MVC conference volleyball race

Discuss womens hoops, soccer, volleyball

Postby JayJ79 » November 6th, 2010, 8:55 pm

I keep a spreadsheet for the MVC volleyball standings (including a running calculation of the "power ranking" tiebreaker). Figured I'd copy it over here, you know, just in case the 1 or 2 people that read the volleyball posts here might be interested. :lol:

through all matches played on 11/6/10
Code: Select all
#   Team   CW-CL   MVC games left       PF

1   *UNI   14-0   INS,ILS,@WSU,@MSU   (1-2)
2   *WSU   11-3   @UE,@SIU,UNI,BU     (1-4)
3   *CU   10-5   DU,UE,SIU            (2-5)
4   MSU   9-5   @SIU,@UE,BU,UNI     (2-8)
5   ILS   7-8   @BU,@UNI,INS       (4-8)
6   DU   7-8   @CU,SIU,UE          (3-8)
t7   UE   5-9   WSU,MSU,@CU,@DU    (4-10)
t7   SIU   5-9   MSU,WSU,@DU,@CU     (4-9)
9   #INS   3-12   @UNI,@BU,@ILS        (7-10)
10   #BU   1-13   ILS,INS,@MSU,@WSU   (8-10)

PF = potential finish (example: ILS has a mathematical chance to finish anywhere from 4th place to 8th place)
* = team has clinched a spot in the 6-team conference tourney
# = team is eliminated from qualifying for the tourney
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC conference volleyball race

Postby pawball » November 6th, 2010, 11:14 pm

The Top 6 listed will be the Top 6 end of regular conference play, unless Drake and IlST implode, which I don't see happening since both of them are improving and Evansville and SIU haven't shown a sign of progressing recently.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby JayJ79 » November 7th, 2010, 6:16 am

pawball wrote:The Top 6 listed will be the Top 6 end of regular conference play, unless Drake and IlST implode, which I don't see happening since both of them are improving and Evansville and SIU haven't shown a sign of progressing recently.

I agree. Especially since the teams tied for 7th (UE and SIU) still have to play WSU, MSU, and Creighton.
But, they are still in contention mathematically (if not practically)
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby JayJ79 » November 14th, 2010, 11:44 am

Still have a week left in the regular season, but I thought I'd do a rundown of how the conference tourney is set up, as well as how the teams are shaping up seed-wise.

UNI will be hosting the 2010 MVC conference tournament in the McLeod Center here in CF. The top 6 teams in the conference qualify for the tournament, with participants and seeding being determined by the double round-robin conference play from the regular season. Tiebreakers between teams that finish with the same W/L record in conference are determined by: 1) head-to-head (or the results of h2h play amongst all tied teams if there are more than 2). 2) power ranking (20 pts for road win against #1 team, 19 pts for home win against #1, 18 for road win against #2, 17 for home win against #2, and so on). 3) latest RPI ranking

The top 2 seeds are awarded a bye out of the quarterfinal round, which is played on Thursday 11/25 with matches (#3 vs #6, #4 vs #5) at 6 pm and 8 pm, though I'm not sure which match is played first.

The semifinal round takes place on Friday 11/26 at 5 pm and 7 pm. The #1 seed plays the winner of the #4/#5 qf match, and the #2 seed plays the winner of the #3/#6 qf match (again, not sure which match is played first).

The championship round is played on Saturday 11/27 at 3:37 pm, with the match being televised (though I'm not sure which channel yet).

As for the likely seeding:
  • #1 UNI 16-0: Panthers have clinched their second straight regular season title and the #1 seed (remaining matches: @WSU, @MSU)
  • #2 WSU 13-3: Shockers wrap up #2 with their next win. They could finish as low as 4th, but that isn't likely (remaining matches: UNI, Bradley)
  • #3/#4 Creighton or MSU 11-5: Jays and Bears and neck-and-neck, and they split their head-to-head matches, so it all comes down to next weekend. Both have an outside chance of moving up to #2, but it is highly unlikely for either of them. My guess is that CU wins out, while MSU is defeated by UNI, which would give Creighton the #3 seed. (remaining matches: CU - UE, SIU; MSU - BU, UNI)
  • #5/#6 Drake 7-9 or ILS 7-10: Bulldogs currently have a half-game lead, but the Redbirds won both of the h2h matches so ILS would hold the tiebreak. I have no guesses how this one will play out. (remaining matches: DU - SIU, UE; ILS - INS)
  • Evansville and SIU 5-11: mathematically still have a chance to sneak into 6th place, but not really much of a chance of that. (remaining matches: both play @CU and @DU)
  • Bradley 3-13 and INS 3-14: both teams have been eliminated from contention. though it is nice to see Bradley pick up some wins in conference after suffering a 31-match MVC losing streak. (remaining matches: BU - @MSU, @WSU; INS - @ILS)
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pawball » November 14th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Thanks for the rundown on how things look heading into final weekend. Excellento!
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby JayJ79 » November 14th, 2010, 12:20 pm

pawball wrote:Thanks for the rundown on how things look heading into final weekend. Excellento!

something I put together for PantherNation, so I thought I'd repost it here.

And on an MSU note, I certainly don't consider a UNI win in Springfield to be any sort of "lock". The Panthers will have to play on top of their game to pull out a win down there. My prediction was really just a guess, as I feel there is also a good chance of both CU and MSU winning out, in which case it will come down to the "power ranking", in which case the Bears would take #3 due to their win over UNI. (also, there is always a chance of UE and/or SIU beating CU, but I really doubt that)
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockalot » November 14th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Nice post Jayj. One thing the Bears have going for them besides home court against UNI is that the Panthers have to play at Wichita the night before. That should be an excellent match which even if UNI should win might take some steam out of them. Or if WSU should manage to put a loss on them, could provide MSU with further confidence.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pawball » November 18th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Or it could re-motivate the Panthers to some out extra strong against MSU. Let's face it: this year's UNI is perhaps the strongest VB team this conference has ever had. I agree that the Shocks could take some steam out of UNI and make them more beatable against the Bears; but, Shocker fans, if I'm UNI, I still take it one game at a time, and WSU is my focus. Should be a great match Friday in Wichita.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WuDrWu » November 19th, 2010, 11:45 pm

It was a great match. WSU played their best match of the season (imho) and still lost. UNI is great and that's why they are champions.

I hope they get a fair draw in the tourney because play like that can take them a long, long way.

I don't think there are 10 teams in the country that MIGHT have beaten UNI (or WSU for that matter) tonight.

Good luck the rest of the way. On a sour note, WSU senior middle Sarah McGee left the game with a injury late in the match......fearing the worst and praying for the best.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby unipanther99 » November 20th, 2010, 9:18 am

Nice comments WuDrWu. I really feel this might be UNI's year, if they get the right draw. WSU also has an outstanding team and deserves to be rewarded this year. I hope the committee is paying attention this year.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference - Womens Sports