Wichita State schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State schedule

Postby MVCfans » September 23rd, 2010, 4:11 pm

So, anyway... back to Wichita's schedule. I think we'd all like to see the projected favorite in the MVC have a tougher slate, but a single win over UCONN helps Wichita's at large chances (should they need one) significantly. It seems pretty obvious to me that the WSU vs. UCONN game will be the most important our of conference game an MVC team plays this year.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby beatingrillz » September 23rd, 2010, 7:22 pm

Did jank help the shockers with the scheduling this year it is full of cupcakes.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » September 23rd, 2010, 7:43 pm

PricklyPete wrote:
MoValley John wrote:Here's something interesting...Wichita State released their whole schedule and it's pretty weak...except for a game vs. Tulsa..
BUT -- there's talk among the Shocker fans who seem to know something -- that the Tulsa game is NOT going to be played in the Shockers' usual home arena...
Instead, for a reason not yet made clear, it is reportedly going to be played in the "INTRUST Bank Arena" affectionately called "IBA" by Shocker fans...
INTRUST is a 15,000 seat municipal arena in downtown Wichita, only 5-10 minutes away from the Wichita State University campus.
Wichita's usual on-campus home arena, the Charles Koch Arena (once called Levitt Arena and sometimes referred to as the Roundhouse) seats 10,500.

So Wichita is going to play in rented arena? Oh, the irony.

No IBA has to have basketball games played in it so Wichita can host an NCAA tournament game. That is one reason that we did not get one when the NCAA picked host sites, there has not been a NCAA game in the arena yet. Im sure WSU is just going to make this a once a year thing. And we have to have one for the Girls NCAA tournament. What better place is there to have it then when you are playing a team that you used to be biggest rivals with!
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LMS » September 23rd, 2010, 8:09 pm

Not sure if that is a rule or not, but IBA got passed because it's too small and has no hotels and amenities nearby.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » September 23rd, 2010, 8:37 pm

PricklyPete wrote:
MoValley John wrote:Here's something interesting...Wichita State released their whole schedule and it's pretty weak...except for a game vs. Tulsa..
BUT -- there's talk among the Shocker fans who seem to know something -- that the Tulsa game is NOT going to be played in the Shockers' usual home arena...
Instead, for a reason not yet made clear, it is reportedly going to be played in the "INTRUST Bank Arena" affectionately called "IBA" by Shocker fans...
INTRUST is a 15,000 seat municipal arena in downtown Wichita, only 5-10 minutes away from the Wichita State University campus.
Wichita's usual on-campus home arena, the Charles Koch Arena (once called Levitt Arena and sometimes referred to as the Roundhouse) seats 10,500.

So Wichita is going to play in rented arena? Oh, the irony.

One game vs. eternity.

Oh yes, very ironic.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » September 23rd, 2010, 8:39 pm

LMS wrote:Not sure if that is a rule or not, but IBA got passed because it's too small and has no hotels and amenities nearby.

Too small? Uh, I don't think so. There were about 70 or so bids for sites last go around. I'd say they didn't want to accept a bid in a place that wasn't even finished in construction yet.

No hotels or amenities nearby? Really?

Just curious, where are you from? Omaha?
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » September 23rd, 2010, 8:47 pm

Des Moines. Wanna bet Wells Fargo hosts a mens NCAA basketball game before IBA?
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » September 23rd, 2010, 9:16 pm

LMS wrote:Not sure if that is a rule or not, but IBA got passed because it's too small and has no hotels and amenities nearby.

LOL that is not true. They even said it met all the requirements. The freaking building and parking lots weren't even done when they took the tour. It was also said that after the building was finished and there was evidence that it would be a good venue for a basketball game (hence the Shockers playing there) that it would definately be considered.

Nice try though.

Also, I thought someone had said that one reason for Wichita State to play a game there each year is so they can say they are the hosts of the tournament. That I'm not sure about though, I could be wrong. Can someone say if this is true?
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » September 23rd, 2010, 9:25 pm

LMS wrote:Des Moines. Wanna bet Wells Fargo hosts a mens NCAA basketball game before IBA?

The great Wells Fargo has been open 5 years longer than IBA and still no NCAA's? What's up with that? Sure, I'll go along with your little bet.

I love how this topic has veered off course. Absolutely love it.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » September 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm

Wow. I didn't mean for this to happen, I just wanted to highlight a few tornadoisms. Sorry.

As for who will host first, I'd say it's a draw.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball