LADY BEARS TO SWEET 16

Discuss womens hoops, soccer, volleyball

LADY BEARS TO SWEET 16

Postby BEARZ77 » March 25th, 2019, 9:51 pm

The MSU LB's are heading to the Sweet 16 having beaten #13 ranked Iowa State on their home court at Hilton. That was the 3rd straight win over a ranked team for the LB's who after a 1-7 start to the season have gone 24-2 since with a team playing with 1 senior, 1 junior, and 11 sophmore/ freshmen. Congrats to Coach Kellie Harper, her staff, and a great group of young ladies.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

LADY BEARS TO SWEET 16

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: LADY BEARS TO SWEET 16

Postby Sir Sci » March 26th, 2019, 8:42 am

I'm so hyped from last night. The thing that's amazing about this team is how they've consistently improved over the course of the season. My biggest concern now is keeping Coach Harper at Missouri State!

Next up we have a #2 seeded Stanford, so it won't be easy to keep this rolling... but Iowa State wasn't easy either. GO LADY BEARS!
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 83Ace » March 26th, 2019, 7:53 pm

I was at the game. As a Cyclone fan it was a tough loss. ISU couldn’t shoot - they were 2 for 17 on 3’s and many were good shots. But I have to say I was very impressed with MO State. I knew it would be a tough game, but what really impressed me was their poise. The crowd was very loud and it could have been an intimidating atmosphere. But every time ISU got within a point or two and it looked like they were finally going to take charge, the Bears answered and kept the crowd from just exploding. Whenever they really needed a bucket or a stop, they got it. They showed real toughness. After the game there has been some speculation that Coach Fennelly might retire, and sure enough, more than one person has said, “We should get that Missouri State coach.” Good luck against Stanford - they can be beat!
83Ace
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby BEARZ77 » March 27th, 2019, 6:39 am

83Ace wrote:I was at the game. As a Cyclone fan it was a tough loss. ISU couldn’t shoot - they were 2 for 17 on 3’s and many were good shots. But I have to say I was very impressed with MO State. I knew it would be a tough game, but what really impressed me was their poise. The crowd was very loud and it could have been an intimidating atmosphere. But every time ISU got within a point or two and it looked like they were finally going to take charge, the Bears answered and kept the crowd from just exploding. Whenever they really needed a bucket or a stop, they got it. They showed real toughness. After the game there has been some speculation that Coach Fennelly might retire, and sure enough, more than one person has said, “We should get that Missouri State coach.” Good luck against Stanford - they can be beat!

That this team got better and better is both the mark of Coach Harper's coaching style most years and the fact we play 10-11 players nightly all year. That they were able to do so and as you noted showed such poise under fire in Ames is remarkable given the roster is 1 senior, 1 junior, and 11 sophmores and freshmen.

I'm not sure many p-5 offers would lure Kellie given what she has returning and the fact she has been thru that meat grinder at NC St. But two jobs that could come open in her home state , Vandy and her alma mater at Tennessee , might prove too tempting if offered, Tennessee especially , despite the huge expectations and pressure that would accompany it.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Sir Sci » March 27th, 2019, 8:18 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
83Ace wrote:I was at the game. As a Cyclone fan it was a tough loss. ISU couldn’t shoot - they were 2 for 17 on 3’s and many were good shots. But I have to say I was very impressed with MO State. I knew it would be a tough game, but what really impressed me was their poise. The crowd was very loud and it could have been an intimidating atmosphere. But every time ISU got within a point or two and it looked like they were finally going to take charge, the Bears answered and kept the crowd from just exploding. Whenever they really needed a bucket or a stop, they got it. They showed real toughness. After the game there has been some speculation that Coach Fennelly might retire, and sure enough, more than one person has said, “We should get that Missouri State coach.” Good luck against Stanford - they can be beat!

That this team got better and better is both the mark of Coach Harper's coaching style most years and the fact we play 10-11 players nightly all year. That they were able to do so and as you noted showed such poise under fire in Ames is remarkable given the roster is 1 senior, 1 junior, and 11 sophmores and freshmen.

I'm not sure many p-5 offers would lure Kellie given what she has returning and the fact she has been thru that meat grinder at NC St. But two jobs that could come open in her home state , Vandy and her alma mater at Tennessee , might prove too tempting if offered, Tennessee especially , despite the huge expectations and pressure that would accompany it.

Agreed. I could see Harper being lured back to her home state by a major program, but I don't think she's going to jump ship on a team she has in a perfect position to get even better over the next few seasons for just some random P5 program.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » April 1st, 2019, 8:17 pm

Lady Bears lose in the sweet 16. Really nice run for a team with mostly freshmen and sophomores.

Now we'll see if we can keep Kellie Harper.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference - Womens Sports