MVC Games Week 14 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 14 2023-24

Postby BCPanther » February 8th, 2024, 8:56 am

If I were Bradley, I'd be more worried about UNI or SIU catching me for 3rd than I would about catching Drake.

Really tough schedule left for Bradley. Drake x2, at UNI, at MoSt, SIU.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » February 8th, 2024, 9:25 am

BCPanther wrote:If I were Bradley, I'd be more worried about UNI or SIU catching me for 3rd than I would about catching Drake.

Bradley will hold tie breakers over both UNI and SIU. 13-7 will guarantee them the 3 seed. They basically have a three game lead over both teams at the moment.

SIU and UNI play each other. So one of the two will have seven losses right there before you factor in any other games.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » February 8th, 2024, 10:16 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:If I were Bradley, I'd be more worried about UNI or SIU catching me for 3rd than I would about catching Drake.

Bradley will hold tie breakers over both UNI and SIU. 13-7 will guarantee them the 3 seed. They basically have a three game lead over both teams at the moment.

SIU and UNI play each other. So one of the two will have seven losses right there before you factor in any other games.

Too early to determine a tiebreaker. Now with that said, all Bradley would need to do to guarantee that is get 1 of 3 wins over Drake (two games) or SIU. They will be favored at home against SIU but wins are far from guaranteed in this league.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 8th, 2024, 10:55 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Too early to determine a tiebreaker. Now with that said, all Bradley would need to do to guarantee that is get 1 of 3 wins over Drake (two games) or SIU. They will be favored at home against SIU but wins are far from guaranteed in this league.

I'm assuming a head to head tiebreaker - that would be NET Ranking right? Bradley would have to totally fall on it's face and SIU/UNI go on massive runs for those two to pass Bradley.

Either way - the likelihood of Bradley finishing as the 4 seed is EXTREMELY low. There seems to be some overreaction from last night's game.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » February 8th, 2024, 12:01 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:I'm assuming a head to head tiebreaker - that would be NET Ranking right? Bradley would have to totally fall on it's face and SIU/UNI go on massive runs for those two to pass Bradley.

Either way - the likelihood of Bradley finishing as the 4 seed is EXTREMELY low. There seems to be some overreaction from last night's game.

There does seem to be some overreaction to Bradley absolutely stinking up the joint in Evansville. Bradley is two games clear of both UNI and SIU and the math is pretty challenging for either UNI or SIU to catch BU. But I suppose it did open up a window of opportunity.

First, UNI should send the schedule makers a Valentine's card for the soft landing:

@UIC, @Valpo, Bradley, @Illinois State, Drake, Valpo, @SIU

The Panthers are clear favorites four of those games. BUT, they need to win all of seven in order to have a realistic chance to catch Bradley. Even 7-0 requires Bradley to lose at least three times because a two-way tiebreaker goes H2H, then NET. In the 2/7 rankings, Bradley was 59, UNI was 124.

SIU really doesn't have a chance to catch Bradley, IMO. Their schedule doesn't read like one where they can go 7-0: Illinois State, @Belmont, Indiana State, Murray State, @UE, @Bradley, UNI

If things go wrong, SIU could finish 8-12 and fighting to stay out of the bottom four. I don't think that will happen, but that's probably more likely then them jumping Bradley.

Bradley definitely has a tougher remaining schedule: Drake, UIC, @UNI, @MSU, Illinois State, SIU, @Drake

Can Bradley drop at least three of those? Absolutely. Will they drop at least three and UNI and/or SIU win everything? Unlikely, mostly because they all play each other.

It won't happen because Bradley isn't likely to run the table, but Bradley has a much more obvious path to catch Drake than either UNI or SIU do to catch Bradley.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PretzelDawg » February 8th, 2024, 12:33 pm

Is there a team in the country worse at finishing games than SIU?

1. The Salukis never run an end of game play except for Xavier Johnson to shoot or drive for a layup. Great option, but do you seriously have nothing else in your tool belt?
2. SIU has had two blown games with a 20+ point digit lead at halftime and another game with an 11-point lead with six minutes to play.
3. SIU had a player double dribble in the back court on the winning possession in a game.
4. The Salukis last night could not get the ball inbounds with 1.8 seconds left in OT. They may not have hit the winning shot, but to not even get the ball inbounds in that situation is despicable.

When Johnson leaves after this season, this team is in serious trouble! I really thought Mullins would do a better job than what we are seeing.

There is no way this team is capable of catching Bradley.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » February 8th, 2024, 12:36 pm

municup14 wrote:Will Drake's two guards be out for an extended amount of time,or just one game.

Garland (6th man, best defender) has already been out for a couple of weeks, unsure when he’ll be back. Knee injury, but apparently nothing requiring surgery. Enright had “flu-like symptoms “, so probably day-to-day.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BCPanther » February 8th, 2024, 1:11 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:I'm assuming a head to head tiebreaker - that would be NET Ranking right? Bradley would have to totally fall on it's face and SIU/UNI go on massive runs for those two to pass Bradley.

There does seem to be some overreaction to Bradley absolutely stinking up the joint in Evansville. Bradley is two games clear of both UNI and SIU and the math is pretty challenging for either UNI or SIU to catch BU. But I suppose it did open up a window of opportunity.

First, UNI should send the schedule makers a Valentine's card for the soft landing:

@UIC, @Valpo, Bradley, @Illinois State, Drake, Valpo, @SIU

The Panthers are clear favorites four of those games. BUT, they need to win all of seven in order to have a realistic chance to catch Bradley. Even 7-0 requires Bradley to lose at least three times because a two-way tiebreaker goes H2H, then NET. In the 2/7 rankings, Bradley was 59, UNI was 124.

SIU really doesn't have a chance to catch Bradley, IMO. Their schedule doesn't read like one where they can go 7-0: Illinois State, @Belmont, Indiana State, Murray State, @UE, @Bradley, UNI

If things go wrong, SIU could finish 8-12 and fighting to stay out of the bottom four. I don't think that will happen, but that's probably more likely then them jumping Bradley.

Bradley definitely has a tougher remaining schedule: Drake, UIC, @UNI, @MSU, Illinois State, SIU, @Drake

Can Bradley drop at least three of those? Absolutely. Will they drop at least three and UNI and/or SIU win everything? Unlikely, mostly because they all play each other.

It won't happen because Bradley isn't likely to run the table, but Bradley has a much more obvious path to catch Drake than either UNI or SIU do to catch Bradley.

Looking at it, you're right. That's an awfully tough needle to thread for UNI or SIU.

From the UNI angle, we knew going in that the last stretch was soft and that's why pissing away the game at Evansville and completely no-showing the home games with Belmont and Murray hurts even more. If we do what we're supposed to do, we're 10-3 and headed for the 2 seed. Also lost to Indiana State by 11 but only made one 3.

Would've, could've but the results don't change...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » February 8th, 2024, 1:40 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I'm assuming a head to head tiebreaker - that would be NET Ranking right? Bradley would have to totally fall on it's face and SIU/UNI go on massive runs for those two to pass Bradley.

Tiebreaker is in this order:
1. Head to head (if SIU beats Bradley next time, both are 1-1).
2. Record against top common opponent in order. (First is record against Indiana State. If we’re both 0-2, you move to record against Drake, and so on).
3. NET

Basically, Bradley has a great chance of having the tiebreaker because 1 win against Drake or another against SIU would solidify it. But if that doesn’t happen, it would simply be the better record against the random team that finishes 5th (or further). NET is almost never used because of this.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » February 8th, 2024, 3:48 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:Tiebreaker is in this order:
1. Head to head (if SIU beats Bradley next time, both are 1-1).
2. Record against top common opponent in order. (First is record against Indiana State. If we’re both 0-2, you move to record against Drake, and so on).
3. NET

Basically, Bradley has a great chance of having the tiebreaker because 1 win against Drake or another against SIU would solidify it. But if that doesn’t happen, it would simply be the better record against the random team that finishes 5th (or further). NET is almost never used because of this.

That's the old system. They revamped it when the double round robin schedule went away, I believe.

Current one is here: https://mvc-sports.com/documents/2024/1 ... r_2024.pdf

4.2.4 Ties. In the event of a tie for any position within the standings, ties shall be broken utilizing the following factors, in order, until all ties are broken:

a. Head-to-head competition (two-way tie). If the teams split their series, teams will be ranked by NCAA NET on the morning after the final regular-season Conference game. If the teams played only once, the winner of the game will be the higher seed.

b. If three or more teams are tied, regular-season competition among the tied teams shall be pooled into a "mini round-robin." Teams shall be ranked according to their position in such a round robin.

(document describes method for calculating mini round-robin)

If at any point a tie is broken using the multiple-tie tiebreaker procedures and only two teams remain tied, the remaining teams shall revert to the two-way tiebreaker.

...then it describes the three-way (or more) scenarios
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball