Preseason MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Preseason MVC POY

Postby Ali » August 30th, 2010, 3:42 pm

I'll take Ahelegbe, followed by Maniscalco and Lawson.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Preseason MVC POY

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Preseason MVC POY

Postby valleychamp » August 30th, 2010, 4:33 pm

I would bet that Ahelegbe will be the preseason POY. But I don't see him winning it unless UNI wins the league again, because he probably wont have the eye popping stats.

If WSU wins the leauge, I would supsect a guy like Murry could end up winning it.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby OkoboJay » August 30th, 2010, 4:42 pm

I think Maniscalco will put up numbers that would warrant POY, but I don't know if Bradley will do well enough for him to be considered. He's my preseason pick though.

1st Team All-Conference (there's a tie somewhere in there)
- Sam Maniscalco
- Toure Murry
- Kwadzo Ahelegbe
- Colt Ryan
- Kyle Weems
- Kenny Lawson Jr.

The Shockers could have a few other guys step up, but I'm thinking they will have a balanced attack similar to UNI last year, and thus individual accolades may be harder to come by.

I'm tempted to throw Jake Kelly on the list, and of course the homer in me thinks Echenique could have a shot at POY.

Question for UNI fans: Is O'Rear looking to start this season? It would be nice to see someone else have a shot at 6th-man of the year :)
OkoboJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby valleychamp » August 30th, 2010, 4:45 pm

There is no way that Colt Ryan will be first team MVC.

Question for UNI fans: Is O'Rear looking to start this season? It would be nice to see someone else have a shot at 6th-man of the year

I think the general feeling is that he probably will start, but there is still the possibility that he could retain his role as that spark off of the bench. Chip Rank, our true freshman post player, is suspected to fill the roll opposite of O'Rear.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » August 30th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Do we even have to discuss this? Echenique will be POY....DUH! ;)

I'm just messin! Who knows, maybe he will. Stranger things have happened.

I will just say POY will be the overall best player on the #1 team. Seems that is the way it USUALLY happens anyway.

But for pre-season I will go with.....

heck I don't even know LOL. I even tried looking at last year's stats to see who might get picked but it's tough. Some of the top returning scorers/fg%...etc are on teams that many are expecting to be middle of the pack or worse. I just don't see any of them getting picked.

I'll just say it's Maniscalco/Weems/Murry. Take your pick. (I put Weems in the list because I really think they will be picked in the top 3-4 pre-season and will challenge for the title next year)
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LJay » August 30th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Maniscalco is my best senior (he lights up the Jays at least) so I'll say him for preseason POY.

I'll go with Echineque as NOY. He certainly has the gaudiest credentials (query: is he eligible only playing 2/3 of the season? Probably since he will play the entire conference season.).

FOY I just don't know as I don't know who has the gaudiest frosh...doesn't Drake have a stud from Chicago? I'll go with what's-his-name.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » August 30th, 2010, 6:53 pm

LJay wrote:Maniscalco is my best senior (he lights up the Jays at least) so I'll say him for preseason POY.

I'll go with Echineque as NOY. He certainly has the gaudiest credentials (query: is he eligible only playing 2/3 of the season? Probably since he will play the entire conference season.).

FOY I just don't know as I don't know who has the gaudiest frosh...doesn't Drake have a stud from Chicago? I'll go with what's-his-name.

Not from Chicago, but Rayvonte Rice from Champaign, IL was the Gatorade player of the year in Illinois and finished 2nd in voting for Illinois Mr Basketball. Guy doesn't look like any basketball player I've seen in the MVC.....6-4, weighed about 250 when he arrived on campus, but less than 10% body fat. He's easily #1 on Drake's team in every weightlifting category. Very athletic and can shoot the 3 real well. When we saw him play in summer league, a buddy of mine said it looked like he was wearing a Batman suit.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hot nuts » August 30th, 2010, 7:04 pm

I'll go with Ahelegbe. He's pretty freakin' good and the Panthers aren't gonna drop off THAT much.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » August 30th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Red wrote:Has there ever been an MVC Andre Dawson? A POY from a last or near last place team?

Curt Smith for Drake was POY in 1992-93, and Drake was somewhere in the lower half of the standings.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby valleychamp » August 30th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Jason Daisy won POY for UNI in '97 with a mid pack team.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball