Missouri State Fires Dana Ford

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby BEARZ77 » March 10th, 2024, 9:37 am

Kyle moats just released a press notice of the firing of Dana Ford.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Missouri State Fires Dana Ford

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 10th, 2024, 9:47 am

A coach wearing maroon was a curse this weekend.

Always sad to see these things because it has an effect on someone living their dream and working their butt off as well as their family. Hope all coaches and staff who lose their jobs this season find a place to thrive at their next stop.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 11th, 2024, 8:00 am

@coaching changes tweeted today that a coaching friend has indicated that Ben McCollum will be the next coach at Missouri St and that the deal had been done for awhile. Unconfirmed and not likely to be for a while if so, but I think it's probably true. I hope we actually entertain a few other options cause you never know , but most in Bear Nation would be supportive of this hire;a few still have the D2 skepticism , and obviously a few always have their favorite candidates [ Barry Hinson, Drew Richards, Blake Ahearn, Corey Gipson etc etc] but I think the ground swell is for McCollum.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 11th, 2024, 8:33 am

BEARZ77 wrote:@coaching changes tweeted today that a coaching friend has indicated that Ben McCollum will be the next coach at Missouri St and that the deal had been done for awhile. Unconfirmed and not likely to be for a while if so, but I think it's probably true. I hope we actually entertain a few other options cause you never know , but most in Bear Nation would be supportive of this hire;a few still have the D2 skepticism , and obviously a few always have their favorite candidates [ Barry Hinson, Drew Richards, Blake Ahearn, Corey Gipson etc etc] but I think the ground swell is for McCollum.

There are no slam dunks but this one make a ton of sense.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 11th, 2024, 8:37 am

Hearing Porter Moser to DePaul is a done deal.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » March 11th, 2024, 8:38 am

Ben McCollum of Northwest Missouri State to Missouri State sounds imminent.

I would have liked him for ISU.
Last edited by IllinoisState on March 11th, 2024, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 11th, 2024, 8:38 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Hearing Porter Moser to DePaul is a done deal.

That seems like a weird move. Unless he is beating the sheriff out of town.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 11th, 2024, 8:41 am

If true, that’s a classic example of certain jobs/fan bases bringing stress to coaches that drives them and their families insane. Run back home to a job where merely *contending* for an at-large will make him a hero.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 11th, 2024, 9:07 am

tribecalledquest wrote:

That seems like a weird move. Unless he is beating the sheriff out of town.

Well could be a lot of things; Moser been there long enough to be able to contrast working for a mega state school vs a private , so maybe that's a issue. Also was coaching in the best basketball conference in the country, and now, while the SEC is good in bb as well, it's clearly a conference that football starts every discussion and hovers over every decision. And yeah, you're probably looking at a situation at DePaul that if by year 3 you're in the discussion for an at large, you're a hero getting a life extension.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » March 11th, 2024, 10:21 am

BEARZ77 wrote:@coaching changes tweeted today that a coaching friend has indicated that Ben McCollum will be the next coach at Missouri St and that the deal had been done for awhile. Unconfirmed and not likely to be for a while if so, but I think it's probably true. I hope we actually entertain a few other options cause you never know , but most in Bear Nation would be supportive of this hire;a few still have the D2 skepticism , and obviously a few always have their favorite candidates [ Barry Hinson, Drew Richards, Blake Ahearn, Corey Gipson etc etc] but I think the ground swell is for McCollum.

McCollum would be a good get. The guy is a winner.

The real question is why anyone would prefer any of the guys you mentioned to McCollum. You'd also think the success Schertz is having at Indiana State would inform their viewpoints about DII guys. Both were big winners in the regular season (80%+) but McCollum also has four national titles. Schertz was really, really good in DII. McCollum has been better.

If this is true, Missouri State should lock it up ASAP and put in a huge buyout.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball