Official MVCfans.com prediction - 7th place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 7th place for the 2010-2011 MVC Mens Basketball Season?

Bradley
9%
Creighton
1%
Indiana State
40%
Illinois State
40%
Missouri State
1%
Northern Iowa
3%
Wichita State
5%

Total votes : 77

Re: Official MVCfans.com prediction - 7th place

Postby WuDrWu » August 31st, 2010, 10:23 am

Khan4Cats wrote:So your basically agreeing with him that Ahelegbe would be a bigger loss.

As for the other players, we certainly know that we can't expect much from our reserves, seeing as they were 'boat-raced' everytime they came in last year.

By the way, the starting line-up will likely be Ahelegbe, Moran (both two-year starters), Dunham (a 5th-year senior who started most of the games as a Fr), Koch and then a question between O'Rear, Rank, and Austin Pehl. If it's O'Rear, the line-up will have 3 seniors, a junior and a sophomore-exactly the same mix as last year.

Actually, what I am saying is that it doesn't take a stretch at all to see UNI battling to stay out of the playin game. But, it seems that more than 1 Pantherfan is convinced that the 3 departing seniors were not all that integral in the success of the team as a whole, or players as specifics. They were just parts to be switched out for the next. Interchangeable links in a permanent fence of champions. Like Duke, UNI just reloads.

No lower than first or second from the Panthers for the foreseeable future.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » August 31st, 2010, 12:01 pm

WuDrWu wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:So your basically agreeing with him that Ahelegbe would be a bigger loss.

As for the other players, we certainly know that we can't expect much from our reserves, seeing as they were 'boat-raced' everytime they came in last year.

By the way, the starting line-up will likely be Ahelegbe, Moran (both two-year starters), Dunham (a 5th-year senior who started most of the games as a Fr), Koch and then a question between O'Rear, Rank, and Austin Pehl. If it's O'Rear, the line-up will have 3 seniors, a junior and a sophomore-exactly the same mix as last year.

Actually, what I am saying is that it doesn't take a stretch at all to see UNI battling to stay out of the playin game. But, it seems that more than 1 Pantherfan is convinced that the 3 departing seniors were not all that integral in the success of the team as a whole, or players as specifics. They were just parts to be switched out for the next. Interchangeable links in a permanent fence of champions. Like Duke, UNI just reloads.

I think most UNI posters here are being fairly realistic about this upcoming season. It seems like most posters from other schools think UNI will be a top half or top third team again, and in the hunt. I don't really see many UNI posters going out on the limb any further than that.

But if it's your desire to be this year's Dawgiestyle, by all means... proceed.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby RoyalShock » August 31st, 2010, 12:17 pm

Voters in these polls typically assume that all players will remain healthy, as there is no way to predict injuries to specific players. I agree with Doc that UNI doesn't have experienced depth and lost a good chunk of talent. An injury to a key player like Koch or Ahelegbe could be much worse for UNI than for a team like WSU due to the amount of experienced depth and talent.

UNI has a good coach and system, but that doesn't mean that Jacobsen can just plug anyone in anywhere and not see a drop in overall production. I don't think any system is that good.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » August 31st, 2010, 2:06 pm

WuDrWu wrote:

It is a stretch to say that UNI could be in the play in round. We lost some spectacular players, but still return a whole lot of experience. Lets be realistic here...

And I'm glad Khan brought up the 'boat raced' comment. As we all know, you were the guy that proclaimed that UNI's second 5 would be boat raced by most of the Valley. That was only a week or two before that very group abused the shockers starting 5 in the MVC title game. So we already know how much respect you have for the players on the UNI roster. Those are the same young players that we will return this year.

UNI's starting 5 next year will have as much experience coming back as almost any other team, and they have championship experience. And they will continue to use 4-5 guys off of the bench to go 9-10 players deep.

As was mentioned, anyone can play the "what if this guy gets inured" game with any team. If you take a valuable player or a starting PG off of any team, they will be a much different team. UNI is no different than any other team in that regard.

Nobody has said that UNI is going to roll through the valley again. If fact, I haven't seen a single person predict UNI to win the MVC next year. Fact is, with the team that UNI brings back, they are a lock to be a solid team and an easy choice to be top 5 again.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby catkids » August 31st, 2010, 2:15 pm

hot nuts wrote:
bigdawg wrote:Just a hunch, but I could see either Bradley or Illinois State slipping this year. If things don't start well for the Braves, job security becomes an issue for Les and the team could spiral.

You are very right. The Redbirds just have too many stats to replace with inexperienced players to not have a fall off. Unless Jimmy Les has rubbed his magic lamp and the genie granted Bradley an inside game they are not much of a threat.

Jimmy needs more then a magic lamp. He needs good bigs. I'm not saying they aren't currently in the program but it sure will be a big surprise if they are. If losing big Sam S. causes you problems we are in big trouble. Someone has to step up and maybe two need to or this is going to be a train wreck waiting to happen and it will be bye bye Jim.
catkids
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Redbirdfan21 » August 31st, 2010, 2:39 pm

Me thinks this poll is gonna come down to the last day!
Redbirdfan21
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » August 31st, 2010, 3:49 pm

Redbirdfan21 wrote:Me thinks this poll is gonna come down to the last day!

We may not see many, if any, more votes. So far there've been 52, 54 and 57 and this one is at 55. But it will be interesting where the final couple votes may go.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » August 31st, 2010, 10:23 pm

Have 3 Tree fans signed up today?
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » September 1st, 2010, 7:31 am

When we all travel to St. Louis I will be VERY surprised if we see the Redbirds in a play in game.

I was trying to remember the last times they were in that situation? When was it?
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Birdfan10 » September 1st, 2010, 8:32 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:When we all travel to St. Louis I will be VERY surprised if we see the Redbirds in a play in game.

I was trying to remember the last times they were in that situation? When was it?

The year before Jankovich.
Birdfan10
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball