Long term effects of COVID on attendance

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Re: Long term effects of COVID on attendance

Postby RacerJoeD » February 7th, 2022, 10:49 am

unipanther99 wrote:
Aces44 wrote:To be certain, I didn’t “Dump on” anyone.

But the data is becoming clearer by the day that the true determinants in getting The Rona and having it be seriously detrimental are : Vit D deficiency and Obesity

Having been Vaccinated appears to do next to nothing in stopping the spread and or curbing it’s effects on those Vit D deficient and obese.

I have no ill will towards medical professionals. I have much Angst for those pushing misinformation that leads to their bank Accts (that may or may not be you personally. I’ll have no way of knowing)

As someone who is overweight and probably vitamin D deficient (at least this time of year), I can tell you my Covid infection in January was very mild. I'm thankful for the vaccine and to have been boosted prior to contracting Covid. I know unvaccinated folks who were otherwise healthy who have had some pretty bad experiences lately.

I think mandates have outlived their effectiveness and it's time to pivot to a different strategy where people can make their own informed decisions, but misinformation like this should still be called out.

I think it is reasonable to discuss the need for mandates to protect vulnerable populations. Do we need to sacrifice cancer patients or immunocompromised patients because healthy people believe lies that the vaccine either doesn't work (it does) or the vaccine itself is dangerous (it isn't)... or perhaps said differently, at what point do we create equal value of a choice that costs nothing and a lost life or permanent disability? For venues, and the universities that own them or lease them, will there be questions of liability and morality.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » February 7th, 2022, 10:53 am

But the data is becoming clearer by the day that the true determinants in getting The Rona and having it be seriously detrimental are : Vit D deficiency and Obesity

Having been Vaccinated appears to do next to nothing in stopping the spread and or curbing it’s effects on those Vit D deficient and obese.

I have no ill will towards medical professionals. I have much Angst for those pushing misinformation that leads to their bank Accts (that may or may not be you personally. I’ll have no way of knowing)

Not even close to being true. Try visiting a major hospital and seeing the percentage of people vaccinated vs unvaccinated that are seriously ill, hospitalized or that have died. It's astounding really how the vast majority are unvaccinated.

And you aren't dumping on anyone but then you make a Crack about bank accounts? I know of no one in the medical or health care community getting rich off of covid. What we are is tired, burning out and sick of misinformation.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 7th, 2022, 11:01 am

DUBulldog wrote:
glm38 wrote:Thanks. It's obvious SOME people are appreciative. These last couple of years have been far and away my toughest in a 40 year career in healthcare.

I also have 40+ years in healthcare. These last two years have been unprecedented.

What scares me more than anything is the burnout among healthcare professionals.[/quI'll,

Yes burnout is a real issue. I manage a department of 40 health care professionals and while we are managing ok currently other departments at my facility are not.

In my department most of us are in our 50s and 60s. I worry who will replace us? It gets harder every year to find qualified applicants.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » February 7th, 2022, 11:07 am

RacerJoeD wrote:I think it is reasonable to discuss the need for mandates to protect vulnerable populations. Do we need to sacrifice cancer patients or immunocompromised patients because healthy people believe lies that the vaccine either doesn't work (it does) or the vaccine itself is dangerous (it isn't)... or perhaps said differently, at what point do we create equal value of a choice that costs nothing and a lost life or permanent disability? For venues, and the universities that own them or lease them, will there be questions of liability and morality.

Are the risks to the vaccinated but immunocompromised significantly higher now than the risks of being out in public prior to Covid-19? If there is clear data showing that I might be inclined to agree. But if the difference is negligible, I think it's time to let people take off the masks (if they want), and encourage high quality respirators for the immunocompromised.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby RacerJoeD » February 7th, 2022, 11:17 am

That very well may be the best path forward, but until the unvaccinated covid infected stop overwhelming hospitals, the threat to vaccinated continues in denial of services.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces44 » February 7th, 2022, 11:25 am

glm38 wrote:

Not even close to being true. Try visiting a major hospital and seeing the percentage of people vaccinated vs unvaccinated that are seriously ill, hospitalized or that have died. It's astounding really how the vast majority are unvaccinated.

And you aren't dumping on anyone but then you make a Crack about bank accounts? I know of no one in the medical or health care community getting rich off of covid. What we are is tired, burning out and sick of misinformation.

It absolutely is true. The data is out there, I assume since you are in Healthcare, so you might want to educate yourself so you give people correct info.

Also: you must be kidding that no one is getting rich off this in Healthcare. That’s a hysterical comment. Everyone knows better.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Drakey » February 7th, 2022, 11:30 am

If anybody watched the Drake/UNI game Saturday you might see how the mask mandate affected attendance.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » February 7th, 2022, 11:38 am

Yeah I’m not buying that. I have people in my household who aren’t going to the games because even with a mask rules in place, too few are wearing masks. I’m sure some are staying home because of mask rules, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that not feeling safe in a mask less crowd is at least as impactful.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » February 7th, 2022, 11:45 am

I think the "staying at home because of others" crowd is always going to find a reason to stay at home.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby RacerJoeD » February 7th, 2022, 11:54 am

Some portion, sure. But that goes for "staying home because of mask rules" people too
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic