Do you root for MVC schools in recruiting?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Do you root for MVC schools in recruiting?

Postby Little Eddie » August 31st, 2010, 7:28 am

Shockerfan13 wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:If a non-UNI MVC school can bring in a talented kid who isn't someone we would be going after, I'm all for it. Raising the talent level in the conference is a good thing.

It seems like Creighton and UNI have often been interested in many of the same players over the years, and obviously that will be even more so going forward with McDermott.

And now that Creighton has an assistant with Texas ties they are starting to piss me off by going after WSU recruits also....LOL ;P

Ah well, we will get a verbal from Kravish (granted he is from Lee's Summit) and Chatman soon enough.....muahahahahah :twisted:

Indiana State is hunting Texas as well (Lou Gudino assistant coach)...things could get interesting between WSU, CU, Indy St and MSU...I see that Bradley is even after a guy or two down there as well.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » August 31st, 2010, 8:20 am

MoValley John wrote:I don't root for or against any Valley school when it comes to recruiting. Who cares? Recruits wash out almost as often as they are successful, so why get bent out of shape over who recruited whom? Schools recruit the best players they can get, some work out, some don't. And while some follow recruiting more closely than others, to root for or against against a school (other than the school that you have a vested interest in) landing a recruit is a little silly.

I agree with this. We have seen in recent years how well a "highly-rated" recruit does at a Valley school-a la P'Allen or all that talent that went to SIU. We have also seen how unrated recruits have been successful. It is, in general, a crapshoot.

What has made the Valley is getting quality players who are willing to bust their tails for four or five years and develop under good coaches throughout the league. I agree that the overall quality has risen and it is generally a good thing, as long as they will work hard and the coaches can develop them.

I don't get caught up in all the stars or whatever, I am looking for a player that will come into the system that UNI has and take up a role within that system.

Quite frankly, I am happy that other schools are able to sign such "top" recruits. It makes it all that much sweeter when UNI's TEAM beats them.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » August 31st, 2010, 10:47 am

I'm sure Bradley loves our recruiting (John Wilkins).

Anyone who follows recruiting will notice that on many recruits the MVC is in competition with each other so I am guessing there is a lot of rooting against going on.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby catkids » August 31st, 2010, 2:22 pm

DUBulldog wrote:I definitely root for MVC teams in recruiting, unless they're recruiting the same kids DU is recruiting.

I think that, overall, MVC teams are recruiting at a slightly higher level than in the past.

I feel the same way DU. I want to see the league get better but not at our expense if we are recuiting the same kid and its between us and another Valley school. Each school needs to get better kids every year to get better or play Thur. Its that easy.
catkids
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby MacGuyver » September 1st, 2010, 9:00 am

Shockerfan13 wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:If a non-UNI MVC school can bring in a talented kid who isn't someone we would be going after, I'm all for it. Raising the talent level in the conference is a good thing.

It seems like Creighton and UNI have often been interested in many of the same players over the years, and obviously that will be even more so going forward with McDermott.

And now that Creighton has an assistant with Texas ties they are starting to piss me off by going after WSU recruits also....LOL ;P

Ah well, we will get a verbal from Kravish (granted he is from Lee's Summit) and Chatman soon enough.....muahahahahah :twisted:

Kravish isnt going to WSU. Chatman will be a toss up between CU and WSU as long as Colorado doesnt offer, but yes having Lutz on the Creighton staff is huge for Texas recruiting.
MacGuyver
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Snapshot9 » September 7th, 2010, 11:23 am

I root for WSU in recruiting, depending on whether I think the player is really worth it or not. There are so many possible recruits out there, I don't root for us to get what appears to be a 'mediocre' player. Mediorce players are a dime a dozen, and they really end up hurting your team as much as helping them.

I am a homer, but not to the point to where 'reality' is being distorted.
Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » September 7th, 2010, 11:27 am

BirdmanBB wrote:I'm sure Bradley loves our recruiting (John Wilkins).

Anyone who follows recruiting will notice that on many recruits the MVC is in competition with each other so I am guessing there is a lot of rooting against going on.

FYI--I am one Bradley fan who doesn't give two nickels about John Wilkins. I've been saying that for two years ever since he was supposed to go to Bradley.

Im with MVJ on this. I don't worry about recruiting until I see the guys play in the MVC. Every fan likes to claim their recruits are good--well, of course they were good players with good stats--or else they wouldn't be D1 recruits.

If any of us have any REAL idea how a 17-year old recruit from Tulsa going to Wichita compares to a 17-year old recruit from Naperville going to Illinois State then I would be really surprised. Throw them all in a bunch and they will shake out in about two years. Everyone in the league, generally, are going after the same type of guys.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuDrWu » September 7th, 2010, 12:05 pm

MacGuyver wrote: Chatman will be a toss up between CU and WSU as long as Colorado doesnt offer, but yes having Lutz on the Creighton staff is huge for Texas recruiting.

I promise you it isn't a toss up between CU and WSU for Chatman. Don't flatter yourself. If he ends up at CU it will be because WSU no longer wanted him.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snapshot9 » September 20th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Been hearing a lot about Creighton's Steve Lutz and his recruiting, especially in Texas. Here is his picture, so you can be on the lookout for him ... lol

Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ictjay » September 21st, 2010, 5:43 am

WuDrWu wrote:
MacGuyver wrote: Chatman will be a toss up between CU and WSU as long as Colorado doesnt offer, but yes having Lutz on the Creighton staff is huge for Texas recruiting.

I promise you it isn't a toss up between CU and WSU for Chatman. Don't flatter yourself. If he ends up at CU it will be because WSU no longer wanted him.

Thank you for letting us have him!
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball