Wichita State schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State schedule

Postby unipanther99 » October 6th, 2010, 7:03 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Agreed. Is the track and field event on any sort of national television?

It is, on CBS.

Undoubtedly many more televisions sets are tuned in to watch the College World Series than the Track finals, but I don't think that has anything to do with the host of the event.

Dozens of teams, hundreds of athletes, a small army of volunteers, hospitality requirements, and logistics make the national track meet a challenge. The scale of those needs would be similar (I would think) to the CWS.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » October 6th, 2010, 9:19 pm

NCAA Track and Field finals are covered on network tv as Uni stated. Not cable, national network tv. I would say that the NCAA track and field championships is a much bigger logistical nightmare than the CWS. Throughout each day, hurdles must be set, reset, taken off the track and put back on the track. Accomodations, lodging and transportation must be made for over 1,000 athletes and their coaches, as well as NCAA meet officials. These are world class athletes and exact measurements for the field events is necesarry, as well as perfect timing on the track events. You need a slew of volunteers and much, much more. This may be the most difficult of NCAA events to host.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » October 6th, 2010, 9:19 pm

I know there was some discussion about this, but I wasn't sure it had been made "official". Shox are hosting Tulsa at IBA:

WICHITA, Kan.- Wichita State will play a men's basketball game in downtown Wichita for the first time since 1955 when the series against Tulsa is renewed on Dec. 21 at INTRUST Bank Arena, Director of Athletics Eric Sexton announced today.

"Wichita State is excited about the opportunity to be the first Division I basketball team to play in INTRUST Bank Arena," Sexton said. "This is a partnership opportunity for WSU, Sedgwick County and the City of Wichita for the Shockers to play basketball in a great venue. INTRUST Bank Arena must also host a Division I basketball game this year as part of these same partners bringing the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament event to Wichita in the spring, so the Tulsa game made sense for a lot of reasons."

This WSU home game is included in the Wichita State men's basketball season ticket package for 2010-11. Since the venue is INTRUST Bank Arena, the tickets for this game will be mailed at a later date than the remainder of the home game package.

http://www.goshockers.com//ViewArticle. ... =205007428
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby bigdawg » October 7th, 2010, 7:09 am

So they're moving their best home game out of Koch with the worlds greatest home court advantage so they can host the womens tourney? Why not just play an exhibition or buy game there? Are there not enough fans to fill Intrust for someone other than Tulsa?
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » October 7th, 2010, 7:52 am

bigdawg wrote:So they're moving their best home game out of Koch with the worlds greatest home court advantage so they can host the womens tourney? Why not just play an exhibition or buy game there? Are there not enough fans to fill Intrust for someone other than Tulsa?

At this point, the game needs to have positive cashflow. If they played a SWAC team at IBA, it probably wouldn't draw 10,000. And with CKA holding almost 11,000, a move to IBA would only make sense if it was a sell out or near sell out.

Once the fact that more revenue can be derived at IBA, this will justify the notion that there should probably be more games scheduled there. Afterall, Marshall isn't using the potential of four games played at IBA in a player's career as a recruiting tool. That would be silly and unproductive use of time. He is taking the kids to IBA and telling them that there may be many more than that. The first game must be successful to justify more games. That isn't going to happen if the first game is Kennesaw State.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » October 7th, 2010, 8:08 am

MoValley John wrote:
bigdawg wrote:So they're moving their best home game out of Koch with the worlds greatest home court advantage so they can host the womens tourney? Why not just play an exhibition or buy game there? Are there not enough fans to fill Intrust for someone other than Tulsa?

At this point, the game needs to have positive cashflow. If they played a SWAC team at IBA, it probably wouldn't draw 10,000. And with CKA holding almost 11,000, a move to IBA would only make sense if it was a sell out or near sell out.

Once the fact that more revenue can be derived at IBA, this will justify the notion that there should probably be more games scheduled there. Afterall, Marshall isn't using the potential of four games played at IBA in a player's career as a recruiting tool. That would be silly and unproductive use of time. He is taking the kids to IBA and telling them that there may be many more than that. The first game must be successful to justify more games. That isn't going to happen if the first game is Kennesaw State.

So you think there is a long term plan to move out of Koch to Intrust? While I agree IBA would be a better facility, I think Shox fans would hate to see it happen and to see a half full arena at IBA more often than not.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » October 7th, 2010, 8:22 am

bigdawg wrote:
MoValley John wrote:

So you think there is a long term plan to move out of Koch to Intrust? While I agree IBA would be a better facility, I think Shox fans would hate to see it happen and to see a half full arena at IBA more often than not.

I think Shocker fans would be very upset if the plan was to move. I also see the tone in which things have been and are being reported. It is being done very carefully. It is being highlighted that ths game MUST take place to satisfy the requirements for hosting the NCAA's. At the same time, they are mentioning that Gregg Marshall is taking recruits to see the place. If it's good enough for Gregg, it should be good enough for Shocker fans.

All that said, one must also keep in mind the political pressure to move more games downtown. That pressure comes from Global Spectrum, Sedgewick County, the CIty of Wichita and every bigwig that has a suite at IBA and wants games played there. They all know a few things: Shocker fans won't like the move, there would be a huge uproar if the changes took place all at once, over time it can be sold and most of all, even if you upset the boosters, if the move is done right they will bitch, moan, complain, but while they grumble they will still pay their donation and buy season tickets. Give it five years.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 7th, 2010, 11:34 am

MVJ has pretty much nailed everything. Bigdawg needs to read more before he posts.

Insert a buy game against a 300 RPI team for any Division I team out there and it's gonna be a struggle to get over 10,000 to come and see it at a non-normal facility. The AD has expressed that he would like to play one game a year at IBA, probably to just mix things around and have a nice connection going with the County on the use of the arena.

The World's Greatest Homecourt Advantage will not be compromised for 1 game a year there. No.1, this game at IBA is included in the season ticket package. And just for being the first Division I game at the place, you're gonna get a good non-season ticket crowd. A lot of WSU fans can't go to games because Koch is sold out so routinely so getting this game gives an extra opportunity for more of them to go. Using a good game like this guarantees that. It would make little sense to throw a Texas Southern out for this one. And that would go for any school.

And WSU is not moving to IBA. We didn't raise $30 million 7 years ago for nothing. Everybody knows the advantages of Koch and I'm sure the WSU administration is no exception. That statement was just completely asinine.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » October 7th, 2010, 11:39 am

MVJ concluded that you'll be playing downtown in 5 years. Did he nail that too?
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » October 7th, 2010, 11:42 am

bigdawg wrote:MVJ concluded that you'll be playing downtown in 5 years. Did he nail that too?

He said "more games". He didn't say an entire season. And if he is implying an entire season (as in a permanent move) he is greatly mistaken.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball