Postby tribecalledquest » March 27th, 2024, 10:45 am

SalukiWorld wrote:SIU is hiring Wright State HC Scott Nagy

Good hire. Well done.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: SIU fires Bryan Mullins

Postby BCPanther » March 27th, 2024, 10:52 am

That's a high floor choice. You can do a lot worse in this world than Scott Nagy.

His biggest adjustment is going to be budget, he's used to having the best budget in his league and that won't be the case at SIU but he's won and stayed around so hopefully he can build something in Carbondale.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » March 27th, 2024, 11:53 am

Nagy is a good coach.

I think he can do well at SIU.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 27th, 2024, 12:03 pm

Scott Nagy has been a good coach for a really long time. I don’t know why he was off everyone’s radar, including my own. Probably because of his age.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 27th, 2024, 10:20 pm

SMU poached Enfield and his wife from USC so the Morehead coach won’t get the WKU job.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » March 28th, 2024, 12:40 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:SMU poached Enfield and his wife from USC so the Morehead coach won’t get the WKU job.

I think Lutz might be going to Oklahoma State. Also Spradlin is being mentioned for Charleston as well.

In terms of Nagy, haven't heard anything leading me to believe it won't happen but no announcement today is pretty weird.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 30ASaluki » March 28th, 2024, 5:44 am

SIU is dysfunctional in terms of administration and leadership. The chancellor was canned at his prior job as university president at Texas Southern for at best choosing to look the other way when students who were under qualified were allowed to enter law school for cash under the table. He was also cited for “extragant spending” on travel and entertainment. He has been working on giving Mullins the boot for the last year. He and the AD thought they had a couple of guys eager to be the next SIU coach, if Nagy turns them down they will be looking at a 4th or 5th pick for coach. SIU has a history of shooting themselves in the foot that extends well beyond the athletic department. Sigh.
30ASaluki
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 28th, 2024, 8:37 am

Nagy has an interesting history, been doing this along time. He had a really nice initial stretch at South Dakota St while they were D2, averaging about 24 wins for 9 seasons and being a regular in the D2 post season. Then when SDSU moved to D1 he had a rough stretch going 60-119 over 6 years; in fairness part of that was as an independent and scheduling was tough. After moving to Wright St and the Horizon he initially did very well placing first 3 times. I'd be a little concerned though in that if he had the best budget, his last 3 years were 58-42 and he finished 4th, 6th, t3rd. But a solid coach, safe hire.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby So iLL 24 » March 28th, 2024, 8:37 am

To my fellow Saluki fans, we have our coach. Press conference tomorrow!
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball