The Topic We All Hate

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: The Topic We All Hate

Postby Blers42 » March 17th, 2024, 10:56 pm

Unless Schertz gets a better offer I think he’s gone. SLU is one of the best mid major jobs out there. My question is, if he does take the job does he bring some of his players with him? I recall Schertz bringing some players from his D2 program to ISUb but I’m not 100% on that.
Blers42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 17th, 2024, 11:01 pm

Blers42 wrote:Unless Schertz gets a better offer I think he’s gone. SLU is one of the best mid major jobs out there. My question is, if he does take the job does he bring some of his players with him? I recall Schertz bringing some players from his D2 program to ISUb but I’m not 100% on that.

I think it's already a done deal (Thamel is reporting they're in negotiations), and his starting 5 will go with him. Players are pretty loyal to coaches today in these situations.

Indiana State will need a good back-up plan because I don't think there's anything they can do when Saint Louis is offering $2.5 million. Blitzing Ben McCollum and hoping Missouri St fumbles that would be a good Plan B for the Trees.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers42 » March 17th, 2024, 11:09 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Blers42 wrote:Unless Schertz gets a better offer I think he’s gone. SLU is one of the best mid major jobs out there. My question is, if he does take the job does he bring some of his players with him? I recall Schertz bringing some players from his D2 program to ISUb but I’m not 100% on that.

I think it's already a done deal (Thamel is reporting they're in negotiations), and his starting 5 will go with him. Players are pretty loyal to coaches today in these situations.

Indiana State will need a good back-up plan because I don't think there's anything they can do when Saint Louis is offering $2.5 million. Blitzing Ben McCollum and hoping Missouri St fumbles that would be a good Plan B for the Trees.

Wow didn’t realize it was already that far along. I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that he’d bring his best players. It’s not like he was at Indiana State for that long so there’s no much he can do in terms of leaving the program in good shape. Most of the players would likely transfer anyways if they didn’t come with him. With that being said, I feel really bad for ISUb fans. In less than 24hrs they went from having some hope to making the tournament to potentially losing their entire team.
Blers42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby racernation » March 18th, 2024, 5:57 am

Sounds like Indiana State is about to experience what Murray went through in 2022.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PretzelDawg » March 18th, 2024, 8:59 am

I don't anticipate St. Louis continuing to offer Travis Ford money. I expect the salary to be more in the $1.5-2 million dollar range. Year in and year out the A-10 gets more love than the MVC. I know the A-10 is down this year, but over time you have to consider an A-10 position as a stronger position as head coach than the Valley.

I do hope one day the Valley can claim to year-by-year being a stronger hoops conference.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Red » March 18th, 2024, 10:01 am

PretzelDawg wrote:I don't anticipate St. Louis continuing to offer Travis Ford money. I expect the salary to be more in the $1.5-2 million dollar range. Year in and year out the A-10 gets more love than the MVC. I know the A-10 is down this year, but over time you have to consider an A-10 position as a stronger position as head coach than the Valley.

I do hope one day the Valley can claim to year-by-year being a stronger hoops conference.

The A-10 perceives itself to be a better league, but the truth is that they were really deserving of a single NCAA bid while the MVC was deserving of two. What occurred to reverse that was such an anomaly that it's hard to believe the A-10 is anything more than an equal to the MVC, if not below us.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Blers42 » March 18th, 2024, 10:25 am

Red wrote:
PretzelDawg wrote:I don't anticipate St. Louis continuing to offer Travis Ford money. I expect the salary to be more in the $1.5-2 million dollar range. Year in and year out the A-10 gets more love than the MVC. I know the A-10 is down this year, but over time you have to consider an A-10 position as a stronger position as head coach than the Valley.

The A-10 perceives itself to be a better league, but the truth is that they were really deserving of a single NCAA bid while the MVC was deserving of two. What occurred to reverse that was such an anomaly that it's hard to believe the A-10 is anything more than an equal to the MVC, if not below us.

It’s more than just the A10 perceiving it, the media also believes it. Along with kenpom analytics confirming. I don’t think they’re much different, but the A10 is slightly ahead. That could always change.
Blers42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Drakey » March 18th, 2024, 11:10 am

It is sad that you can essentially buy a whole team and coach now.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 21st, 2024, 1:33 am

Chaifetz was live-tweeting about Indiana St during their game tonight. He then deleted after screenshots went around.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 21st, 2024, 6:48 am

Drakey wrote:It is sad that you can essentially buy a whole team and coach now.

Like Indiana State did when they hire Schertz from Lincoln Memorial?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball