Long term effects of COVID on attendance

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Re: Long term effects of COVID on attendance

Postby SalukiWorld » February 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm

hot nuts wrote:
bleach wrote:For those planning on going to Arch Madness, be aware that proof of vaccination or negative test is required. Masks are also required. May not be news but I hadn't heard it until tonights broadcast. This will undoubtedly affect attendance to some degree in a negative way. I'm so over Covid.

Does anybody know if fully vaccinated means the booster too?

Think as of now, full vaccinated is just first two doses
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 3rd, 2022, 4:43 pm

Bjhracer wrote:Has anyone been to an event this year where they actually asked to see vaccination status?

Yes, at the United Center you have to show your vaccination card to enter the building for Black Hawks or Bulls games. Same story at the Enterprise Center for a Blues game, though proof of a negative test was fine too.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 3rd, 2022, 4:53 pm

bleach wrote:Masks are also required.

They’ll put that in there for lawyer reasons, but they won’t enforce it. 80% weren’t wearing masks at the Blues and Black Hawks games I’ve been to.

They were strict last year but that was pre-vaccine.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Hooper » February 3rd, 2022, 6:17 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:

And how. I saw ushers literally screaming at fans if their mask was down between bites or drinks at Arch Madness last year. And they would stare you down afterwards almost daring you to take too long of a sip. Some of the worst power-tripping and unpleasant event staff I’ve ever encountered.
Hooper
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 3rd, 2022, 6:59 pm

Hooper wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:They were strict last year but that was pre-vaccine.

And how. I saw ushers literally screaming at fans if their mask was down between bites or drinks at Arch Madness last year. And they would stare you down afterwards almost daring you to take too long of a sip. Some of the worst power-tripping and unpleasant event staff I’ve ever encountered.

Yeah, I saw them threaten to throw out some old lady, LOL. And there was one usher who’d “pace” between 101-105 the entire game for anyone not wearing one.

Last year was nuts, but they weren’t like that this year at the Blues game I went to. I think they’ve relaxed it post-vaccine.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby NuncEstBibendum » February 3rd, 2022, 7:27 pm

Hooper wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:They were strict last year but that was pre-vaccine.

Yeah, I saw them threaten to throw out some old lady, LOL. And there was one usher who’d “pace” between 101-105 the entire game for anyone not wearing one.

Last year was nuts, but they weren’t like that this year at the Blues game I went to. I think they’ve relaxed it post-vaccine.

I don't understand the tension between those who don't want to wear a mask and those who care enough to do something that is so easy.

It's not a big deal and until we accept the fact that this is an endemic virus, why not just do it FFS?
Last edited by NuncEstBibendum on February 3rd, 2022, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NuncEstBibendum
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Campbellproud » February 3rd, 2022, 8:11 pm

I’m vaxed and boosted, respect COVID, etc. I’m fine with a vax requirement but the masking is a whole nother story for arch madness. I wear glasses, so it sucks to wear a mask for extended periods. But more so for Arch Madness if you are watching games for HOURS. I wouldn’t want to do that out of personal preference, just because it really sucks the fun out of it. If they have a mask policy that they don’t enforce I would be fine with it though. I’ll wear it as a chin strap but I’m not sitting there for 8 hours with my mask on. They are good intentioned, but being in a huge arena isn’t that much different than being outdoors. The risk of getting sick is super low in that setting and masking is largely pointless in such a large space. It’s just stupid to require it. If people want to wear one, that’s totally fine. But we need to draw a line at some point.
Campbellproud
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 3rd, 2022, 10:28 pm

NuncEstBibendum wrote:I don't understand the tension between those who don't want to wear a mask and those who care enough to do something that is so easy.

It's not a big deal and until we accept the fact that this is an endemic virus, why not just do it FFS?

Were you at Arch Madness Friday last year wearing your mask 8-9 hours?

It’s one thing to tell people online it’s so easy to do, but it’s not as easy to actually go and do it.

FTR, I always wore mine. But for some, that impacted their enjoyment whether it be comfort, ability to fully socialize, etc. So it’s fair for people discuss whether enforcement has changed before they commit $X00 to a weekend.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » February 3rd, 2022, 10:33 pm

Hooper wrote:

I got booted out last year for walking over and talking to a couple in the section next to us while fully masked. It's a couple I know well and talked to in the concourse during halftime of games. The attendant (Lee) was a real covid warrior.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 05Racer » February 4th, 2022, 12:04 am

bleach wrote:For those planning on going to Arch Madness, be aware that proof of vaccination or negative test is required. Masks are also required. May not be news but I hadn't heard it until tonights broadcast. This will undoubtedly affect attendance to some degree in a negative way. I'm so over Covid.

My Dad and I have had season tickets every season since the 80's until last year. He's a stubborn old man and doesn't want to wear a mask, and I'm an apathetic middle aged man who doesn't leave the house any more than I have to because I hate how people are fighting tooth and nail over masks for a disease only slightly more likely to kill me than a hundred others that have existed since forever. AFAIC, the whole world has gone nuts and I want no part of it.

Whatever anyone may think of people that don't get vaccinated and/or don't like the mask mandates, the mandates and policies are costing businesses customers and costing our economy money. That's sustainable for a while, but not forever. Nothing has infinite value, yes even lives. Politicians won't ever say that publicly, because they think we're too stupid to understand or so sheltered we will all be appalled at the notion that the value of a human life can be calculated to several decimal points. Fortunately, I had a level headed realist economics professor in college who explained the hard truth that politicians can, and do, put a monetary value on human life (at the time it averaged about two million dollars).

The bottom line is this. There is a point at which, macroeconomically speaking, the cost of COVID policies is greater than the value of the lives those policies are saving. Some people say we're not there yet. Some people think we passed it a while ago. Really smart, and not so smart people, can and do disagree about where that point is, but sooner or later the powers that be will all realize we've passed it somewhere and the debate will die down. The media will find something else to scare people to death with, the politicians will find some other issue to use to whip people into a frothing mouthed frenzy, and the caravan that is civilization will move on. Once we get to that point, we can begin to assess what the permanent costs of COVID were and historians and economists will take up the debate as to whether it was all worth it, or whether we'd have been better off doing nothing at all and letting the chips fall where they may.

My Dad might resume attending racer games at that point, or he might decide he likes staying at home sitting in his recliner and paying for ESPN+. The new conference will definitely increase the likelihood he and I will return, but neither of us are likely to return until most everybody is, like this poster, and like me, so over COVID.
05Racer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic