Is bowling a sport?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 31

Re: Bowling vs Soccer

Postby bigdawg » June 28th, 2011, 7:17 am

Running a marathon or a race is a sport. Running around the back yard with your kids is not a sport. Even if we say PBA bowling is a sport, the other 99.99% of bowlers are not participating in a sport.

Is throwing darts a sport? Fishing? Billiards? Bridge?
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ihsi » June 28th, 2011, 7:28 am

Snaggletooth wrote:[ believe that list title is "sports/activity". That might key you on to something.

Yep, it does. Bowling is an activity, not a sport.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » June 28th, 2011, 10:57 am

ihsi wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:[ believe that list title is "sports/activity". That might key you on to something.

Yep, it does. Bowling is an activity, not a sport.

So please explain how bowling does not meet the following requirements as defined in the dictionary:

sport (spôrt, sprt)
n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » June 28th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Jarts fits that description of a sport and I don't consider that to be one either. Why are you so passionate about this? Do you have your own ball and wrist guard?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » June 28th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Red wrote:Jarts fits that description of a sport and I don't consider that to be one either. Why are you so passionate about this? Do you have your own ball and wrist guard?

Actually I can't remember the last time I went bowling. But I just find seeing the "deniers" come out kind of interesting. They have no basis except their feelings. I actually didn't realize how popular bowling really is and how inseure the soccer crowd is.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ferd Berfel » June 28th, 2011, 3:38 pm

I actually didn't realize how popular bowling really is and how inseure the soccer crowd is.

BINGO give the man a gold star, he hit it right on the head.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bigdawg » June 28th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Ferd Berfel wrote:
I actually didn't realize how popular bowling really is and how inseure the soccer crowd is.

BINGO give the man a gold star, he hit it right on the head.

what the hell are you guys talking about? Every poster here has said bowling isn't a sport and a few of us even stated that we dislike soccer. There hasn't been a single comment by anyone claiming to be a soccer fan that I can see. Just an entire board trying to tell a couple of people (FB and Snaggle) that most athletes would laugh if you tried to convince them that bowling is a sport.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 28th, 2011, 4:19 pm

I actually watched some of the college bowling that ESPN showed mostly because I rarely leave the ESPN family of networks. It was okay, the announcers made it interesting with great info about Webber International and Fresno State.

Soccer is a awesome sport. The Women's World Cup is on right now and it has been amazing so far, better that the baseball world series at least this year. And I never thought I would say that. Certainly takes a lot of getting used to some of the foreign rules they whistle and some of cultures and attitudes from some teams but I enjoy it. Definitely more of a sport than bowling. And the soccer haters baffle me but that's another story.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 28th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
bigdawg wrote:The first real sport on the list is basketball. You're counting bowling as a sport based on a list that also includes stretching as a sport.

I believe that list title is "sports/activity". That might key you on to something.

I see that Tent Camping is on that list. I can't remember whole won the gold medal in tent camping at the last Olympics, but I bet he was one athletic dude.

If bowling is a sport, lawn bowling is a sport. And guess what --- neither is a sport.

I used to like the definition Jim Rome used for evaluating whether something is a sport or not --- If you get better at it as you drink more and more, it isn't a sport. That essentially eliminates bowling, lawn bowling, dart throwing, fishing and yes, tent camping.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » June 28th, 2011, 4:42 pm

bigdawg wrote:what the hell are you guys talking about?

:Yea!: :Yea!:
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference - Other Mens Sports