Illinois State completes investigation of Norfolk St game

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 30th, 2024, 11:29 am

Good afternoon,

Today, I am updating the campus community following communication with Norfolk State on the University's investigation into the report of a racial slur directed at a Norfolk State player by an Illinois State fan sitting courtside at our men's basketball game on Saturday, December 9, 2023, at Horton Fieldhouse. That investigation has concluded, and I'd like to share our process and findings.

As I've previously shared, Illinois State has a zero-tolerance policy for acts of racism, including racial slurs and other offensive language targeting people for their background or identity, and fully reviews all claims. History shows us that incidents like this have happened far too often in many public spaces, without accountability or appropriate repercussions. It is important to me and our entire campus community that such behavior is not only called out as unacceptable, but also redressed. As such, this claim was immediately elevated beyond Athletics to Illinois State's Ethics Office for a full investigation.

Over the last month and a half, Illinois State's Ethics Officer and university staff spent hours reviewing all available video and audio recordings. The available footage included full broadcast files from ESPN+ and WJBC Radio/Redbird Sports Properties, as well as raw footage from ESPN+ cameras.

From these video sources, along with the lead official's game report, game operations plan, and seating diagrams, the Ethics Office identified more than 50 individuals in the general vicinity of the alleged incident or associated with game operations, including game officials, media, Norfolk State student-athletes, ISU student-athletes, ISU staff, and spectators.

Of those identified, the investigation received statements from 47 individuals, with only Norfolk State declining to participate. We can appreciate and share common ground with Norfolk State in its desire to move forward and focus on positive and progressive outcomes that will continue to uplift its student-athletes. As final requests for statements and interviews are now complete, the Illinois State University Ethics Office has moved to officially close the investigation.

While the investigation was unable to verify the use of a racial slur, Illinois State remains committed to promoting an open and inclusive campus community where all people feel welcomed, valued, and respected. It is our goal as a university to move forward with a renewed effort to promote and encourage practices on our campus that help us demonstrate that commitment, including those outlined in Illinois State's Event Code of Conduct, the Athletics Code of Sportsmanship, and the Missouri Valley Conference Sportsmanship Standards of Conduct.

Sincerely,

Aondover Tarhule, Ph.D.
Interim President
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Illinois State completes investigation of Norfolk St gam

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 30th, 2024, 11:35 am

The lead official's statement was cited in the report. He did not claim hearing the n-slur himself. The Norfolk St coach's public comment that the official did hear it appears to have been either a misunderstanding or not truthful. However, the Norfolk St coach did not cooperate with the investigation.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TBS_20 » January 30th, 2024, 12:12 pm

I dont necessarily fault the coach. its the player who made up the allegations fault.
TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TylerDurden » January 30th, 2024, 1:04 pm

Sounds like a pretty in-depth investigation in response to the allegations. Kudos to Illinois State for the undertaking.

The published statement is a bit confusing to me - or perhaps I don't understand where this allegedly occurred and who might be nearby. My assumption was that slur was alleged to have been hurled from a fan directly behind Norfolk State's bench. Is that not correct?

From the memo, my commentary follows

From these video sources, along with the lead official's game report, game operations plan, and seating diagrams, the Ethics Office identified more than 50 individuals in the general vicinity of the alleged incident or associated with game operations, including game officials, media, Norfolk State student-athletes, ISU student-athletes, ISU staff, and spectators.

Of those identified, the investigation received statements from 47 individuals, with only Norfolk State declining to participate.

Based on my assumption of location behind Norfolk's bench, I don't think it's possible to interview 47/50 people identified and also say Norfolk State didn't participate.

The bench area for a visiting team includes at least 20 people when you include players, coaches, trainers, SIDs, etc.

So what am I missing? I'm guessing I just have no idea where this was alleged to have occurred.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 30th, 2024, 2:51 pm

TylerDurden wrote:So what am I missing? I'm guessing I just have no idea where this was alleged to have occurred.

I think it was across from the Norfolk bench. There was a foul (or something) in that area resulting in a dead ball right before everything got heated. The fan who was getting partially doxxed was sitting in that area as well so I assumed that was where the alleged incident occured.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » January 31st, 2024, 11:45 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:So what am I missing? I'm guessing I just have no idea where this was alleged to have occurred.

I think it was across from the Norfolk bench. There was a foul (or something) in that area resulting in a dead ball right before everything got heated. The fan who was getting partially doxxed was sitting in that area as well so I assumed that was where the alleged incident occured.

You are correct the incident happened across from NFS bench. The whole situation is honestly bizarre. Thomas, the player who alleged he heard a slur, was interacting with the fans throughout the game. He was a very demonstrative and emotional player throughout. The way he behaved prior to the event tells me had he heard something, he would not have calmly walked away. Illinois State's Jordan Davis was standing right next to him when the alleged slur was said and there was no reaction from him either. everyone calmly walked over for Davis to shoot FTs then NFS Jones was on the court talking with the officials.

Pedon let it go for a few minutes and no official came on to let him know what was going on so he started yelling, asking for a T of Jones or explanation. Jones took exception to it and they met in a chest bumping shouting match at half court. Most of NFS bench left the bench to join the scuffle, Birds stayed back. No ejections, though the rule says there should be. National media picks it up as if there was factual evidence that a slur was said.

This statement comes out and local media from both areas cover it. Jones' response is that he doesn't care and alleges the investigation didn't reach out to him until 6 weeks after when Pedon reached out to Jones the Sunday morning after the game and Jones publicly said he declined the call. Couple all of that with the report Jones deleted Tweets he put out following the event. He was very loud for the couple weeks after. It'll be interesting if this comes up if he is ever in line to interview for a P5 job.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TBS_20 » January 31st, 2024, 8:12 pm

If someone hurled a slur one of the 47 in the vicinity would have heard it. He didn't whisper it in the players ear.
TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball