Missouri State Fires Dana Ford

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State Fires Dana Ford

Postby tribecalledquest » March 24th, 2024, 2:15 pm

Aces44 wrote:
ValleyFAN wrote:Rumor is that McCollum asked for some program improvements but was told not possible, so he has viewed that the program is not committed to winning basketball. So, he may be out at this point.

If that’s true, McC’s agent should have reminded him that D2 coaches don’t get to ask for “program improvements” from D1 programs before they have won a single D1 game

Sure they do. It’s his ass on the line.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aces44 » March 24th, 2024, 2:18 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Aces44 wrote:
ValleyFAN wrote:Rumor is that McCollum asked for some program improvements but was told not possible, so he has viewed that the program is not committed to winning basketball. So, he may be out at this point.

If that’s true, McC’s agent should have reminded him that D2 coaches don’t get to ask for “program improvements” from D1 programs before they have won a single D1 game

Sure they do. It’s his ass on the line.

Nah, unproven performers don’t get to make demands

Ego has been the downfall of many a man
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » March 24th, 2024, 3:27 pm

I've been getting a Tom Crean vibe for the past week; not my choice , but he seems to fit a lot of the scenarios being floated . He's definitely shopping right now. :roll:
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » March 24th, 2024, 4:16 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I've been getting a Tom Crean vibe for the past week; not my choice , but he seems to fit a lot of the scenarios being floated . He's definitely shopping right now. :roll:

Please no.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 24th, 2024, 4:26 pm

Tom Crean is always really enthusiastic about the Valley on ESPN. Whether it’s in the studio or elsewhere, this league is lucky to have him as an ally.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 25th, 2024, 8:41 am

Things have gotten even more quiet, which usually means a decision has been made . No real new names have surfaced for about a week. Henderson, McCollum, Alford, Crean is all we've heard , and I've not seen Henderson linked to us in anything but forum talk, no national media. However, most of the recent Mo St hires have come as a surprise w/o much pre knowledge by fans and media, so could still be a name we just haven't talked about. But I still think Crean as of today, and still hope for a McCollum hire that likely isn't gonna happen.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 25th, 2024, 9:34 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Things have gotten even more quiet, which usually means a decision has been made . No real new names have surfaced for about a week. Henderson, McCollum, Alford, Crean is all we've heard , and I've not seen Henderson linked to us in anything but forum talk, no national media. However, most of the recent Mo St hires have come as a surprise w/o much pre knowledge by fans and media, so could still be a name we just haven't talked about. But I still think Crean as of today, and still hope for a McCollum hire that likely isn't gonna happen.

Would Alford leave Nevada for MSU? That seems weird. Unless he is under pressure there.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValleyFAN » March 25th, 2024, 9:46 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Things have gotten even more quiet, which usually means a decision has been made . No real new names have surfaced for about a week. Henderson, McCollum, Alford, Crean is all we've heard , and I've not seen Henderson linked to us in anything but forum talk, no national media. However, most of the recent Mo St hires have come as a surprise w/o much pre knowledge by fans and media, so could still be a name we just haven't talked about. But I still think Crean as of today, and still hope for a McCollum hire that likely isn't gonna happen.

Would Alford leave Nevada for MSU? That seems weird. Unless he is under pressure there.

I'm a skeptic of how serious the talks are, BUT there's definitely something there.

Alford has remarked with how much he enjoyed Springfield and wouldn't mind retiring there. He was on campus earlier this year for the Sweet 16 reunion. It's rumored that his son Kory, who is the HC at NAIA Huntington University, would be brought along as top asst to be possible coach in waiting. SImilar to what we did in Football with bringing in Bobby Petrino and his son-in-law Ryan Beard was the successor.

I still think it's far fetched but there have been talks.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » March 25th, 2024, 10:16 am

ValleyFAN wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I'm a skeptic of how serious the talks are, BUT there's definitely something there.

Alford has remarked with how much he enjoyed Springfield and wouldn't mind retiring there. He was on campus earlier this year for the Sweet 16 reunion. It's rumored that his son Kory, who is the HC at NAIA Huntington University, would be brought along as top asst to be possible coach in waiting. SImilar to what we did in Football with bringing in Bobby Petrino and his son-in-law Ryan Beard was the successor.

I still think it's far fetched but there have been talks.

Thanks for that. Makes more sense now.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » March 25th, 2024, 10:26 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Tom Crean is always really enthusiastic about the Valley on ESPN. Whether it’s in the studio or elsewhere, this league is lucky to have him as an ally.

Brian Wardle played for Crean at Marquette, and then Wardle was an assistant for him as well, so I'm sure that connection is one reason he loves the Valley.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball