Welcome back

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Welcome back

Postby DUBulldog » August 13th, 2010, 5:06 pm

At least that little "outage" was a lot shorter than when ValleyTalk used to disappear for weeks at a time.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome back

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Welcome back

Postby MoValley John » August 13th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Nice avatar, very original.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » August 13th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Yes, wlecome back to everyone. A brief synopsis of the last 24 hours is probably appropriate, so here is the Reader's Digest version. When we started the site last week it came pre-loaded with a main page logo for phpbb which we quickly removed and replaced with the first logo that came to mind - the logo of the Missouri Valley Conference. We had hoped to solicit creation of a site specific logo, but the logo of the MVC seemed to fit, so we left it on the main page for the first week. Anyway, the MVC contacted the host provider and explained that we were infringing on the league's copyright by using the logo and the site was suspended until the logo was removed. Unfortunately, this required the site to be down for the last 24 hours or so. I sent an email to MVC CFO Rich Steed to apologize for the error on our part, but did explain that this site was created as a resource for the fans and our intentions were not malicious. Nevertheless, it was an error on our part which will not be repeated.

For the time being, I inserted a very non-descriptive letterhead logo on the main page. If anyone has skills in design or computer graphics, send me an email - Admin@MVCfans.com. We'd love to have a unique logo image created in the near future.

We are excited about the potential for this site and we ask that you please share the link with your friends and respective fan bases. Basketball season is only a couple of months away and we look forward to another exciting year - we hope you will join us and become a part of MVCfans.com.

Thanks again.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby jlandrus11 » August 13th, 2010, 9:39 pm

I would like to thank you for creating this site. It is surely a lot better than valleytalk.
jlandrus11
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MVCfans » August 14th, 2010, 7:12 am

A sincere thank you to member - Polyfro - for his quick design of the site logo you see above. It is appreciated and I think it is an indication of the folks we have here who will make this a successful Missouri Valley Conference message board. I have changed his user status to "Supporter".

Thanks again, Polyfro.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby pafan » August 15th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Two thumbs down for whoever decided to go straight to the web provider without contacting the site administration beforehand :roll:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby unipanther99 » August 15th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Hey... At least we know someone in the office reads this stuff.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » August 15th, 2010, 9:46 pm

bigdawg wrote:
PricklyPete wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:Hey... At least we know someone in the office reads this stuff.

Which kind of surprises me to be honest. You think that's a good thing or a bad thing?

well I'd rather have them spending their time figuring out how the MVC can get out of the bracketbuster, but I'll give them a pass because there's not much going on right now for them to worry about.

The Bracketbuster has been good to UNI over the years. It's not perfect, but the Panthers do owe some of our recent success to those games.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby RoyalShock » August 16th, 2010, 11:59 am

pafan wrote:Two thumbs down for whoever decided to go straight to the web provider without contacting the site administration beforehand :roll:

I thought the same thing at first, but I wonder if it was actually done by the licensing/legal firm used by the MVC?

I had a similar issue years ago on ShockerNet, where I received something like a "cease and desist" letter from a college licensing company representing WSU. I had previously received permission from the WSU AD to use WSU graphics and the matter was cleared up quickly.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » August 17th, 2010, 4:30 pm

I would suggest contacting the guys that run ChampionshipSubdivison.com, if you ever need help with anything. They run this same program for their forums, and have a great site.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/

Also, one of the guys running the site is a graphic designer and has designed various things for members of the site and designed the cool header for the CS.com site I linked above. He also has his own website---http://www.mtwillie.com/
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Off topic