Thin skinned posters need to lighten up

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Postby ShockValue » January 10th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Why do some people bitch and moan about the way they or their school is treated? Someone just posted that he was offended because someone called him "paranoid or stupid". Really? This is a message board people, grow up. I'm not trying to pick on this one poster but it sort if set me off. It seems like the ones who complain are the same ones to post ridiculous BS and then go crying on their school board about how unfair and biased people are here. I know someone on SN was mad about being overmoderated but isn't that the job of the moderator?

You guys must not remember what Valley Talk was and how much better this site is than that ever was. Thanks to all the really good posters who make this site a pleasure to read.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Thin skinned posters need to lighten up

Postby xsaluki » January 10th, 2012, 4:45 pm

You tell people to lighten about being called stupid (per the message board rules a personal attack).
... but then you talk about how it is great that this board is moderated tightly.

I don't have a horse in this race, and I am a bit stupid... so that is probably where I am missing the point.

:huh:
xsaluki
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ShockValue » January 10th, 2012, 5:06 pm

My point was that he wasn't called stupid, just his logic was. If the mods think it was offensive they'll handle it. I'd rather have a board without some of the troublemakers but all things considered I'm not sure that qualified. Maybe I spoke out of turn. I'll let it go.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » January 10th, 2012, 5:08 pm

ShockValue wrote:My point was that he wasn't called stupid, just his logic was. If the mods think it was offensive they'll handle it. I'd rather have a board without some of the troublemakers but all things considered I'm not sure that qualified. Maybe I spoke out of turn. I'll let it go.

I can't speak for the other moderators, but my take on it was similar to ShockValue's. He (DJA) called the thought stupid, as opposed to directly calling the poster stupid. It's a very fine line, but sometimes it's how you word it. I didn't consider it an ad hominem attack, but rather a refuting of the OP's thought about getting screwed over by the refs. I will be interested to see what the other mods think.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glm38 » January 10th, 2012, 5:09 pm

I totally disagree with the original poster. I don't have a problem with disagreements on the board between opposing fans and fan bases. That's only natural. Some good natured heckling or teasing type comments are fine too.

But calling someone a name? And several posters on here (really just a couple) use hit and run type tactics and say things just to inflame opposing fans and fanbases. Both of those things are pretty juvenile and disrespectful. To me those are the ones that need to "grow up".
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » January 10th, 2012, 5:44 pm

I guess I am stupid because I really don't see much difference in calling someone stupid or that their thoughts are stupid. Either one is an insult to that person.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ShockValue » January 10th, 2012, 6:06 pm

I'm with glm that there are a couple of snipers who the mods could better control but theres still just a fraction of the antagonism that existed before. And I disagree with jwa in that I do think most people can separate a dumb comment from a dumb person.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » January 10th, 2012, 6:26 pm

I think that any person that can not tell the difference between being called an idiot and having idiotic (illogical or unjustified) thoughts, is, well, an idiot. ;)
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » January 10th, 2012, 7:32 pm

First of all, I'm going to move this to off topic. I hope that is okay with everyone.

As DUb indicated, I didn't see the comment in question as being that offensive. Like anything, I also understand how two reasonable people can view the same thing differently.

I'd like to offer my thoughts on some things and this is as good a place as any. A couple of times a week I am PM'd by a user due to something he/she found offensive or in violation of the rules. I encourage you to do this by clicking the exclamation point inside the triangle located at the top right of each post. This will send a "report" to the mods to view what you feel is inappropriate. We will decide if it is a violation of the rules and address it, when necessary, with the offender. To be completely honest, there have also been occasions where I have asked the moderators to avoid engaging / provoking posters when I felt one of them was nearing the line of acceptability.

In certain cases, we have revoked the status of a user to post freely on the site due to a history of antagonistic posting. There are several users whose posts do not show up on the board until a moderator has viewed and approved them. Beyond that, there have been several posters who have been banned - both voluntarily and involuntarily - from the site.

It is difficult to moderate the site and I appreciate the assistance of the mods here. The trouble is that some users would prefer that we be laissez faire (aka, hands off) while others would like us to intervene and delete any post that they personally feel is a slight to the program that they follow. We have to try and keep a happy medium, allowing dialogue and discussion, yet weeding out the perpetual offenders.

It was our initial goal to have one moderator from each fan base. This may be a suitable time to see if there are users from SIU, Illinois State, Creighton, Bradley, and Indiana State wanting to take on the role. If you are interested or would like to nominate someone else as your school representative, please send me a PM.

Again, thanks for your continued participation on the site.

-Chris
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » January 10th, 2012, 10:55 pm

ShockValue wrote:I'm with glm that there are a couple of snipers who the mods could better control but theres still just a fraction of the antagonism that existed before. And I disagree with jwa in that I do think most people can separate a dumb comment from a dumb person.

Good follow up post.

Just for the record I think the administrator and moderators of the board do a pretty good job. Really better than any sports type forum that I've been a part of.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Off topic