26th, 2024, 4:16 pm

Why would you exclude a dozen games when determining freshman of the year? Also, if you had a D3 team play in the Valley, somebody would average 15 ppg. Somebody has to score on terrible teams.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 26th, 2024, 4:38 pm

TheDrake wrote:I would argue that Overton's numbers are lower than they would be if he played on a bad team like Valpo. At Drake he's generally the fourth scoring option on the court whereas Schweiger is a feature of the Valpo offense.

You could make that argument except for 2 things; Overton has taken more shots than Schweiger and he's taken a slightly higher % of total shots by Drake than Schweiger has taken of total % of Valpo shots. Overton has taken the third most shots for Drake and then the drop off is fairly large, while Schweiger has taken the second most for Valpo, but there are 2 other players with less than 10 shots difference . So Overton is easily as involved and active taking shots as Schweiger , but Schweiger shoots a better % and is a better rebounder.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » January 26th, 2024, 5:01 pm

Drakey wrote:Why would you exclude a dozen games when determining freshman of the year? Also, if you had a D3 team play in the Valley, somebody would average 15 ppg. Somebody has to score on terrible teams.

Because league play is a more equitable barometer for comparing performances.

I don't know who the FOY should be, but if I were a voter, I'd weigh MVC games more than nonconference, generally anyway.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Birdfan2018 » January 26th, 2024, 6:01 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Reminder (well, maybe more of my own pet peeve) - let's stick with MVC Only games when using statistics for any all-league awards. I may have missed someone but here are the current MVC Freshman scoring leaders.

Schweiger - 12.4
Bailey - 10.6
Overton - 10.1
Hughes - 6.9
Williamson - 6.4
Burch - 6.0
Kramer - 6.0
Pock - 4.8
Kizinger - 4.6
Rogers - 3.2

Now do Rebounds.
Birdfan2018