Thin skinned posters need to lighten up

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Re: Thin skinned posters need to lighten up

Postby LMS » January 11th, 2012, 1:07 pm

glm38 wrote:
ShockValue wrote:I'm with glm that there are a couple of snipers who the mods could better control but theres still just a fraction of the antagonism that existed before. And I disagree with jwa in that I do think most people can separate a dumb comment from a dumb person.

Good follow up post.

Just for the record I think the administrator and moderators of the board do a pretty good job. Really better than any sports type forum that I've been a part of.

:+1:
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » January 12th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Nobody will be completely happy with any board. Everyone has a different perception of what is appropriate. The mods are put in a very difficult position because they can't make everyone happy, and at the same time, it is impossible to be happy all of the time. Sometimes you need a little thicker skin and other times you need to simply hit the triangle. At the same time, I see some of the posters that claim to wish this site be sanitized, are the same posters that I would be most likely to hit the triangle. The holier than thous that actually post some pretty controversial stuff.

I would hope that this site remains civil, but when a poster does post something that is "stupid" that the post be questioned. and no, I don't find anything wrong with calling an idea stupid. Some of the world's smartest men have made stupid statements, calling out the statement as stupid is not the same as calling the man stupid.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 16th, 2012, 5:48 pm

Holy cow, I just saw this thread....

The irony of an Aces fan complaining is that there is a certain Aces mod who makes a great deal of personal attacks himself!

To the extent there was any ambiguity, my intent was to call the comment stupid (or paranoid), not the poster. Frankly, I stick by the comment. And, for future reference, any future comments along the lines of referees having a specific bias against a particular school I call "stupid" too.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » January 17th, 2012, 7:43 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Holy cow, I just saw this thread....

The irony of an Aces fan complaining is that there is a certain Aces mod who makes a great deal of personal attacks himself!

Stupid comment.

How is that irony? I think one thing that some posters don't quite grasp is that people from the same fan base don't necessarily have the same view points on things. I'm sure there are some other Creighton fans on this site that you would prefer not to be associated with.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 17th, 2012, 9:40 am

havoc wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Holy cow, I just saw this thread....

Stupid comment.

How is that irony? I think one thing that some posters don't quite grasp is that people from the same fan base don't necessarily have the same view points on things. I'm sure there are some other Creighton fans on this site that you would prefer not to be associated with.

It is ironic because if the poster was so concerned about decorum, he should call out the particular mod's behavior as well instead of whining to the same mods about being protected from big meanie posters that think his comments are over the top crazy.

I don't know what has happened to make certain fanbases so soft. Back in the days when CU and SIU were competing against each other for regular season and tourney titles, the two fanbases ran smack at each other all the time. I remember aggressive chants back and forth between the fanbases in St Louis, etc. It enhanced the rivalry and even made it a bit more fun.

Perhaps the societal PC trend has finally impacted the MVC. Now, if you mock a goofy little dance done by another fanbase in STL, instead of coming back with a creative retort, the "mockees" whine and get upset. If you call out a post that states that the refs will screw over a particular team if they don't have at least ten point lead with two minutes left, you get whining and complaining. Sadly, it appears as though the softening of America has even impacted fandom. Maybe we should do away with the winners and losers and just give everybody the participation trophies they seemingly covet so badly.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Off topic