Illinois State - 6-2
Bradley - 4-2
Missouri State - 4-3
Indiana State - 4-3
Southern Illinois - 3-2
Wichita State - 3-3
Drake - 2-4
Creighton - 2-6

that's a 42-27 record. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any marquee wins for any of the conference teams. UNI has some decent wins, such as over #24 Florida State, and some of the other traditionally powerful conference teams have scheduled some formidable opponents, but came up short.

Of course it could be that some of the teams are still developing team chemistry and whatnot, and will gel and strengthen as the season progresses, I don't know.

UNI has a pretty challenging week set for them this next week, taking on #6 Minnesota on Sat. night, and #17 Iowa State on Tuesday night (as well as Kansas and Saint Louis). If they aren't able to make a good showing against those teams, people might start looking at this as somewhat of a "down year" for the conference.
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

MVC volleyball 2011

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC volleyball 2011

Postby MVCfans » September 9th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Great win tonight for UNI over Kansas, overcoming a 2-0 deficit to win in 5 sets.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby JayJ79 » September 9th, 2011, 9:30 pm

UNI SHOULD beat Kansas, especially at home. They made way too much work for themselves with the way they played in the first two sets. Definitely have to improve if they want a chance at beating Minnesota tommorrow night, and Saint Louis is no pushover either.

Wichita State represented the MVC well tonight, winning at #14 Colorado State in 4. Something that even Nebraska failed to do.
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby panther-state » September 9th, 2011, 10:20 pm

I hope UNI plays like they did in the last 2 sets against Minny. Only 8 pts allowed in that 4th set. They were unstoppable once they FINALLY capped KU's outside hitting. #15 and #4 were killing us :D :D :D :D get it? Volleyball humor..... :? :( :cry:
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MVCfans » September 10th, 2011, 7:38 am

Impressive win for Wichita State over #14 Colorado State as well:

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - Wichita State used 18 kills from Emily Adney and 17 kills from Camri Zwiesler to knock off No. 14 Colorado State, 3-1. The Shockers (4-3) won by scores of 28-26, 19-25, 25-20 and 25-22.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » September 10th, 2011, 9:35 am

I fear that UNI may be a tad overrated at this point, as they have struggled to win a few games, but to their credit they have been able to find a way to win every one of them. I think UNI is a top 25 team, and they already have some good wins, but I don't know what their chances are against teams like Minnesota and Iowa State. Luckily both those games are at home. I'd be extremely happy to win one of those games.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » September 10th, 2011, 11:40 pm

I'm impressed with how many 5 setters UNI has won this year against quality teams, Minnesota discounted. Wichita won @ Colorado St, then lost to Northern Colorado, so feel sketchier about Shocks than Panthers at this point. Jays finally won a match against a quality team, St Mary's. Bears have had their chances but haven't won a big one yet.

Overall, Valley powerpoint is down compared to last year....most everyone riding the coattails of UNI, except, maybe, WSU.

Think UNI can be taken and not much diff between WSU, CU and MSU, pretty much like the pre-season poll suggested.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » September 13th, 2011, 8:20 pm

#15 UNI sweeps #12 Iowa State 3-0 tonight in Cedar Falls, in front of an impressive McLeod Center crowd of 6,500.

It was good for UNI to split games with Minnesota and Iowa State, IMO. Losing in 5 sets to Minn and sweeping ISU. Really successful non-con season for UNI.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » September 13th, 2011, 8:25 pm

valleychamp wrote:#15 UNI sweeps #12 Iowa State 3-0 tonight in Cedar Falls, in front of an impressive McLeod Center crowd of 6,500.

It was good for UNI to split games with Minnesota and Iowa State, IMO. Losing in 5 sets to Minn and sweeping ISU. Really successful non-con season for UNI.

Impressive win tonight.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby JayJ79 » September 13th, 2011, 8:31 pm

minnesota's offense seemed to be really clicking saturday night, which led to many strong attacks that UNI struggled with.

ISU rarely seemed to be able to get it in gear much tonight, which lead to UNI rolling.
Of course alot of that could be attributed to UNI's tough serving and offensive strategy of their own, which kept ISU out of system
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference - Womens Sports