Is bowling a sport?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 31

Re: Bowling vs Soccer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 20th, 2011, 7:13 am

It just doesn't appear that the soccer haters can make a reasonable argument without using anti gay slurs or other homophobic rhetoric. I can't help it if the game is too smart for you all to comprehend and enjoy. I would welcome a counter argument without the use of unfortunate language or slurring though.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ferd Berfel » July 20th, 2011, 8:03 am

I can't help it if the game is too smart for you all to comprehend and enjoy

HA!, that is rich!

Kick the goat bladder and jog about four miles, kick it again and jog some more.

If you ever get it in the goal, which is pretty unlikely, run like your life depended on it, slide on your knees and get ready to be mobbed by a bunch morons acting like they just invented the wheel.

Yea, I guess I am just to dumb to understand the complexity of the game.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 20th, 2011, 9:17 am

Ferd Berfel wrote:
I can't help it if the game is too smart for you all to comprehend and enjoy

HA!, that is rich!

Kick the goat bladder and jog about four miles, kick it again and jog some more.

If you ever get it in the goal, which is pretty unlikely, run like your life depended on it, slide on your knees and get ready to be mobbed by a bunch morons acting like they just invented the wheel.

Yea, I guess I am just to dumb to understand the complexity of the game.

Baseball is just as boring with the time taken to adjust one's self in the batter's box and all of the warm up time between every half inning. In soccer there is continuous action. I really can't help it if the sport of soccer is not popular amongst those in Wichita. It is very popular in this country on the coasts and amongst those who have knowledge and wealth.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » July 20th, 2011, 10:41 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote: Baseball is just as boring

Commie!!

It is very popular in this country on the coasts and amongst those who have knowledge and wealth.

Please cite your reference for this. I believe that is pure speculation on your part and since your football fiasco I think you need to provide some substantiation any of your opinions with some alternative sources that would indicate your opinion has any relevancy to the discussion and should be considered. Otherwise we shall just have to ignore you out of hand - unless of course SWMO joins conference USA next week (or are they on the 2 year plan)?

BTW, does Conference USA actually play soccer or do they only play American sports?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 20th, 2011, 11:18 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote: Baseball is just as boring

Commie!!

It is very popular in this country on the coasts and amongst those who have knowledge and wealth.

Please cite your reference for this. I believe that is pure speculation on your part and since your football fiasco I think you need to provide some substantiation any of your opinions with some alternative sources that would indicate your opinion has any relevancy to the discussion and should be considered. Otherwise we shall just have to ignore you out of hand - unless of course SWMO joins conference USA next week (or are they on the 2 year plan)?

BTW, does Conference USA actually play soccer or do they only play American sports?

I have no data to back it up per se, but I have little doubt that it is true. I'm sure I could find some sort of survey or numbers to back my argument but you could just as easily find statistics to counter.

Having to resort to the Conference USA stuff to sort of poke at me is amusing. It is completely irrelevant in this conversation.

Conference USA has both men's and women's soccer. And they have some terrific programs there too.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ferd Berfel » July 20th, 2011, 2:32 pm

In soccer there is continuous action. I really can't help it if the sport of soccer is not popular amongst those in Wichita. It is very popular in this country on the coasts and amongst those who have knowledge and wealth.

Continuous action?

Yea right, kick the pig bladder and jog around, 90% of the people on the field are not involved in most of the plays and stand around doing nothing.

I really don't know how popular it is in Wichita why would I know?

I have heard ever since Kyle Rote Jr. back in the late 60's and early 70's that soccer was going to sweep the USA and be the dominate sport.

Remind me again how that worked out.

The only people who watch it have a kid, brother or sister playing, no parent in their right mind wants to admit that their son or daughter plays soccer. Most parents are ashamed that their kids participate.

Of course the elite it the county would be drawn to such a gentle and cultured event, a high IQ really helps in figuring out the complexity of the action and the strategy involved, they can watch a little soccer and then get on their way to the next Obama rally.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoValley John » July 20th, 2011, 3:17 pm

First and foremost, soccer sucks. And yes, I tried hard to watch it. I threw my hands up when I saw and understood the "trapping defense" strategy. For those that are not soccer enthusiests, let me explain, a trapping defense doesn't trap the person with the ball, it's when the defense runs forward just before a ball is kicked, thus placing the receiver of the pass "offsides." Stupid, penalize aggressiveness and reward soft play...

I mean, lets not open the game up and add offense and scoring to the game, it's too exciting as it is! :roll:
There are far too many rules in soccer that neuter the game. Off sides, goalies off limits, etc. The game is slow, no wonder all the Euro's that watch the game get loaded, the soccer is just an excuse to get liquored up! And that yellow card thing just blows my mind! If a guy deserves a yellow card, pull him off for three minutes and make the team play shorthanded, that just might add to the action.

As for bowling, technically, it could be called a sport, but it is more of an activity. Any game that you perform your best while inside the ballmer peak is no sport.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 20th, 2011, 3:39 pm

MoValley John wrote:First and foremost, soccer sucks. And yes, I tried hard to watch it. I threw my hands up when I saw and understood the "trapping defense" strategy. For those that are not soccer enthusiests, let me explain, a trapping defense doesn't trap the person with the ball, it's when the defense runs forward just before a ball is kicked, thus placing the receiver of the pass "offsides." Stupid, penalize aggressiveness and reward soft play...

I mean, lets not open the game up and add offense and scoring to the game, it's too exciting as it is! :roll:
There are far too many rules in soccer that neuter the game. Off sides, goalies off limits, etc. The game is slow, no wonder all the Euro's that watch the game get loaded, the soccer is just an excuse to get liquored up! And that yellow card thing just blows my mind! If a guy deserves a yellow card, pull him off for three minutes and make the team play shorthanded, that just might add to the action.

As for bowling, technically, it could be called a sport, but it is more of an activity. Any game that you perform your best while inside the ballmer peak is no sport.

I give you credit for this, parts of your rant were both semi lucid and cogent. The offsides rule makes sense, otherwise an opposing forward could just stand on the goal mouth at all times. It makes it so an offensive player has to make a disciplined, well timed run. Two things that should be valued. Even in hockey, they have offsides meaning that an attacking player with the puck has to enter the blue line first before other teammates. Makes sense in that sport too for similar reasons.

As for a yellow card, that is sufficient penalty by itself. It means you cannot play as reckless again or you will be off the field for good. I'm sure you would not advocate for a football team to play 11 v 10 if someone committed a personal foul so it will be as silly in the sport of soccer.

It is the most popular sport in the world. I should remind the critics that you all are the ones in the minority on this issue. It has started to take a foothold in the United States and will continue to do so. Learn to like it friends or take up another hobby because ESPN is only going to increase coverage.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » July 20th, 2011, 4:09 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Learn to like it friends or take up another hobby because ESPN is only going to increase coverage.

And, I still won't watch it. Not sure how ESPN covering more soccer will force me to take up another hobby. Please explain.

:Cheers:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MoValley John » July 20th, 2011, 4:11 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
I give you credit for this, parts of your rant were both semi lucid and cogent. The offsides rule makes sense, otherwise an opposing forward could just stand on the goal mouth at all times. It makes it so an offensive player has to make a disciplined, well timed run. Two things that should be valued. Even in hockey, they have offsides meaning that an attacking player with the puck has to enter the blue line first before other teammates. Makes sense in that sport too for similar reasons.

As for a yellow card, that is sufficient penalty by itself. It means you cannot play as reckless again or you will be off the field for good. I'm sure you would not advocate for a football team to play 11 v 10 if someone committed a personal foul so it will be as silly in the sport of soccer.

It is the most popular sport in the world. I should remind the critics that you all are the ones in the minority on this issue. It has started to take a foothold in the United States and will continue to do so. Learn to like it friends or take up another hobby because ESPN is only going to increase coverage.

The difference between the offsides in hockey and in soccer is day and night. In hockey, the blue line is at a specified place on the ice and the offensive player with the puck has to be the first across this established point (64' from the goal). Offsides in hockey has no relationship to where the defenders place themselves. In soccer, on the other hand, offsides is predicated by a point established by the defense. That is a huge difference. Hockey also has a two line pass rule and an icing rule to deter sandbagging offensive players, but at the same time, icing is waived off if the puck is determined not to be a pass and the offense can beat the defense to the puck. In soccer, offsides is simply the offense being more aggressive and assertive than the defense.

As for the yellow card, it is totally subjective, the ref must "feel" the player deserved the yellow card. And yellow cards are 99.9% issued to an overaggressive defense. There is no further penalty, except the defense gets the advantage of regrouping and the ball is placed at the spot where the infraction occured. Stupid. In football, yardage and downs are given and taken away for penalties; in hockey, you skate a player short. In other words, penalties hurt. Badly.

There is no real "penalty" for receiving a yellow card or penalty in soccer. In soccer, the ref issues a yellow card that essentially says, "Hey, buddy! Don't do that again!" And if the guy does it again and gets kicked out, the team doesn't play short, they sub a guy in and the play resumes where the penalty took place. Oh yeah, except the defense gets to regroup. Advantage to the defense.

And I have plenty of hobbies, if ESPN shows more soccer, I'll simply watch ESPN less, no biggie. :Cheers:
Last edited by MoValley John on July 20th, 2011, 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference - Other Mens Sports