unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

AVCA Preseason Volleyball Poll

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: AVCA Preseason Volleyball Poll

Postby pawball » August 23rd, 2011, 7:33 am

Valley looks to be very strong again this year, which was probably the strongest overall from top to finish the conference has ever experienced. Last year 4 teams made it in to NCAA's. Could do the same this year with so many having so much back.

Got to see Bears in their Maroon-White scrim last Friday, liked what I saw. Think they have excellent shot at pushing for being in the Top 3 (were preseason picked 4th). First matches are just 3 days away with Jays @ A&M and Arizona @ Wichita featured on Friday.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » August 29th, 2011, 10:43 pm

While it is good for the Valley, I am continually amazed at the amount of love that UNI gets nationally. I saw that they are still #14 in the second week of the poll. They'll win enough to stay top 25...but #14? Seriously? Remember their AVCA ranking and their incredibly high seed in the NCAA Tournament last year? How did that end again? One and done.

UNI is good don't misunderstand me but they are perpetually overrated and overseeded. Good for the conference I suppose, but embarassing when they flame out early.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby strike00 » August 30th, 2011, 12:18 am

perpetually overrated? The only time they haven't lived up to expectations was last year. since 1999 UNI has had 3 sweet sixteen appearances (only school in MVC history to have any, BTW) and they have 10 NCAA wins. Most of the time performing above expectations, in fact Bobbi was national coach of the year on year, those usually aren't handed out to coaches who's team doesn't live up to expectations. One bad match and all of a sudden UNI is perpetually overrated? It's been UNI (and WSU a bit lately) that has given this conference any kind of credibility on the national stage at all.

that rant being over with, was UNI too highly ranked last year? yes. they should have been around 15. The problem was, they just wouldn't lose and the tendency of polls is to move teams who don't lose up above teams who do. UNI brought their "B" game and got beat. It certainly doesn't happen all the time like you make it sound.

are they ranked to high now? Yes, IMO. They should be around #20-23. A couple of things need to get better before UNI rises up to the next level this year. From what I hear, AVCA pollsters don't change the preseason polls much from the final poll of the previous year. Polls this early are a joke and things even themselves out over the next few weeks.
strike00
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby panther-state » August 30th, 2011, 12:45 am

Actually LOOK at the poll Casey. As strike mentioned, teams rarely move from where they ended the previous season (significantly that is). I think the biggest move is ISU from #25 to #18 and then Okie from #21 to #16. Other than that no one really rose or dropped more than a spot or two and with the consistency UNI has had as a program and the fact that the conferences' best player is back (along with a lot of other talent), they deserve to be given respect. #14 is too high at the moment but it wouldn't surprise me if Bobbi gets that team to really mesh and they run off like a bandit with this conference
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Return to Missouri Valley Conference - Womens Sports