UIC fires Luke Yaklich

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UIC fires Luke Yaklich

Postby SalukiWorld » March 22nd, 2024, 11:15 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:I’m not a fan of Mullins by any stretch but at the very least he would have brought AAU connections and probably brought the entire SIU roster with him. I would have picked him over this unless he didn’t want the job.

He will only take a head coaching job that is a “perfect fit” in the future. He is weighing a few options right now, some as an assistant, some in “other” assistant roles. I don’t believe he is considering any head coaching jobs right now with the bad taste in his mouth.

When you just got fired are you really in a position to hold out for the "perfect fit?"

I personally think Bryan would benefit from being an assistant at a power program over being a head coach right now. We'll see if Oklahoma opens up for him.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » March 22nd, 2024, 11:33 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:I’m not a fan of Mullins by any stretch but at the very least he would have brought AAU connections and probably brought the entire SIU roster with him. I would have picked him over this unless he didn’t want the job.

He will only take a head coaching job that is a “perfect fit” in the future. He is weighing a few options right now, some as an assistant, some in “other” assistant roles. I don’t believe he is considering any head coaching jobs right now with the bad taste in his mouth.

When you just got fired are you really in a position to hold out for the "perfect fit?"

It’s more about being apprehensive about taking any head coaching jobs in the future than “holding out.”
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby quatros_saluki » March 22nd, 2024, 2:43 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:

He's a millionaire, pretty sure he can afford to hold out a little while and get a job he really wants.
quatros_saluki
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby tribecalledquest » March 22nd, 2024, 4:27 pm

Mullins held out for an assistant job at DePaul.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » March 22nd, 2024, 5:01 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Mullins held out for an assistant job at DePaul.

You’re clearly more interested in being a douche than getting the point so let me make this clear for you.

Mullins isn’t interested in a head coaching job. This came straight from his mouth on the phone to a friend which I listened in on. Believe it or not, these people have feelings and not everything is looked at through the lenses of “career success.” He had some assistant options available. DePaul is close to home for him and not a bad job.

Ask Dan Muller what he thinks about being a college coach again. His response: “Hell no.” Life moves on, and these guys have enough money to make whatever decision is best for their family.

He might be interested in future opportunities, but right now, he wouldn’t take one even if he has an offer.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 22nd, 2024, 7:03 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Mullins held out for an assistant job at DePaul.

You’re clearly more interested in being a douche than getting the point so let me make this clear for you.

Mullins isn’t interested in a head coaching job. This came straight from his mouth on the phone to a friend which I listened in on. Believe it or not, these people have feelings and not everything is looked at through the lenses of “career success.” He had some assistant options available. DePaul is close to home for him and not a bad job.

Ask Dan Muller what he thinks about being a college coach again. His response: “Hell no.” Life moves on, and these guys have enough money to make whatever decision is best for their family.

He might be interested in future opportunities, but right now, he wouldn’t take one even if he has an offer.

To be clear. I’m not interested in playing in the NBA at this time. Just want to get that out there to any teams that might want to sign me. Want to get ahead of this so people know my feelings. It doesn’t matter the opportunity. Thanks.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » March 23rd, 2024, 7:45 am

This isn't a Mullins thread.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 23rd, 2024, 8:25 am

TylerDurden wrote:This isn't a Mullins thread.

Fair point. My bad.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UICJohn » March 23rd, 2024, 9:15 am

Well, I can also confirm that is UIC fans are quite underwhelmed by the hire as well.

He is still young and hopefully has learned and can improve on his first stint as a head coach. But with no ties to Chicago, his Assistant hires are even more important.

Has a lot to prove. Our AD’s recent hires across all sports have been suspect and this one is the same. Was hoping they’d make a big splash since we let go of Yak who had 2 more years under contract but this isn’t that.

Most of big minutes from last year are in the portal and expect they’re all gone. We do have some younger players that didn’t get much time but have talent. Let’s see how they fit into this new coach’s system. Also, have an All City recruit that I am hoping is still on board.
UICJohn
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Chuck A » March 24th, 2024, 1:35 am

Ehsan took a 26-7, 16-2 team from '15-'16 that lost only one senior and finished in 7th place in CUSA at 17-16, 9-9 the following season. His Conference record was worst than both AW Hamilton and Robert Jones. This appears to be a "hire on the cheap". They're still on the hook for 2 more years owed Yaklich.

Sure, Ehsan could've learned and could be a better coach, but his mentor to "learn" from was still Stanford head coach Jerod Hasse who he replaced at UAB. I hope I'm wrong, but he appears to be a stop gap answer until somebody bigger comes along. At this point, I have no confidence in this hire.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball