MVC Women's Basketball 2013-14 +

Discuss womens hoops, soccer, volleyball

Postby pawball » December 30th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Although Shocks are in top 50 in most rating systems, The Valley is as weak as I have ever seen it in the 25 years I've followed Lady Bears (I know, I know) basketball. I think there are 4 quality teams in the conference: Shocks, Sycs, Lady Bears, and Bulldogs. Almost everyone else sucks (that's why the conference is at an all-time low in POWER at #20!!!

A thot......what has VOLLEYBALL emergence done to hurting BASKETBALL growth and enthusiam in the women's world of college basketballin the past 10+years? Would be interesting to have a conversation on this.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC Women's Basketball 2013-14 +

Postby 1972Shocker » January 7th, 2014, 6:33 pm

I was talking about that with a friend of mine last Sunday at the WSU-UNI men's basketball game.

Our incoming VB class has a 6-5, 6-4 and 6-2 player and the roster includes 3 underclassmen listed at 6-3 and 3 more at 6-2. If all return (perhaps an unlikely scenario) that would give us 9 players on the VB roster listed at 6-2 or better.

OTOH we really struggle to recruit any quality size to our women's basketball team. We have only 2 players on our WBB roster taller than 6-0. Kelsey Jacobs is 6-2 but she is not an inside banger in any way, shape or form. Michelle Price at 6-1 is a banger and our only true inside player.

We have a 6-4 juco player coming in next year but in looking at her stats she sounds like a big-time project and certainly not an impact player at this point in time.

Whether one has to do with the other I'm not sure although most of these young ladies play both sports in high school. Makes you wonder if the physicality of basketball isn't pushing more young ladies to pursue VB as an option in college. Seems like a lot more knee injuries on the basketball court as well.
1972Shocker
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference - Womens Sports