Long term effects of COVID on attendance

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Re: Long term effects of COVID on attendance

Postby 05Racer » February 7th, 2022, 11:56 am

First off, apologies to glm38. Knowing your personal situation helps me understand your frustration better. You have a right to be upset. Healthcare workers have not been supported enough from the beginning. I am a pacifist at heart and I don't like conflict. That's my personal situation. Health care professionals have more right to speak on the issue than most, but even then, I can't imagine every nurse shares the same opinion.

One of the things that our government has failed to do from the start is to support health care workers. Anyone with foresight should have predicted a need for more healthcare professionals. The National Guard should have been called in fairly early on to alleviate staffing shortages. That would help in the short term, but in the long term, special programs and grants to train more nurses and/or waive the college loan debt of nursing professionals and those studying to enter those fields would have ensured we have a long term supply. Anyone working in the healthcare industry should have gotten an extra stimulus check as well IMHO. Hospitals should have gotten temporary support from the government to handle the situation. Really hospitals should always get extra funding from the government but that's another discussion entirely. They thought nothing of bailing out banks in 2008 and auto companies after that, why not a bailout for all the small town hospitals that have closed in the past twenty years. Those government supported hospitals could have gone a long way towards alleviating the shortage of beds. They lost money consistently, but they provided a bulwark against crisis. If the government really cared about the cost of health care, they'd keep more hospitals open on the public dime to act as a check on unrestricted corporate greed.

I don't blame the people on the front lines. I pray for them. I also don't blame Joe Everyman who's tired of wearing a mask two years later or John Q. Entrepreneur who is barely hanging on to his small business through shutdowns and mandates that hurt his ability to stay in business. Everybody is a victim here. Everyone is hurting and angry. Nobody needs to be crucified. I blame our so-called leaders the vast majority of whom are corporate cronies in bed with big business.
05Racer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » February 7th, 2022, 1:46 pm

Aces44 wrote:
glm38 wrote:
Aces44 wrote:To be certain, I didn’t “Dump on” anyone.

But the data is becoming clearer by the day that the true determinants in getting The Rona and having it be seriously detrimental are : Vit D deficiency and Obesity

Having been Vaccinated appears to do next to nothing in stopping the spread and or curbing it’s effects on those Vit D deficient and obese.

I have no ill will towards medical professionals. I have much Angst for those pushing misinformation that leads to their bank Accts (that may or may not be you personally. I’ll have no way of knowing)

Not even close to being true. Try visiting a major hospital and seeing the percentage of people vaccinated vs unvaccinated that are seriously ill, hospitalized or that have died. It's astounding really how the vast majority are unvaccinated.

And you aren't dumping on anyone but then you make a Crack about bank accounts? I know of no one in the medical or health care community getting rich off of covid. What we are is tired, burning out and sick of misinformation.

It absolutely is true. The data is out there, I assume since you are in Healthcare, so you might want to educate yourself so you give people correct info.

Also: you must be kidding that no one is getting rich off this in Healthcare. That’s a hysterical comment. Everyone knows better.

Educate myself?? Are you in healthcare? Are you a healthcare professional? I'm assuming not due to the nonsense you are spouting. You obviously wouldn't know a fact if it ihit you in the face. I'll just leave you to your conspiracy theories. How sad for you.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 7th, 2022, 2:01 pm

05Racer wrote:First off, apologies to glm38. Knowing your personal situation helps me understand your frustration better. You have a right to be upset. Healthcare workers have not been supported enough from the beginning. I am a pacifist at heart and I don't like conflict. That's my personal situation. Health care professionals have more right to speak on the issue than most, but even then, I can't imagine every nurse shares the same opinion.

One of the things that our government has failed to do from the start is to support health care workers. Anyone with foresight should have predicted a need for more healthcare professionals. The National Guard should have been called in fairly early on to alleviate staffing shortages. That would help in the short term, but in the long term, special programs and grants to train more nurses and/or waive the college loan debt of nursing professionals and those studying to enter those fields would have ensured we have a long term supply. Anyone working in the healthcare industry should have gotten an extra stimulus check as well IMHO. Hospitals should have gotten temporary support from the government to handle the situation. Really hospitals should always get extra funding from the government but that's another discussion entirely. They thought nothing of bailing out banks in 2008 and auto companies after that, why not a bailout for all the small town hospitals that have closed in the past twenty years. Those government supported hospitals could have gone a long way towards alleviating the shortage of beds. They lost money consistently, but they provided a bulwark against crisis. If the government really cared about the cost of health care, they'd keep more hospitals open on the public dime to act as a check on unrestricted corporate greed.

I don't blame the people on the front lines. I pray for them. I also don't blame Joe Everyman who's tired of wearing a mask two years later or John Q. Entrepreneur who is barely hanging on to his small business through shutdowns and mandates that hurt his ability to stay in business. Everybody is a victim here. Everyone is hurting and angry. Nobody needs to be crucified. I blame our so-called leaders the vast majority of whom are corporate cronies in bed with big business.

This is a very good well thought out post. I agree with a lot of your points. There certainly have been a lot of failures. I will say that there are a few nurses and physicians that dispute the effectiveness of both vaccines and masking. But they are very much the exception. The overwhelming majority believe in both. Especially those on the very frontlines. Thanks for your heartfelt post.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » February 7th, 2022, 2:30 pm

One problem with calling up the National Guard is that in many if not most cases, medical professionals in the guard are medical professionals in civilian life too, so calling them up might just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

But you are right, more support is needed for our medical professionals.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces44 » February 7th, 2022, 3:16 pm

.[/quote]

Educate myself?? Are you in healthcare? Are you a healthcare professional? I'm assuming not due to the nonsense you are spouting. You obviously wouldn't know a fact if it ihit you in the face. I'll just leave you to your conspiracy theories. How sad for you.[/quote]

Who sounds more like a conspiracy theorist?
A) someone who thinks Vit D and Body Fat % contributes to one’s healthy immune system
B) or someone who doesn’t.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RacerJoeD » February 7th, 2022, 3:28 pm

B.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 05Racer » February 7th, 2022, 4:16 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:One problem with calling up the National Guard is that in many if not most cases, medical professionals in the guard are medical professionals in civilian life too, so calling them up might just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I had not even considered that. Good catch. Bottom line is the government needs to be putting more money into supporting our healthcare infrastructure and human resources. Only way to decrease costs is to increase supply. Private industry will never generate enough capacity to sustain the system through a crisis like COVID, because it's more profitable to cut it as close as you possibly can with very little excess capacity. That's why we have problems with overworked staff and burnout. You need excess capacity which is short term inefficient but critically necessary in times of crisis. Have to incentivize the supply side. Build more hospitals, train more doctors, more nurses, maybe even a shorter work week to build excess capacity into the system.
05Racer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Aces44 » February 7th, 2022, 4:45 pm

05Racer wrote:
RacerJoeD wrote:One problem with calling up the National Guard is that in many if not most cases, medical professionals in the guard are medical professionals in civilian life too, so calling them up might just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I had not even considered that. Good catch. Bottom line is the government needs to be putting more money into supporting our healthcare infrastructure and human resources. Only way to decrease costs is to increase supply. Private industry will never generate enough capacity to sustain the system through a crisis like COVID, because it's more profitable to cut it as close as you possibly can with very little excess capacity. That's why we have problems with overworked staff and burnout. You need excess capacity which is short term inefficient but critically necessary in times of crisis. Have to incentivize the supply side. Build more hospitals, train more doctors, more nurses, maybe even a shorter work week to build excess capacity into the system.

Spoken like someone who has never taken an Econ class.

More Government is a problem, not a solution. At least it’s never been in the history of time. Maybe this time is different….
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » February 7th, 2022, 5:35 pm

Aces44 wrote:
05Racer wrote:

Spoken like someone who has never taken an Econ class.

More Government is a problem, not a solution. At least it’s never been in the history of time. Maybe this time is different….

Wow for someone who thinks he's a healthcare and economic expert, you sure say stupid stuff. I agree more government is rarely the answer, but unregulated private business always fails in providing essential services because concerns with profits always interfere with equitable access and reasonable costs to the consumer. I'd say go back to school and take some classes , you think everyone else needs education; the problem for you is while ignorance can be addressed, stupid is forever and you caught it. :roll:
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces44 » February 7th, 2022, 5:54 pm

Wow for someone who thinks he's a healthcare and economic expert, you sure say stupid stuff. I agree more government is rarely the answer, but unregulated private business always fails in providing essential services because concerns with profits always interfere with equitable access and reasonable costs to the consumer. I'd say go back to school and take some classes , you think everyone else needs education; the problem for you is while ignorance can be addressed, stupid is forever and you caught it. :roll:[/quote]

Do you mind pointing out where I said anything remotely close to “unregulated private business”?

Also; everything I’ve said to this point is true. If you don’t know that, it’s on you.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic