Missouri State Fires Dana Ford

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State Fires Dana Ford

Postby BEARZ77 » March 11th, 2024, 10:33 am

TylerDurden wrote:McCollum would be a good get. The guy is a winner.

The real question is why anyone would prefer any of the guys you mentioned to McCollum. You'd also think the success Schertz is having at Indiana State would inform their viewpoints about DII guys. Both were big winners in the regular season (80%+) but McCollum also has four national titles. Schertz was really, really good in DII. McCollum has been better.

If this is true, Missouri State should lock it up ASAP and put in a huge buyout.

Not much question among many of our base, but you always have some dissenters. You never know for sure with sources, but we have some AAU guys on our board , it's been indicated for over a year that McCollum wanted the Mo St job, may have turned down other offers in hopes of it being open. When you start reading articles about him and look beyond just his record, he is very respected as an innovator and consultant to other coaches . There are lots of good candidates, but this one screams no brainer to me. My final question to myself on any candidate is can I see them matching strategy in a championship game vs Devries, Jake, Wardle and not being outclassed . I see that possible for this guy; always thought we'd just have to out athlete under Ford.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bulldog4life24 » March 11th, 2024, 10:43 am

BEARZ77 wrote:

The real question is why anyone would prefer any of the guys you mentioned to McCollum. You'd also think the success Schertz is having at Indiana State would inform their viewpoints about DII guys. Both were big winners in the regular season (80%+) but McCollum also has four national titles. Schertz was really, really good in DII. McCollum has been better.

If this is true, Missouri State should lock it up ASAP and put in a huge buyout.

Not much question among many of our base, but you always have some dissenters. You never know for sure with sources, but we have some AAU guys on our board , it's been indicated for over a year that McCollum wanted the Mo St job, may have turned down other offers in hopes of it being open. When you start reading articles about him and look beyond just his record, he is very respected as an innovator and consultant to other coaches . There are lots of good candidates, but this one screams no brainer to me. My final question to myself on any candidate is can I see them matching strategy in a championship game vs Devries, Jake, Wardle and not being outclassed . I see that possible for this guy; always thought we'd just have to out athlete under Ford.

A good friend of mine was on Coach Mac's staff for a bit and was there for undergrad. Hes the real deal. If MSU gets this done, ya'll will be contending in 2 years. Mark it
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 11th, 2024, 12:23 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:

I was listening to an interview with the SIU AD and he said almost exactly this sentence verbatim with the same 3 names.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 11th, 2024, 12:32 pm

He sounds like a smart guy !! But really, shouldn't that be the question for any Valley MBB coaching hire. I mean in the end, he's gonna have to beat those 3 guys on a sat or sun to get anywhere. Although that could change as far as Devries fairly quickly.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » March 11th, 2024, 3:56 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:He sounds like a smart guy !! But really, shouldn't that be the question for any Valley MBB coaching hire. I mean in the end, he's gonna have to beat those 3 guys on a sat or sun to get anywhere. Although that could change as far as Devries fairly quickly.

You can hope.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » March 11th, 2024, 7:34 pm

Nah I like having him in the Valley. You wanna be good, you have to beat somebody; don't matter to me who that is .
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » March 11th, 2024, 7:46 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Hearing Porter Moser to DePaul is a done deal.

Not right now at least.

https://twitter.com/PorterMoser/status/ ... 0287284556
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 19th, 2024, 11:32 pm

NW Missouri St lost tonight 43-42 to Minnesota St Mankato, so McCollum is now available for a press conference.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValleyFAN » March 20th, 2024, 8:26 am

Anything is possible obviously but right now it seems more likely than not that the Bears are looking at hiring either
a. Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State
b. A "big swing" type retread DI coach. Think Tom Crean, Chris Mack, Bob Huggins, someone along those lines. There are a couple posters on our board who are most definitely "in the know" who say that we are very involved with a big time name coach who is interested, but they aren't willing to leak who it is at this point.

Could still end up hiring K-State assistant Rodney Perry, former Bear and current Grizzlies assistant Blake Ahearn, or someone else completely, but right now the intel we have is pointing to either of the above as more likely than not.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » March 20th, 2024, 9:48 am

ValleyFAN wrote:Anything is possible obviously but right now it seems more likely than not that the Bears are looking at hiring either
a. Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State
b. A "big swing" type retread DI coach. Think Tom Crean, Chris Mack, Bob Huggins, someone along those lines. There are a couple posters on our board who are most definitely "in the know" who say that we are very involved with a big time name coach who is interested, but they aren't willing to leak who it is at this point.

Could still end up hiring K-State assistant Rodney Perry, former Bear and current Grizzlies assistant Blake Ahearn, or someone else completely, but right now the intel we have is pointing to either of the above as more likely than not.

Hire Ben McCollum and let's go.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball