Favorite MoVal Campus (other than your own)

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Postby Veritas » June 26th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Which campuses have you visited?
Which is your favorite?

I've only visited Drake and MSU.
MSU looks very nice. Drake did not make a positive impression (though it was winter)

Want to see IlSU and LUC
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Favorite MoVal Campus (other than your own)

Postby Veritas » September 4th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Wichita State's Innovation Campus seems to be booming
http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/stories/index.asp?tag=101

Not sure if it will take 20 years for the build out.
New hotel coming to campus for you folks headed to Wichita for athletics.

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/stories/story.asp?si=3294
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » September 12th, 2016, 8:45 am

I'm not sure it'll take 20 either. I get the sense that Braeburn Square will explode with development within the next year or so. I know Bardo has received a lot of feedback into what students/alumni want to see on campus there and I believe I've heard that they've started contracting with a few so we should start hearing about what businesses will join that development.

I also believe that the new Business building is supposed to start within the next year and I believe another partnership building is supposed to go up within that time frame as well. Plus the new apartment complex near Eck that I think I heard phase one should be done before the '17 school year.

That still leaves a lot of land to develop, but things are moving and I'd expect the 2nd student center to start within the next 3 years. As well as a 2nd parking garage and possible another dorm.

As to your first post, I've only been to MSU and it seems fine.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TSmithBJJ » February 5th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Southern Illinois' campus is huge!
BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA.... (and MVC basketball).
TSmithBJJ
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Sir Sci » March 23rd, 2018, 9:26 am

I'd been to WSU before they left, and I've been on UNI's campus, but only one or two buildings so I probably didn't get a comprehensive view of the place. I liked what I saw at UNI, though.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby GoSIU88 » June 4th, 2018, 7:14 am

Loyola is nice, pretty safe neighborhood. Big campus lake (Michigan).
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby GoSIU88 » July 12th, 2018, 11:07 am

Just a run down of the schools I've been to...

Evansville is nice, but really small. Take away the big lawn in front and the whole thing (except the athletic complex) would fit in the old quad in Carbondale.

Indiana State - Terre Haute....I used to think it was incredibly ugly. Nothing but a concrete jungle. They've made improvements and the downtown area has improved. I like it there now, although the football stadium being over 2 miles away is a huge downer.

Illinois State. Concrete jungle...bad layout, buildings are ugly. The downtown area, near the train station, is nice.

Bradley nothing really stands out but the older buildings on campus have been well-maintained and/or renovated.

Loyola - the campus is nice but it's a weird configuration with the lake on one side and Sheridan Drive and the red line El meandering on the west.

Mo State...campus is flat as a pancake just south of the downtown area. Most of he buildings seem newer and there's a good layout of buildings, but it doesn't really have a focal point. There's a big fountain on campus that seems to get a lot of attention.

Northern Iowa - seems to have clusters of buildings and then an adjacent open space. Doesn't seem very cohesive. Dome and McLeod Center are on the west side of campus. Neither is much to look at to be honest.

Never been to Valpo or Drake, so can't comment. Never went to Wichita either. I have been to Creighton and it's very....urban. Not very nice, to be honest.

I know it goes without saying, but I'm biased toward Carbondale. The president who built the majority of buildings after World War II was obsessed with the layout of campus and even did an inventory of the trees on campus. Thompson Woods in the middle of campus and the lake are pretty impressive. It's particularly beautiful in the fall.
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Return to Off topic