MVC Games Week 17 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 17 2023-24

Postby tribecalledquest » February 29th, 2024, 10:39 am

Dawgbit wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
racernation wrote:Racers get blown out by their rival on Senior Night. 20 loss season coming for Murray - the worst year since 1979.

Prohm has one year to right the ship imo.

I was really shocked by that result.

UIC has way too much talent to be as bad as they are. They just s*** the bed so many times down the stretch tonight.

Bradley hammered SIU on Senior Night. Xavier Johnson has no fun when Malevy Leons guards him.

Be advised that the Xavier Johnson on the court now has a gas tank hovering on empty, he has played almost every minute of every game this year.

For sure.

Why hasn't Hensley played more? He looked great last night.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Adunk33 » February 29th, 2024, 11:02 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:How’s player development at Missouri St going? The Bears only had 4 players score a point tonight.

As a long time Redbird fan, I've kept a close eye on Dana's career. One thing is evident, he is an EXCELLENT recruiter. Mo State has some of the top talent in the league. The problem is the same that Muller faced his last 4 or so years. They just get the best players they can, without recruiting to a system or putting puzzle pieces together. Kind of like Underwood at Illinois. Coaches like that have no problem trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. ISU recruited Benson years ago. I really wanted him and last night confirmed it. I'm with the other poster who said can Dana and bring him back to ISU with Benson :twisted:

Fun fact: last night was the third time Dana and the Redbirds have been involved in a buzzer beater. When Dana was a player he hit one from half court on New Year's Eve in 2003, against Creighton, I believe. During the 18-19 szn, Mo State hit one from the Bear to win after a double dribble/travel no call. (I point to that game and the half court buzzer loss to Valpo that year as the moment the program's downward spiral began). And then last night.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PretzelDawg » February 29th, 2024, 2:25 pm

Dawgbit wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
racernation wrote:Racers get blown out by their rival on Senior Night. 20 loss season coming for Murray - the worst year since 1979.

Prohm has one year to right the ship imo.

I was really shocked by that result.

UIC has way too much talent to be as bad as they are. They just s*** the bed so many times down the stretch tonight.

Bradley hammered SIU on Senior Night. Xavier Johnson has no fun when Malevy Leons guards him.

Be advised that the Xavier Johnson on the court now has a gas tank hovering on empty, he has played almost every minute of every game this year.

Getting the 4 seed will get Johnson an extra day of rest which would be good. He will get some good rest days after Sunday.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby siudawgs » February 29th, 2024, 4:48 pm

@tribecalledquest, re: your question on why Hensley doesn't play more:
A few reasons:
1). He wasn't eligible until 7-8 games into the season, so he was a little behind from that standpoint.
2). He's athletic but also very lean/can get bullied on defense. Some teams have really tried to attack him, with some success. Offensively, he has shown flashes but has been inconsistent finishing around the rim (again, probably a strength thing).
3). While he can play both the 4 and 5, Mullins loves leaning on his vets (D'Amico plays a ton at the 4) and he has to split minutes with both Rupert and Ebube at the 5.

All in all, brutal game for the Salukis last night, but Bradley looked great at times. And yes, how much X still has in the tank for next weekend is very much top-of-mind for Saluki fans.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » March 3rd, 2024, 8:26 am

Happy Final Day of The Valley to those who celebrate.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby harley93davidson » March 3rd, 2024, 10:14 am

Great slate of games today.
My first my birds have been playing better, gotta take it to Valpo today. Mo state and belmont should handle business at home. Isub needs to win, obviously. The two great matchups today should be very fun, very excited for siu uni, two quality teams, we will see how that goes. And then obviously drake vs bradley will be an excellent game, nationally televised too. Rooting for drake because two bid valley dreams, but also cuz, yuck, bradley. Should be a fun time, overly excited for st louis
harley93davidson
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby TylerDurden » March 3rd, 2024, 3:15 pm

Updated after UNI's road win at SIU.

Illinois State lost to Valpo, so Murray now controls its seed. Win and No. 7 lose and No. 8. Belmont also controls its own seed. Win and No. 5, lose and No. 6.

Thursday/Friday teams are set, just the tip times and opponents to be determined.

1. Indiana State
2. Drake
3. Bradley
4. UNI
5. SIU/BEL
6. SIU/BEL
7. ISUred/Murray
8. ISUred/Murray
9. is Missouri State
10. is Evansville
11. is UIC
12. is Valpo

Arch Madness Schedule
Thursday, March 7
Game 1: No. 8 (Illinois State or Murray) vs No. 9 Missouri State
Game 2: No. 5 (SIU/BEL) vs No. 12 Valpo
Game 3: No. 7 (Illinois State or Murray) vs No. 10 Evansville
Game 4: No. 6 (SIU/BEL) vs No. 11 UIC

Friday, March 8
Game 5: No. 1 Indiana State vs Game 1 winner
Game 6: No. 4 UNI vs Game 2 winner
Game 7: No. 2 Drake vs Game 3 winner
Game 8: No. 3 Bradley vs Game 4 winner
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » March 3rd, 2024, 3:40 pm

I know it's probably unlikely, but is it possible for Belmont to catch UNI in the rankings after all of tonight's games are played? They are only 5 spots behind UNI in the NET right now. I don't follow the NET close enough on a day to day basis to know if you can pick up 5 spots in a day this late in the season when both teams win.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » March 3rd, 2024, 3:50 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I know it's probably unlikely, but is it possible for Belmont to catch UNI in the rankings after all of tonight's games are played? They are only 5 spots behind UNI in the NET right now. I don't follow the NET close enough on a day to day basis to know if you can pick up 5 spots in a day this late in the season when both teams win.

They'd have to beat Evansville by 50 to make up the difference with how UNI played today and that still might not be enough.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » March 3rd, 2024, 5:03 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I know it's probably unlikely, but is it possible for Belmont to catch UNI in the rankings after all of tonight's games are played? They are only 5 spots behind UNI in the NET right now. I don't follow the NET close enough on a day to day basis to know if you can pick up 5 spots in a day this late in the season when both teams win.

There's basically zero chance of that.

UNI won on the road against a better opponent. Every factor that NET values prefers a road win against SIU versus a home win over Evansville.

Belmont would have to pitch a shutout to have any chance. I'm only slightly kidding.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball